A good putter - what does it mean

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading these threads i have to accept that I'm probably the only below average putter on this forum....

So much for statistics 🤗

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading these threads i have to accept that I'm probably the only below average putter on this forum....

So much for statistics 🤗

I put myself down as bang average. I think that was optimistic. I play with 2 really awful putters most weeks so I am average compared to them :LOL:. On a wider scale, probably not so I will be happy to join you in the below average gang (y). (then again, you are off 12 so I suspect not so below average after all :unsure:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'd say for you to consider yourself a good putter you would have control of distance and be able to hole everything from 3ft.

My mate slow dave is a good putter as reg gets said to him if he couldn't put he would be off 7 rather than the 3 he is:ROFLMAO:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i'd say for you to consider yourself a good putter you would have control of distance and be able to hole everything from 3ft.

My mate slow dave is a good putter as reg gets said to him if he couldn't put he would be off 7 rather than the 3 he is:ROFLMAO:

Looking at it in absolutes I believe that there are two useful considerstions in terms of evaluation -

1. Length of putts holed during the round
2. The flip side of the above, often reflected in the string game, but how many shots would you save if you were able to claim any putt within 1ft of the hole as holed.

The former is the best measure by a long way (as with most such evaluations you have to look at the data long term) and when you come up with under 50ft consistently you have to accept that you really aren't hacking it on the greens (or your approach play is sublime!)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although putts per round, from inside 10ft etc are all well and good, over the last few years 'strokes gained' has gained traction as the most accurate reflection of how well it's going.

Obviously calculating this by hand isn't very easy, but there's a webpage which allows you to put in your putting distances and let's you work out your strokes gained against either a tour pro or (approximate) handicap level.
The underlying stats are based on mark broadie's analysis (apparently).
Probably best used to track progress (especially if used on the same course all the time) rather than as an 'absolute' value.
I would imagine you could also use it as a training aid on a putting green - do 18 different length putts and see how you do.
It's at https://www.golfrankingstats.com/strokes-gained-calculator/

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
My putting has been pretty poor since I started playing again regularly in 2012, always averaging near 36 putts per round.

I made some changes this year and have been working on it and it's now one of my biggest strengths. I have a ShotScope v2 and my putting stats over the last 20 rounds are as follows:

- Percentage of putts: 1 putts - 35%, 2 putts 63%, 3 putts 2%
- Percentage holed: 0 to 6 feet - 95.9%, 6 to 12 feet - 37.9%, 12 to 18 feet - 33.3%
- Average Putts per Round: 29.7
- Missed Long: 66%
- Average Proximity: Highest value up to 30 feet away is 2.5 feet, 3 feet average from 30+ feet away.

The stats have been an eye opener re. confirming that my putting has improved beyond recognition.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it means having a consistent routine being able to read the greens and confident with the short ones
I think Luke Donald hardly missed a putt inside 5 feet when was world number 1 his putting stats where off the scale on the short putts for about 3 years and that made him better than anyone else in the world.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Some years ago I played with an old chap who used an old blade like putter.
He would stand over the ball, put the blade in front of the ball, then lift it over to the back of the ball, and do a wristy swing. In it went. Putted like God.
I used to compliment him on his skill. Then he told me that when a lot younger he played at times with a well known pro turned commentator , who also praised his putting, telling him, If I could have putted like you, Pat, I'd have won it all.!
When I returned to golf last year, my putting was not good. I have gone to using a wristy action( as opposed to rocking the shoulders) and I have improved quite a bit.
As the Yanks say," Go figure"

Of all the skills in golf, I think putting is the one where natural talent comes into it more than learning technique.

Humpy

Visit site
Reading these threads i have to accept that I'm probably the only below average putter on this forum
Don't worry duncan, you are far from the only below average putter on this forum. I am currently averaging over 36 putts a round. Ok, I count all putts not just those from on the green. My last 3 rounds have seen me have 36, 37 and 39 putts...... It's long putting that does for me; just can't get anything over 15 feet plus to within gimme distance.
I basically bought myself a more suitable putter, the mallet face balance type suits me.
harpo, how did you come to the conclusion that a face balanced mallet was more suitable for you? I currently use a Ping Anser and am seriously thinking of trying a mallet. My stroke tends to be slightly inside back and then square going through although if I'm having a particularly bad day it becomes straight back or sometimes even out to in i.e. cutting the ball!!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I'd say what keeps my handicap single figures is my putting as my driving accuracy can be shoddy !

What makes me a good putter I'd say would be confidence, I approach every putt with the same pre-shot routine and expect to make every putt.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not a good putter, I put my recent improvement down largely to getting it closer. I play regularly with an awesome putter and suffice to say if he is on the green then his next putt will be a gimme. If indeed there is a next putt. Different level.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My putting has been pretty poor since I started playing again regularly in 2012, always averaging near 36 putts per round.

I made some changes this year and have been working on it and it's now one of my biggest strengths. I have a ShotScope v2 and my putting stats over the last 20 rounds are as follows:

- Percentage holed: 0 to 6 feet - 95.9%, 6 to 12 feet - 37.9%, 12 to 18 feet - 33.3%
- Average Proximity: Highest value up to 30 feet away is 2.5 feet, 3 feet average from 30+ feet away.

The stats have been an eye opener re. confirming that my putting has improved beyond recognition.
That's very good putting, from 12' on the PGA tour the average number of single putts is only 31% and 23% at 15'
https://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/05/31/strokes-gained-defined.html

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You have good putting days, - you have bad putting days accept it.

Sometimes when you miss you know you've pulled the putt or shoved it. Sometimes you hit a great putt and it bobbles or its a misread. That's golf. Tap in (hopefully) and walk on. Don't get hung up on it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

interesting to to know how these stats help you improve and what you think these stats show you?

TBH i couldn't even tell you how many puts i had on my last round let alone all of them

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
interesting to to know how these stats help you improve and what you think these stats show you?

TBH i couldn't even tell you how many puts i had on my last round let alone all of them

Likewise. I know during a round what is letting me down, I don't need to look at individual stats to tell me I missed X amount of fairways today or I didn't get up and down from 3 bunkers, or I had 8 chances within 10 feet and only holed twice.

People get hung up about so much, minds must be so cluttered with "rubbish".

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Sometimes you might be surprised. Last year I thought one aspect of my game was off - scores weren't great, but when I looked at the stats it was actually something else that wasn't quite firing. Sometimes something really good can mask something that was a bit off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not kept stats but I know that using the Visio template and putting gates has greatly improved my stroke. I feel I read the greens very well and I start the ball far more often on my chosen line these days. I have been working very hard at the 2-4 feet distance which I feel is a distance most could improve at and really can give confidence to a round if you can make some up and downs from that distance or hole these for par. I still have bad days and still play the tinkerer too often in terms of changing makes and model so going to have to bite the bullet at some point. I might even have a flash putter sale on here. I am working hard on my putting this winter and have an app to record my efforts and chart my progress

User20204

Visit site
Stats can be a strange thing. Today I probably drove the ball as well as I ever have, ever, I used a fairway mat twice today, go figure.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
What makes a good putter ? Definitely not me ,I'm bloody terrible, my best ever round is a gross 75, par 70. My putts for that round were a very very poor 40 ,which makes me probably the worst putter on the forum.
It's not just that round but many others as well ,I can miss from a foot just as easy as missing from ten feet.the amount of three putts I have in a round is very annoying and it's no fun walking into a green with a very makeable birdie putt to then walking off with a bogey.