A first for me anyway.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
so what is this first well it was a lesson with my home pro Keith Robson former european tour player and best man at Sam Torrance`s wedding.
Top bloke is Keith and he had my problem sorted within two minutes of the lesson starting. basically it was an alignment issue with my shoulders which was making me hit pull after pull and it wasnt a pretty sight to see the ball flying thirty yards left of target time and again .Keith had me stand a little closer to the ball in setup and to keep my shoulders squarer to the target line he told me to grip the club only with my left hand and then take my stance before bringing my right hand in to grip the club,this kept me a lot squarer to the target and my shots almost instantly became nice and straight ,I did suffer a slight loss of distance but the ball would have been in the middle of the fairway and in play as opposed to being somewhere in the bloody boondocks .
all in all a well spent few quid and im booking up another lesson in a months time to see about getting a few extra yards on the driver as my swing speed suggests somewhere around 235 to 245 and im not hitting those yardages very often if at all .220 being an average ..
so now its time to keep hitting the range to ingrain what Keith has shown me.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
so what is this first well it was a lesson with my home pro Keith Robson former european tour player and best man at Sam Torrance`s wedding.
Top bloke is Keith and he had my problem sorted within two minutes of the lesson starting. basically it was an alignment issue with my shoulders which was making me hit pull after pull and it wasnt a pretty sight to see the ball flying thirty yards left of target time and again .Keith had me stand a little closer to the ball in setup and to keep my shoulders squarer to the target line he told me to grip the club only with my left hand and then take my stance before bringing my right hand in to grip the club,this kept me a lot squarer to the target and my shots almost instantly became nice and straight ,I did suffer a slight loss of distance but the ball would have been in the middle of the fairway and in play as opposed to being somewhere in the bloody boondocks .
all in all a well spent few quid and im booking up another lesson in a months time to see about getting a few extra yards on the driver as my swing speed suggests somewhere around 235 to 245 and im not hitting those yardages very often if at all .220 being an average ..

I had a few lessons recently and had the same issue and the same fix was given, works a great, confident line up and ensuring hands in the right place/distance just gives you one thing less to worry about as well.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
excellent to hear and such a simple thing to spot! Hopefully it will be just as simple to put into play.

How are the Yonex clubs behaving? Well I hope.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Good write up and as you say, the hard work starts now to make the changes permanent. Stick at it and looking forward to seeing that handicap tumble. It's funny how often it's just a small tweak that produces such big results

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks for the replies chaps. Guy the marathons will have to wait but the course when it is playable[total bog at the moment ]will be getting a good going over .
Hines ,the Yonex are great ,i love the sound i get when i hit one out of the sweet spot. they also have a lovely feel to them ,almost mizuno like.
homer it was a relief that it was only a small adjustment required and that the issue was soon sorted ,a big bonus is that i have incorporated my new stance routine into my preshot routine, this in itself is a good thing as i have been known to rush things a little ,this will just put a couple of seconds to my routine and steady me down .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
thanks for the replies chaps. Guy the marathons will have to wait but the course when it is playable[total bog at the moment ]will be getting a good going over .
Hines ,the Yonex are great ,i love the sound i get when i hit one out of the sweet spot. they also have a lovely feel to them ,almost mizuno like.
homer it was a relief that it was only a small adjustment required and that the issue was soon sorted ,a big bonus is that i have incorporated my new stance routine into my preshot routine, this in itself is a good thing as i have been known to rush things a little ,this will just put a couple of seconds to my routine and steady me down .

Good idea, about the pre-shot routine (as long as it's not too long, or you're get the pace of play police on here moaning!!) and nothing wrong with giving yourself that extra second or two to settle over the ball. Rushing is something I can be guilty of and I'm trying to find a quick, repeatable routine, where I can take a breath, have a clear focus and feel calm and confident over the ball. Not quite there yet and still stand there with swing thoughts at the front of my mind (though nowhere near as many as two-three years ago)