A dissertation question on golf

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to do a dissertation next year for my degree in Physical Education.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of anyone that has done any form of dissertation around golf.

I was thinking of comparing either pro's and amateurs, or equipment against each other and the true figures they generate.

Any ideas?

PS. realistic ideas, low budget!

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
comparing pros and amateurs would be fascinating, the work into 10,000 hours (not sure by who) whereby anyone with a form of ability who spends 10,000 hours performing the task should then master it would be quite good to look at. Kind of takes you down the practise over natural ability route.... and how does this then apply to the professionsals?? I've always been pretty fascinated by the idea of "natural" ability and how does that work.
you could then link in ideas around age etc, so for instance myself, i have just started gold this year at the age of 26... what would realistically be my maximum level of performance, and how would that differ against if i had of started younger???
Kind of compare the two as well, so would a 16 year old that played for ten years then stopped get to a lower hcap than a 26 yr old that played for 10 years then stopped.

hmmmmmm kind of has me interested now haha.... might do this for myself haha, good luck though and if you need any information im sure the forum will be more than happy to help.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Best of luck.

I would suggest reading "Bounce" by Matthew Syed who talks about the making of champions and how they are made and not born .

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about the role of golf in the Physical Educational National Curriculum? The golf foundation are doing a lot of work in schools now... And as you will know accurate replication of movement skills is in the pe national curriculum.....

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate did something on golf for his degree in psychology. I believe it was around visualizing shots and whether that made a difference. He made up all the results etc but it was built on theory that already existed lol.

Maybe doing something around muscle memory and drills?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What mix of attributes make the best players. Dexterity, mental approach, fitness, practice, theory, equipment, natural ability, age, support, wealth, ????

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO it would be better to focus your work around something more specific and easily researchable.

Remember that choosing a subject for a dissertation is more about what you actually write about, it needs to be something you can get lots of supporting or contrasting material on and which you can reference from a wide variety of sources.

Read just as much on how to write a good dissertation as you read for preliminary work.