A couple of questions about the golf swing

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a couple of general questions about the golf swing and I'd like to pick the brains of the experienced lot on here if you please.

First one.
During the backswing when the club is parallel to the ground, should the toe be pointing straight up? And what what would happen if it was closed slightly?

Secondly.
How flat or steep should you take the club back? And what are the repercussions of doing one or the other? Have you any examples of the perfect take away?

The reason I ask is I had a lesson on saturday but Im worried I may start taking the club back too flat and opening to clubface too much.

Sorry for the length BTW and I hope you can help

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try filming your swing from behind down the line. Pause the swing when the shaft is horizontal.
Personally, I like to see when the shaft is horizontal it is parallel with your target line and the clubface is hooded a little. (Pointing about 1 o'clock on the clockface)
But as always, it's more important what it's doing in the downswing. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks bob, helpful as always :)

What would be the main differences if the toe was pointing to 12 as opposed to 1 o'clock? Fade/slice etc?

It would be a touch open. As you attempt to square it back up into impact, you might leave it open or over-do it and close it. It would depend largely on your grip which shape you got but a fade would be the most likely I'd say.