A bit of advice

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right I have been trying and trying but really cannot get on with my 5 fairway wood. So I was wondering if it is worth my time getting maybe a 3 Iron instead. I am pretty fair with my irons, mostly straight and they seem to suit my swing. So would it be worth me getting a 3 Iron, my clubs go up to a 4 at the moment, or should I be looking at somethng else?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Difficult to know if a 3iron would suit you or not, but it's often difficult to hit.

Have you considered hybrids? 17-19deg would be about right, I would suggest.

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought of these but as I said very comfortable with Irons so my first thought was go for an iron as my swing seems to suit them. The weirdest thing is I can use my driver fine, just not the fairway wood.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
3-iron and 5-wood don't seem to be equivalent to me - but only out by 1 club.

Likewise, I'd suggest checking out hybrids, though there seem more 'wood oriented' than 'iron oriented' ones. Earlier ones, like the original TM Rescue play more like irons imo. Adams also produce a huge range, so there'll be one in there that is 'iron-like'. The Idea Pro that I had certainly seemed that way.

And there's always the option of learning to hit the 5-wood. Worth considering why you don't hit it well. Is the shaft the equivalent to the Driver that you do? Are you swinging it the same? What are your bad shots with it?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought of these but as I said very comfortable with Irons so my first thought was go for an iron as my swing seems to suit them. The weirdest thing is I can use my driver fine, just not the fairway wood.

Next time you are playing a social game, ask if any of the group has a hybrid they would let you have a go with,
You never know until you try.

The ball position for hybrids is meant to be similar to that of an iron, so you might find you are comforatable with them

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said, I'd recommend a hybrid. But don't hit it the same way you would a Wood (if that makes sense). Hit the same way you would an iron and you'll be surprised ow easy they are to use compared to longer irons.

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Will maybe look at Hybrids but yes they seem very wood like in shape etc. I have tried with my wood and even my pro is scratching his head. He does not seem to understand why I can't use it. As I said my iron play is good, my driver I hit pretty well straight and a good 220 yds on average. Just the 5 fairway wood I can't seem to hit it off the ground or the tee.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a 3 iron. On days I'm swing well it can be awesome, but on bad days its a risky club to carry.

What I would say is if your going to get one try and look for a cavity one that's a little more forgiving, or even a mizuno fli hi 3iron but Without a doubt try and hit it first.