95% Calculation to go?

wjemather

Visit site
The accordingly could be to leave them as they are.
I find it very unlikely that the stats gave us 85% and 75% as the best answers. They are more likely to be very rough approximations. Whether they would need to be changed, I can't say for certain. Leaving them as they are, but embedding 95% or 93% might make them more accurate than they are now, who knows?
In the Australian system they use the word "handicap" once only.
Unlike our 3 uses of Handicap Index, Course Handicap, Playing Handicap.
GA Index and Daily Handicap.
Far less confusion and disquiet - none mostly.
Of course they are rounded, but if 95% (or 93%) of 85% was more equitable, the allowance would have been 80%.

With the previous GA system being extremely similar to WHS, there has been very little change for Australian golfers to get to grips with.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Of course they are rounded, but if 95% (or 93%) of 85% was more equitable, the allowance would have been 80%.

With the previous GA system being extremely similar to WHS, there has been very little change for Australian golfers to get to grips with.
Please show your working-out?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Here is an example. One example is nothing to extrapolate from. Don't make too much of this.

Player has a Course Handicap of 15.3. Current system he/she is rounded to 15 then takes all allowances from this. Individual strokeplay handicap is 14.

Apply the 95% to 15.3 and it is still 15. His individual strokeplay handicap is one shot higher.

His 85% and 75% allowances remain the same as before. They do not need to be changed.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That would be an upgrade for sure. (y)
versus
"What's your handicap"? ..."Which one"?
Virtually all American golfers I've met use 'Index'. My assumption, confirmed when I've queried, is that it's the 'constant' wheras 'handicap' indeed varies.
It's simply that Brits have used 'Handicap' for a long time and haven't got use to the 'new way'.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Here is an example. One example is nothing to extrapolate from. Don't make too much of this.

Player has a Course Handicap of 15.3. Current system he is rounded to 15 then takes all allowances from this. Individual strokeplay handicap is 14.

Apply the 95% to 15.3 and it is still 15. His individual strokeplay handicap is one shot higher.

His 85% and 75% allowances remain the same as before. They do not need to be changed.
Except for viewers in Scotland (y)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Player has a Course Handicap of 15.3. Current system he/she is rounded to 15 then takes all allowances from this. Individual strokeplay handicap is 14.

Sorry Voyager, how does somebody in Leicestershire have a course handicap of 15.3? Perhaps I have missed something and if so apologies

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still don't know why they didn't just embed the 95% into the Course handicap calculation in the first place, instead of golfers having to apply a playing allowance in virtually every competitive round they play (unless singles match play), or not applying it at all if all they are worried about is handicap. Just stick it in there, give players a course handicap, and let them get on with playing golf. The only time they need worry about applying something would be fourball match-play, but they were used to that from pre-WHS anyway. Any other playing allowances are likely to be in less common formats, in which a competition organiser is likely to provide playing handicaps to players (like in Opens, in which that was frequently the case pre-WHS)

The Australians were bold enough to do this, but I guess they are happy to make bold decisions after kicking a World No 1 tennis player out of their country.

I think you answered your own question in the in the third sentence.

We play lots of different formats where I play not just singles and 4BBB and you need a system that works at every club.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Sorry Voyager, how does somebody in Leicestershire have a course handicap of 15.3? Perhaps I have missed something and if so apologies
Well, if he/she has a HI of 15.3 and plays a course with SR 113...

Or, if he/she has a HI of 15.0 and plays a course with SR 115 = (15.265)

I think the bit you missed was the discussion of changing to a system where the 95% is embedded in the calculation (eg the Australian system) and course handicap is not rounded, but the only rounding that occurs is after the 95% is applied.
Your apology is whole-heartedly accepted.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I do not see any problem with the current system just a problem with those incapable of reading the rules of the comp and the charts provided or checking or the computer where it is all displayed.

bingo for me too.

and those who are too oblivious to do a bit of research and understand the topic a bit more, rather than just scream ‘it’s rubbish and everything needs changing’