60º Wedge Yardage conundrum.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have a yardage on a 60* wedge...why? Are you trying to hit over a wall from the rough or something?
IMO not the right choice of club for a standard 65yrd shot.

I have a yardage on it because when I have a 65 yd shot it's the obvious selection!

This doesn't mean I would use it from less but, at 60-65 it's going to get selected as I wouldn't have to think about anything except 'normal shot'

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
While I can understand the sentiment, I'm actually the other way around.

My go-to wedge is my 52 and I don't use the 56 off the fairway. But if the distance is 'right' for my 60* (40, 60 or 70) than that's the club I'll use. I actively try to avoid getting myself into situations where I NEED a lob shot (short-sided etc) so would hope to only use the lob for those specific distances! :rolleyes:

What shot would you hit to a pin 60 yrds away but into a gusty wind? (genuine question)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What shot would you hit to a pin 60 yrds away but into a gusty wind? (genuine question)

I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but you have to decide on an imaginary yardage that you'd want to hit if conditions were flat still.

I personally don't think "what club will go 65yds into this wind"
It's more like "I think this wind will make the shot 10yds longer so I want a club and swing that goes 75yds.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

chip with a rescue club (not a genuine answer)

I generally work as Region3 outlines - ie I work wind, temp, slope and actual distance into a practical distance to play.

However, my genuine answer would be that if the conditions were so gusty, and the target so distance sens itive, I would probably look to minimise the influencing factors. Example - pin 60yds, bunker 55, 15 yds of green behind sloping b2f, - computes to a knockdown high spin low trajectory shot aimed 10yds past pin. Could hit it with any of 5 clubs, inc 60 degree wedge!

I can't help feeling that there is a huge missunderstanding in this thread over terminology - I, and others, may hit a 60 degree 65 yds, for example, with what we consider a full shot with that club; however the swing we use is probably a long way short of what you, and others, consider a full swing!

This accounts for the distance variables, the perceived risk of a full shot with a 60 (I don't see any risk!) etc

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
chip with a rescue club (not a genuine answer)

I generally work as Region3 outlines - ie I work wind, temp, slope and actual distance into a practical distance to play.

However, my genuine answer would be that if the conditions were so gusty, and the target so distance sens itive, I would probably look to minimise the influencing factors. Example - pin 60yds, bunker 55, 15 yds of green behind sloping b2f, - computes to a knockdown high spin low trajectory shot aimed 10yds past pin. Could hit it with any of 5 clubs, inc 60 degree wedge!

I can't help feeling that there is a huge missunderstanding in this thread over terminology - I, and others, may hit a 60 degree 65 yds, for example, with what we consider a full shot with that club; however the swing we use is probably a long way short of what you, and others, consider a full swing!

This accounts for the distance variables, the perceived risk of a full shot with a 60 (I don't see any risk!) etc

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not saying their is a right or wrong way for hitting the ball 60ryds. But for me (someone who considers his short game the best aspect of his game) a full shot with a 60* wedge doesn't even enter my thoughts. I only carry a 60* wedge for bunker shots or getting over a hazard

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why would you want to hit a LW full out anyway. It isn't really designed for that use. The clue is in the title "LOB wedge" indicating something with finesse. If you want to hit it 60 yards use another wedge and a smooth half swing. As for hitting 60 yards in a strong wind surely the answer is anything that gets it low and under the wind

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So tell us what you use a "PITCHING wedge" and a "SAND wedge" for?
Surely they're only names. Might as well be called 10, 11 and 12 irons.

I'll use whatever club I think will fit the bill best, no matter what club it is and what swing I have to use for it, provided I'm confident I can pull it off most of the time.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the bottom line is we all see different shots when on the course. I like to hit a nice LW from 70 yards as that shot is fairly consistent, also it does not matter if the pin is cut tight to the front or I am hitting onto a green that slopes F2B, it is going to stop on a 6 pence and get me close.

Everyone plays the game differently. Look at people like Mickleson, he will flop a shot right up in the air onto a fast green that slopes away from, when ask most of the players and they would pitch it short and let it run to the hole, different people, different ideas.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I seem to be having distance issues with my 60º lob wedge, it just goes nowhere.
No matter how hard I hit it I just can't get it to go more than 60yds

Mine's 105yds... and Swingers is 160! ;)

How far do you WANT to hit it?

If you're staying centered and picking it clean out of the middle of your stance with little/no shaft lean then 85yds would be considered pretty good... if you weight up your left side, put the ball back 2" and hit down hard with 15 degrees of forward shaft lean then you can fire it 90yds with a 3/4 swing :whistle:

Are you hitting it high like a 'sliding underneath' lob shot?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you weight up your left side, put the ball back 2" and hit down hard with 15 degrees of forward shaft lean then you can fire it 90yds with a 3/4 swing :whistle:

I reckon I can get an easy 150 from it loading my right side and using the leading edge with a 1/2 swing :whistle:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine's 105yds... and Swingers is 160! ;)

How far do you WANT to hit it?

If you're staying centered and picking it clean out of the middle of your stance with little/no shaft lean then 85yds would be considered pretty good... if you weight up your left side, put the ball back 2" and hit down hard with 15 degrees of forward shaft lean then you can fire it 90yds with a 3/4 swing :whistle:

Are you hitting it high like a 'sliding underneath' lob shot?

I'm hitting it from the middle of my stance with my weight on my left side, and I only take a small, shallow divot. Should I have my hands further forward or maybe the ball further back in my stance?
It just doesn't seem to have any ooomph in it, although it is reasonably accurate.

Slime.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm reasonably happy with my iron play and can generally hit my irons as far as or further than many of the people I play with, however as with driving I wonder how accurate peoples perception of distance is?

I'll admit there are differences in lofts in manufacturers 60 degree wedges and I sold on some MD wedges that seemed to be one loft stronger than that stamped on the club.

However going back to the subject a good 60 degree wedge for me is 50 yds. My 54 degree SW will go 70 yds, GW 90 yds, PW 115 yds, 9 iron 130 yds, 8 iron 145 yds and 7 iron 160 yds.

Working on similar "typical" yardages some people must be hitting their 7 irons almost 200 yds :fore:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm reasonably happy with my iron play and can generally hit my irons as far as or further than many of the people I play with, however as with driving I wonder how accurate peoples perception of distance is?

I'll admit there are differences in lofts in manufacturers 60 degree wedges and I sold on some MD wedges that seemed to be one loft stronger than that stamped on the club.

However going back to the subject a good 60 degree wedge for me is 50 yds. My 54 degree SW will go 70 yds, GW 90 yds, PW 115 yds, 9 iron 130 yds, 8 iron 145 yds and 7 iron 160 yds.

Working on similar "typical" yardages some people must be hitting their 7 irons almost 200 yds :fore:

It's very weird how people's distances through the bag vary so much. My 7 is also around 160, but my 60° goes about 80 on the rare occasion I use it for a full swing. :confused:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The harder I hit it the higher it goes. 60-70 yds sky high not only loses accuracy but increases the risk a 150 yd bullet 3ft off the ground :eek:

I'll stick to my poor 50 yd, smooth tempo, 3/4 swing rather than sacrificing control and accuracy over distance ;)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
So tell us what you use a "PITCHING wedge" and a "SAND wedge" for?
Surely they're only names. Might as well be called 10, 11 and 12 irons.

I'll use whatever club I think will fit the bill best, no matter what club it is and what swing I have to use for it, provided I'm confident I can pull it off most of the time.

I use the pitching wedge to get tent pegs in, and the sand wedge to help my kids make small historic building on the beach. :lol::smirk::fore:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I gave up hitting full 60 degree wedge shots in about 1995.

Way to inconsistent for my liking.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A club is a club is a club.......

The "lob" wedge is no different to the 7 iron - with the obvious exception of length and loft.
You can play the same shot (either full, half 5/8ths or whatever) with either/any club. The outcome will be different but the swing can be the same.
To my mind the purpose of "gapping" your clubs correctly is so that when you have a 70 yard shot - assuming a "normal" situation - you know which club to reach for. You put the same swing on the ball regardless of the club and let the loft do the work.
If I have 75 yards to the pin and 70 yards to carry a bunker then the 58* comes out and a normal swing should see me stop the ball a yard or 3 from the flag. Trying to hit a half or 3/4 or 5/8ths shot with a SW is, for me, either going low'n'long or in the bunker.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Took my 60* to the range tonight to find out what sort of distance it flights (as I've said, I've never played this shot on course) and I was amazed a good full swing was flighting the 70yrd green. Could even push it out to the 100yrd green with a good press forward and a axe murderer swing.
The 70yrd green usually gets peppered with my 56* wedge shot.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must admit, I don't care how long or how short. I hit my irons. As long as the gaps are right and I use the same swing. Plus I know the distances. What more do you need?