60º Wedge Yardage conundrum.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem to be having distance issues with my 60º lob wedge, it just goes nowhere.
No matter how hard I hit it I just can't get it to go more than 60yds when I think it should be going 75yds minimum...........maybe a ball position problem? My twin bro has an identical wedge & hits his about 95 yards and he's normally only one club longer than me.
I have the ball in the middle of my stance when hitting all my wedges, my 55º sand wedge goes about 95yds if that's any help.
Thanks guys,

Slime.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the main problem I have seen when people hit these high lofted wedges full is that they do not keep their hands ahead of the ball, making the ball just fly up in the air and get no forward motion. But to give you an idea on distance with a LW........ I hit a nice 9-iron 150 yards and get 80 yards from a nice smooth 60* LW. So I do not really hit it a mile compared to my irons, even though I do hit it really well on full shots.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's obviously broken.
Throw it away or sell it on ebay and get yourself a 21 hybrid ;)

I don't think it is broken.
Iit's got a grooved piece of metal at one end, a long silvery thing coming out of it with a long black piece of rubber at the other end, is this not normal?
Oh...............and a *** holding the long rubber thing :whistle:.

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't get any distance out of high lofted clubs either. Although I can hit 270yard drives regulary, like you I only get about 60 out of a lobwedge max. It's the main reason I don't carry one, as I don't trust them to give me consistent distance on full shots.

My 50degree gap wedge flies about 95-100, which again isn't a big distance.

Doesn't overly bother me

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I need to stop reading posts like this - when some people can hit lob and gap wedges as far as I hit a 9 iron it starts me thinking that golf isn't a game for me!!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
SLIME -- I carry a 60 degrees Lob Wedge too, mainly as its great Sand club.
But to be Honest, I NEVER try and hit it any further than 50-60yards, as thats a Nice Smooth Easy Swing
I could hit it further.......But prefer Not to hit at the Ball

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Forget 60 degree yardages would be my opinion.
You need to weigh up what obstacles are in front of you and do you really need to hit a full distance shot or a more constructed half or 3/4 shot with more control.
A controlled sw will be more accurate than a balls out lob, again my opinion but when do you ever seen a pro try to nail a lob instead of a spinning half shot? If the lob was so accurate they would be doing it more often and they are supposed to be a lot better than us hackers.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You need to weigh up what obstacles are in front of you and do you really need to hit a full distance shot or a more constructed half or 3/4 shot with more control.
A controlled sw will be more accurate than a balls out lob, again my opinion

Unless you shank it ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive been trying to keep my approaches down this last while. full wedges when the wind is blowing was hurting my game!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
SLIME -- I carry a 60 degrees Lob Wedge too, mainly as its great Sand club.
But to be Honest, I NEVER try and hit it any further than 50-60yards, as thats a Nice Smooth Easy Swing
I could hit it further.......But prefer Not to hit at the Ball

A controlled sw will be more accurate than a balls out lob, again my opinion but when do you ever seen a pro try to nail a lob instead of a spinning half shot? If the lob was so accurate they would be doing it more often and they are supposed to be a lot better than us hackers.

Good points, well made. May well review my LW situation & reserve it for when it HAS to be a lob shot.
Thanks guys.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to find out what works best for you. I love my LW and can hit it pretty consistent 70 yards every time, so I know if I leave myself around that mark I can hit the middle of the green without having to grip down or hit half shots. But it is what works best for you. I have a mate with a 64* LW and he is deadly with it on full shots. I am not a fan of hitting my SW from the fairway when they are firmer as it has 12* bounce on it and I find I can't get good control as it can sometimes make me hit it a dimple thin.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Lw has the potential to be quite accurate for distances as if you swing a little bit further it goes up a bit more and not so much forward more, which makes it quite forgiving in terms of distance conrol.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I need to stop reading posts like this - when some people can hit lob and gap wedges as far as I hit a 9 iron it starts me thinking that golf isn't a game for me!!

me too

60 degree goes 65yds for me
56 (SW) 78
52 92
46 (PW) 118

all summer carry distances

otoh I am not considered short with the big stick :whistle:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have a yardage on a 60* wedge...why? Are you trying to hit over a wall from the rough or something?
IMO not the right choice of club for a standard 65yrd shot.

Surely if duncan mackie is 60 - 65 yards out he'd be foolish to try to manufacture a shot when he knows he'll be close with a well struck 60º wedge, or am I missing something?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
A full swing on a 60* wedge is not a percentage shot in my eyes. As murph has said before, the 60* wedge is poison to handicapped golfers.
A half swing with a 56* would be my personal choice.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A full swing on a 60* wedge is not a percentage shot in my eyes. As murph has said before, the 60* wedge is poison to handicapped golfers.

Completely agree.....
Why would you want to hit a full 60 degree wedge when it was designed to Lob the ball up not forward!
This is a club for short shots over trouble or when you short side yourself.....
At 85 yards for a SW if you grip it down the handle you'll take the 10 yards off that your looking for with a murdered lob wedge.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While I can understand the sentiment, I'm actually the other way around.

My go-to wedge is my 52 and I don't use the 56 off the fairway. But if the distance is 'right' for my 60* (40, 60 or 70) than that's the club I'll use. I actively try to avoid getting myself into situations where I NEED a lob shot (short-sided etc) so would hope to only use the lob for those specific distances! :rolleyes: