5 Wood shaft experiment

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently got a Taylor Made Aeroburner mini driver as my 3 wood replacement (pressie from the Mrs)

The reason I got this was I have always struggled with my 3 and 5 woods off the tee and off the fairway so generally don't use them. I have owned and tried hybrids but not really got on with them either (3 in the garage now waiting to be snapped) .

My irons are extended as I am fairly tall and I can hit a decent long iron so its not been too much of an issue but as I have gradually improved (too gradually!!) I have found its a gap in my game compared to others at the same standard or slighly better than me and certainly compared to the lower HC players I sometimes play with.

The Mini Driver is working out great off the tee but not really used it much off the deck until recently and have found myself hitting it quite well there also. One of the attractions of this club was the shaft length - longer than a standard 3 wood but not as long a s a driver and that got me thinking......

I took the shaft out of my old R9 3 wood and fitted it to my R11 5 wood and hey presto I can hit it!!!

After year of failing misirably so avoiding using these clubs I am hitting this club regulary most rounds now and I cannot believe the difference - the longer shaft is definitely staying in.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How tall are you? Maybe it's just that, if you were fit for your clubs you would've been given longer shafts.

I'm 6'4 and my clubs are 1/2 inch longer than standard and it has made a big difference to me. I don't do this with woods/ hybrids as I feel they are long enough though.

What was your bad shot? Tops? Slices? Hooks?

Most likely slices I would guess?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My brother in law is a healthy 6'4 - opposite end of the bag to you, but he couldn't hit a wedge without thinning it terribly. Got fitted and had 1/2 inch added, boom, he can hit them!

People give fitting a bad name sometimes, but for people of height it is an eye-opener!

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am 6'3".

My irons are actually 1 & 1/2 inches longer than standard although wedges (which were the same) were recently reduced to 1" after a fitting.

My previous bad shots were tops or slices but never knew what was comming and lost all confidence.

Very happy with the new setup but still suprises me that I am hitting it as well as I am with the change. In fact every shot with it I am getting a buzz as I have had come to expect a poor shot so seeing it fly is a real positive.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In my quest for the right fairway set up I've tried swapping the shafts of my 3 and 5 wood BB's.
Same shaft, about 3\4 inch difference.
Can't hit them.
Swap them back?
No problem.....
Beats me.....