40 seconds

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were having a discussion after our round yesterday about the new 40 seconds for your shot guideline.

One of the guys timed my mime of what I do ( and I added in a couple of practice swings which I do not normally do) and I came in at 15 seconds for a middle of the fairway type shot.

Has anybody else been assessing theirs?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing I am somewhere between 10-15 seconds so not really an issue for me.

Is there a penalty for going over 40 seconds or is it just suggested?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I've decided on yardages and chosen a club while someone else is playing it's about 15 sec or less to pick a line, step up, get comfortable at address and pull the trigger.
If I'm first up and need to ping a yardage/decide on a club/decide to lay up or not etc that could add another 15 secs. So I think 40 secs is sufficient in 95% of cases. If, say you have a very awkward stance in a bunker and need to try various directions and foot placements etc I could imagine it taking longer than 40secs which is acceptable for these unusual shots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea but I'd hazard a guess at 30 seconds, if you include arriving at your ball, reading the yardage, pulling the club, practise swing and then actual swing. Obviously if I can get to my ball while someone else is hitting I can read the yardage and get the club then so the overall time for my turn would be more like 15 seconds.

Wolf

Visit site
Can't say I've ever though to time myself, but I'd hazard a guess that if I'm able to get to my ball whilst my playing partners are doing there thing I can do all the assessment before it's my turn to play so including practice swing around 15-20 seconds. If that's not viable then including distance check and club selection - 30-35 seconds. On the greens much quicker as there is no reason not to be reading your putt and developing a line whilst others putt.

I think 40 seconds is plenty for everyone.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing I am somewhere between 10-15 seconds so not really an issue for me.

Is there a penalty for going over 40 seconds or is it just suggested?

No, unless you are a professional or it is in the conditions of a competition. It is just a recommendation.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a guy that freezes over the ball and has been timed at 42 seconds from addressing the ball to hitting it. That's an average time for him and he's taken as long as 51 seconds. It's a standing joke at our place. I'm not sure anyone would have the gumption to pull him up on it

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anybody else been assessing theirs?[/QUOTE]
We were having a discussion after our round yesterday about the new 40 seconds for your shot guideline.

One of the guys timed my mime of what I do ( and I added in a couple of practice swings which I do not normally do) and I came in at 15 seconds for a middle of the fairway type shot.

At what point did he start timing you ?

Ì think there has been a bit missed out here, was it from when you stopped at your ball or once you had checked out yardage selected club etc as this can lead to slow play in its self.

D

Deleted member 25172

Sergio Garcia might want to fix his re-gripping yips if this turns into a rule in the future. Then I might be able to watch him play.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As someone who can freeze over the ball, it is very difficult sometimes to pull the trigger backwards.

Everyone has different swings and different tendencies but the people who take longer over their shots should look to make up time in other actions, like being ready to address asap etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ì think there has been a bit missed out here, was it from when you stopped at your ball or once you had checked out yardage selected club etc as this can lead to slow play in its self.[/QUOTE]

The timing started at the point of reaching the ball.

This was done as a simulation reaching the ball, taking a look at the lie, the green etc, using a GPS mounted on the buggy/bag to get the distance, deciding on which club, a couple of practice swings, getting the set up correct and then hitting the ball.

As said for me on a 'normal' fairway shot I would not have any practice swings and I only use a GPS occasionally on my own course so my personal timing would be quicker than that.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
The USPGA dont seem bothered with slow play - how long does Mickleson discuss a shot for with his caddy before finally hitting it? As for that JB Holmes 18th hole incident...
People always discussing the problem, but until actual shot penalties are invoked, with one actually costing someone a championship, nothing will change.

Rich

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Ì think there has been a bit missed out here, was it from when you stopped at your ball or once you had checked out yardage selected club etc as this can lead to slow play in its self.

This was done as a simulation reaching the ball, taking a look at the lie, the green etc, using a GPS mounted on the buggy/bag to get the distance, deciding on which club, a couple of practice swings, getting the set up correct and then hitting the ball.

As said for me on a 'normal' fairway shot I would not have any practice swings and I only use a GPS occasionally on my own course so my personal timing would be quicker than that.[/QUOTE]

Impressive that you can do all that in 15 seconds 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As said for me on a 'normal' fairway shot I would not have any practice swings and I only use a GPS occasionally on my own course so my personal timing would be quicker than that.

Impressive that you can do all that in 15 seconds 👍[/QUOTE]

I am of an age when a round of golf took 2-2.5 hours so have always been someone who plays fast by todays standards. Back in the days when we had opening hours many a morning was spent on the steps waiting for the bar to open.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Impressive that you can do all that in 15 seconds 👍

I am of an age when a round of golf took 2-2.5 hours so have always been someone who plays fast by todays standards. Back in the days when we had opening hours many a morning was spent on the steps waiting for the bar to open.[/QUOTE]

Your The Man 👍