40-50 yard pitch in soggy lies

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve tried both shallow approach with neutral shaft and steep approach with forward lean and still a bit undecided.

The shallow approach I feel less likely to chunk it but more likely to thin it on bad ones. I feel I also need to be a bit slower and less aggressive which I don’t really like.

The steep approach I feel I can control trajectory and distance a bit better but the bad ones can be really bad. Also feel I can commit more and be aggressive with it just making sure I get ball first. Steep approach also seems a bit checkier.

What do you do? Is there a best way?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I’ve tried both shallow approach with neutral shaft and steep approach with forward lean and still a bit undecided.

The shallow approach I feel less likely to chunk it but more likely to thin it on bad ones. I feel I also need to be a bit slower and less aggressive which I don’t really like.

The steep approach I feel I can control trajectory and distance a bit better but the bad ones can be really bad. Also feel I can commit more and be aggressive with it just making sure I get ball first. Steep approach also seems a bit checkier.

What do you do? Is there a best way?

get a chipper!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Soggy conditions? 52 wedge, reasonably narrow stance, half swing back, accelerate through to a nice full finish and fly the ball all the way.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Go on YouTube,go old school and search for Trevino and or Seve short game lessons and do whatever they tell you,it's still the same game regardless of modern tech and teaching and you can't get better advice than those two showing you what to do with a wedge in any situation.. works for me at least 😁

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use as little loft as possible and hope to get it anywhere on the green. Managing expectations is the important thing, no point in trying to achieve the impossible (or very unlikely)

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Bouncy wedge and hit almost like a bunker shot. Getting the leading edge anywhere near soggy ground is probably going to lead that great american description of a fat ..."Dang....he's laid the sod over the ball......."