4 birdies today....

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yet still +9 for the round!

I really can't believe I've managed to play golf this way today. Medal golf and just such an inexplicably up and down round. Double bogey followed by a birdie. Nice string of pars followed by two bogeys (both missing from less than 2 feet). Followed that with a birdie. Then a double bogey. All this ridiculous golf ended with a spectacular finish of quadruple bogey, birdie, birdie. To top it all, one of the last birdies was nearly an Eagle but for a half inch to the right.

I can't quite fathom it. Annoyingly I have counted 10 wasted shots that come down to incorrect shot decision, playing the wrong thing completely or not concentrating on short putts.

All in all, played good golf shots, hit a lot of fairways, hit a lot of greens. Stupid brain let me down hugely.

We'll try again next week then.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's golf for you.
On Friday I had 24 putts and scored 69. Saturday I had 32 putts for a 73. Same course and conditions.
Crazy game at times.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
Take the positives my man, don't dwell on the negatives, let them go.
Just remember next time you go out, that course management is a massive thing. think of that and percentages. As you've got the game for low scores of you can do that in a medal. Cat 1 in no time

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as said above "thats golf"

my last comp i shot 96 with 8 lost balls off the tee, round still had 4 birdies, it wasn't the birdes that made the difference it was the poor driving.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putting makes a massive difference to your scores, my best competition round this year was a gross 85, which included 42 putts!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best I've had is 3. A few weeks ago. Still finished somewhere around my handicap. Its just golf karma. When you take from the course, the golfing gods take back what they are owed.

Take the positives and remind yourself how well you can play those holes in future.

Well done.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn't buy a birdie yesterday. Drove it well but didn't do much else right. Managed to bogey three of the par 5s, which is disastrous. Three putted three times. My day was summed up by hitting a nice 3 wood on 18 only to duff a pitching wedge into the burn.

On the plus side CSS is my friend for once - RO for the wummin!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like my round a bit yesterday. I walked off the ninth 2 over with 20 points and felt quite in control of things.String of pars and had a 10ft eagle putt on 9 but collected a tap in birdie.

Then on 10 I found thick rough in the right and hacked out, took fairway wood that found thick rough on the left, Hacked out over the stream onto the green but missed my par putt . Back nine continued littered with mistakes, on 18th was just over the back of the par 5 in 2 but took 4 to get down for bogey.

Promptly booked lesson with pro straight afterwards.

Jekyll and Hyde yesterday, I feel your pain.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Take the positives my man, don't dwell on the negatives, let them go.
Just remember next time you go out, that course management is a massive thing. think of that and percentages. As you've got the game for low scores of you can do that in a medal. Cat 1 in no time

Looking back that's where the mistakes were, trying to get close where it was very low percentage golf trying to get the par. Much better to guarantee the 2 putt.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I couldn't buy a birdie yesterday. Drove it well but didn't do much else right. Managed to bogey three of the par 5s, which is disastrous. Three putted three times. My day was summed up by hitting a nice 3 wood on 18 only to duff a pitching wedge into the burn.

On the plus side CSS is my friend for once - RO for the wummin!

Feel your pain Karen. I was +3 for the 5s including a birdie!

I think the women's css is rigged!!!! Ha.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like my round a bit yesterday. I walked off the ninth 2 over with 20 points and felt quite in control of things.String of pars and had a 10ft eagle putt on 9 but collected a tap in birdie.

Then on 10 I found thick rough in the right and hacked out, took fairway wood that found thick rough on the left, Hacked out over the stream onto the green but missed my par putt . Back nine continued littered with mistakes, on 18th was just over the back of the par 5 in 2 but took 4 to get down for bogey.

Promptly booked lesson with pro straight afterwards.

Jekyll and Hyde yesterday, I feel your pain.

I was toying with getting a lesson too. Only thing is I am not hitting bad shots. It's bad decisions. No amount of lessons will stop me being an idiot!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Could certainly do with one. Probably wouldn't listen unfortunately. I'm going to play percentage golf this week. See what difference it actually makes. Ironically the birdies came when playing safe intelligent golf anyway.

Just to go off topic for a bit, don't know if you saw my post in the review section but thanks for the heads up about Aberdour Jamie, really enjoyed that also Duddingston

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yet still +9 for the round!

I really can't believe I've managed to play golf this way today. Medal golf and just such an inexplicably up and down round. Double bogey followed by a birdie. Nice string of pars followed by two bogeys (both missing from less than 2 feet). Followed that with a birdie. Then a double bogey. All this ridiculous golf ended with a spectacular finish of quadruple bogey, birdie, birdie. To top it all, one of the last birdies was nearly an Eagle but for a half inch to the right.

I can't quite fathom it. Annoyingly I have counted 10 wasted shots that come down to incorrect shot decision, playing the wrong thing completely or not concentrating on short putts.

All in all, played good golf shots, hit a lot of fairways, hit a lot of greens. Stupid brain let me down hugely.

We'll try again next week then.

Played with a 1 handicapper today who started with a double bogey and by the fourth had got that back to level and was one under after 5. He was spraying it left and right but making scores (until two doubles on the back). Thing was, he had forgotten the opening double by the tee on the next. That's something a lot of higher handicappers (myself included) struggle with and one bad hole can linger in the brain and lead to bad shots on the next. It's a learning game, even after all these years

D

Deleted member 21258

Well done, don't think I have ever had 4 in a round, well done.:thup: