3 wood troubles

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If youre bad one is the quick hook, the last thing you want to be doing is buying a 3 wood then adjusting the loft downwards (talking from experience). Ideally you probably want one with the face a degree or two open and the right shaft to produce optimal spin and launch conditions. A decent fitter/club builder needed imo

Doesn't delofting open the face more?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Please hand your Forum membership card in at reception and leave us.

Unless of course those numbers are in feet. In which case welcome back.

Monster
what are you talking about, those distances are 30 yards short of forum distances... Jamie hand your card in still, you aren't hitting it far enough to be on here;):ROFLMAO:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doesn't delofting open the face more?

Was talking more from a having tried it, theory said it should be fine practise less so, think it may be to do with the impact altering has on the lie angle, but it certainly didnt work for me. Correct shaft profile and a head with more loft ending up working

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was talking more from a having tried it, theory said it should be fine practise less so, think it may be to do with the impact altering has on the lie angle, but it certainly didnt work for me. Correct shaft profile and a head with more loft ending up working

I think there was certainly a benefit to the M5 being able to put the weight in the toe, might solve the problem, hopefully!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I had exactly the same issue, X flex definitely helped me along with putting the weights in to provide a fade bias.

It took me a few range sessions of hitting a straight ball with a touch of draw to believe in myself, favourite club in the bag now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The numbers and your comments about big draw do not show the whole story.

I have not been on a modern monitor but a bit surprised that I cannot see face angle at impact and direction of swing, are they lower down on the screen?

Is it a big draw or a slight hook.
In either case the simple answer to me (assuming it is a very consistent thing) would be to turn the club round in you grip to the more open face (only needs a very slight change of couple of degrees).

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a very similar problem. 3w would be fine and would play my usual little fade most of the time and then out of nowhere hooks left. I’ve put a regular flex shaft in instead of the stiff and while it’s early days it seems better.

When you hook it, is it a toe strike? Mine was.