3 wood shaft length

DanF26

Visit site
So I’m tall at 6”5 and have 1 1/2inches on my irons in additional length.

I hit driver well and play off 12. However my 3 wood and hybrids feel short. Before I replace them I wanted opinions on whether it’s worth me looking at getting a driver shaft length in my 3 wood

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome

Personally would find a decent fitter and get him to work to find out the best option for you. Im a similar height to you (albeit my irons are only +0.75 inch) but actually have my driver shortened to almost 3 wood length to help me control it better. It may well be that you actually need to look at lie angles rather than shaft length but if youre not comfy stood over it then by all means try a longer shaft and see how it goes

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So I’m tall at 6”5 and have 1 1/2inches on my irons in additional length.

I hit driver well and play off 12. However my 3 wood and hybrids feel short. Before I replace them I wanted opinions on whether it’s worth me looking at getting a driver shaft length in my 3 wood

Shorty, you're an inch too short to be considered properly tall... ;)

At 6' 6" my irons are only an inch over which works for me, however you haven't told us how long your arms are, as length & lie are as much a function of this as height; think wrist to ground length.

A driver shaft into a 3 wood could be 2" to 3" longer, depending on the driver spec you use; personally I'd be reluctant to do that but then I don't have a huge issue with them. I'd follow Funny's route & start with a fitter. There are some glued woods that can be lie adjusted but they are few & far between in my experience, as are those qualified to move them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you like the clubs why not simply have shaft extenders fitted. They go in to the butt end of the club.

What is important at your height is the lie angle with clubs that you hit off the deck (which others have mentioned).

Get clubs which can be adjusted and upright lie is one of the options.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
If you like the clubs why not simply have shaft extenders fitted. They go in to the butt end of the club.

What is important at your height is the lie angle with clubs that you hit off the deck (which others have mentioned).

Get clubs which can be adjusted and upright lie is one of the options.

Having had both steel shafts & graphite shafts with extenders, I'd be fine with steel but wouldn't touch a graphite shaft with an extender, never felt anything like secure to me. Just my opinion obviously, you may have found different.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had both steel shafts & graphite shafts with extenders, I'd be fine with steel but wouldn't touch a graphite shaft with an extender, never felt anything like secure to me. Just my opinion obviously, you may have found different.

Sounds like you have tried the very cheap plastic extenders. I have only had one experience of one of those, fitted in to a club I bought- very first thing I did was to rip it out and put in a metal one.

I use the ends of trimmed club shafts. With todays ultra light titanium/steel shafts the weight difference is fairly minimal, it adds around 5 grammes, less than difference between one type of grip and another.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting to read. I am 6.4 tall and play +1" in irons and all wedges at 9 iron length (which was the best thing I ever done). I never stood over driver (1 inch sorter than standard) or 3 wood/hybrids (all standard length) and thought these are too short. I would not want to be any further from the ball for control reasons. Now standard wedges was a different story - they felt like children's clubs.

Again would go to fitter to assess before expensive experimenting. Heard of success with 3 wood shaft in driver, but not the reverse

DanF26

Visit site
From what others have said it’s more about the sensation of heel up / toe down so there is value in trying to get the lie adjusted if possible. I’m just concerned that May pigeon hole me into a select amount of brands.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Sounds like you have tried the very cheap plastic extenders. I have only had one experience of one of those, fitted in to a club I bought- very first thing I did was to rip it out and put in a metal one.

I use the ends of trimmed club shafts. With todays ultra light titanium/steel shafts the weight difference is fairly minimal, it adds around 5 grammes, less than difference between one type of grip and another.

It was one which has a tapered cone driven down the centre of the extension in order to create a tighter fit. I wasn’t impressed with it. I would never consider a metal extension in a graphite shaft. The only way the pro I use will extend graphite shafts is with a piece of a old graphite shaft.

No problem whatsoever with steel extensions in steel shafts.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was one which has a tapered cone driven down the centre of the extension in order to create a tighter fit. I wasn’t impressed with it. I would never consider a metal extension in a graphite shaft. The only way the pro I use will extend graphite shafts is with a piece of a old graphite shaft.

No problem whatsoever with steel extensions in steel shafts.

The reason I use steel is because I use old shafts. I find the point on the of shaft where one of the tapers fits down the shaft with a reasonable tight fit. If an old piece of grahite shaft is used it means a secondary tube fitting down the shaft left sticking out to glue the graphite extension to. In my experience virtually all graphite butts are .600 or bigger the secondary tube will need to be steel to fit inside the graphite shaft.

If you know of another method let me know.