3 wood recommendations

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I need a new 3 wood but not sure what to look for. Problem is I'm skint so looking for used one, looking for use of the tee instead of driver and good from fairway so nothing too oversized. Any I should be looking at? Cheers :D

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would highly recommend the Wilson Staff FyBrid 3 wood!! I currently use the 2008 (I think) version of this and imagine you can pick them up pretty cheap second hand.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using Callaway fairways for a while and currently have Steelhead III's and GBB II's. Nice head shapes. Steelhead III is nice and compact and is sometimes available with a firm shaft which gives an extra option. Was a popular choice with the Pros when it came out. Getting on a bit now so should be a few bargains to be had.

T

thecraw

Anything at all as long as you like the look of it.

Go down to your local range and try a few out after looking and seeing what ones you like the look of.

There is no point in asking me what I use when a Callaway or a Nike fairway may suit you better.

I would also suggest getting on a launch monitor as well to see which club works the best for you, which shaft suits your swing speed etc.

American Golf or any large driving range should all be able to do this no problem. Good luck and happy club testing.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like the look of the benross always get good reviews, also a fan of the md range but getting a used one cheap can be a struggle, although they are cheap new in comparison to the big boys!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After New Year I'll have a Cleveland 2009 Launcher 3 wood going spare. IT's the 17 degree version with a regular shaft. Its a doddle to use and goes miles. Doesn't launch too high for me even with the 17 degrees.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had one a while ago and it was OK (though I was not great at the time so may have been me). If you get the option though I would go for one of the more recent models. The VT Xtreme is decent and I picked up a new 5 wood on ebay with a best offer of £20.00. IF you can get a decent VX Proto though, go for it. I have just bought one and I have no idea how Benross sell them so cheap. Has a great looking all black head, Voodoo shaft and white golf pride multi compound grip. Paid under £65 for mine.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mizuno MX700 was the best all round for me (tested against Titleist 909F (best off the tee) and Wilson Fybrid (worst at everything)).

Only way to go, get a few taped up, find your best, then find best price.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Mizuno MX700 was the best all round for me (tested against Titleist 909F (best off the tee) and Wilson Fybrid (worst at everything)).

Only way to go, get a few taped up, find your best, then find best price.

I bought one new for £65. Great club off the tee and fairway. It also allowed me to ditch another ping. I feel younger already.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone know of any md golf stockists in the midlands? Can't find any on the net, nearest was Nevada bob Manchester or Greg Nicholas in Manchester again!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a couple if decent golf shops in Derby that may stock them. I used to get MD kit from Nevada Bob's in Peterborough but that is now a Direct Golf and they do not stock MD. Pro shop at Rutland Water was an MD Stockist last time I went but not been up there for a bit.

I am almost certain that there are plenty of stockists nearer than Manchester.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody has suggested Nike Dymo. I have a Dymo2 3 wood and it's a great club. I bought it in preference to MX-700 and Wilson Fybrid. It's sat sad and lonely in my shed as I've more or less given up carrying a 3 wood.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like them, though not tried one! More of a cost thing as said before I'm skint got Xmas and fees to pay this month so purse strings are tightening!