3 Wood or Hybrid

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
In the market for a new 3 wood. However I was speaking to a person I work with who plays off 4 who uses a low loft hybrid instead. Anyone else done this and what are the advantages/disadvantages? I'd guess slightly easier to hit but not as long?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Generally, Low loft hybrids need a faster swing speed to create enough spin to get the ball in the air. Similarly lofted fairway woods create more spin naturally due to the lower centre of gravity, so slower swing speeds would benefit from woods rather than hybrids.
The shaft of the hybrid will be shorter, improving control, but that's not much help if you can't get the ball off the ground in the first place.
By all means experiment with 1h hybrids - around 14-16 degrees but don't be surprised if you hit a 5 wood further.

Caveat - there are always exceptions to the rule!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep currently the 3 wood is out of the bag, I carry a 17 degree hybrid which along with a low launching shaft fills the gap nicely at this time of year and allows me the extra wedge. I expect for winter the 3 wood will come back in

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had all manner of low lofted hybrids.

14 tm mid
15.5 Adams super hybrid
16 Adams a12 hybrid

The Adams clubs worked best to a degree. Eventually dropped them as they just were not forgiving enough.

Absolutely over the moon with my new three wood. FD deep face has that forgiveness I was searching for. Smashing it off the tee. Pissing all over the low hybrids in the consistency stakes. Wish I had found it sooner.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally, Low loft hybrids need a faster swing speed to create enough spin to get the ball in the air. Similarly lofted fairway woods create more spin naturally due to the lower centre of gravity, so slower swing speeds would benefit from woods rather than hybrids.
The shaft of the hybrid will be shorter, improving control, but that's not much help if you can't get the ball off the ground in the first place.
By all means experiment with 1h hybrids - around 14-16 degrees but don't be surprised if you hit a 5 wood further. ..!

Good summary :thup: