3 Lesson Series booked- What to work on?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK as you all know I got down to 12 last year from 15, then had to give the game up just as I was at my peak.

Now 6-7 months later I am taking the game up again, albeit playing only pay and play courses and going to the range.

I found a local range, got a membership for discount balls and I plan to go 2-3 times a week. It also has a short game area so some nights will be exclusivly there rather than hitting 100 balls on the range every visit.

Along with it I decided to buy 3 lessons, due to discounts and stuff which also ended up with me getting a Cobra S3 3 wood brand new for £50.

My current thought is I tell the guy I just want to have a lesson to help me enjoy what little golf I have, is this a good idea or should I be more specific?

I am hitting the ball well, just not anywhere near as consistently but that's to be expected. I do not need a swing rebuilt as I have a nice swing that gets a lovely slight draw on the ball and makes good contact (when done well).

So should I just say "help me make coming here fun" or say "help me hit the driver again" as that I have not tried to hit again yet, its just been hybrids, irons and wedges.

I think later lessons I will ask for a bunker lesson as I need to build on what I learnt last year but have not got it working well yet.

My lesson is on Tuesday at 5pm and I really do not know what to say! I booked it before I knew where I was with my game 'just in case'

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not have a swing MOT with the first one and see if there are any major flaws creeping in. Other than that, with only two more to use you won't be looking for a major rebuild especially if the striking is ok. How about one on approach shots and one on driving. As the season approaches, you get an idea about the job etc then a bunker lesson, one on chipping and a putter refresher and job done -go out and burn it up (or at least lightly singe the edges)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would certainly start by listening rather than telling (what you want fixed etc)

As Homer suggests, he should start by asking you to hit a few balls, probably with a 6 or 7 iron, after which he will be able to suggest possible routes.

Having a truly open mind is pretty critical to a sucessful course of lessons IMO

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I always start my lessons with "How can I help" or "what seems to be the problem" or words to that effect.
The worst answer is "everything's wrong".

Try and work out where you want to improve.
Long game
Short game.
Direction
Contact
Consistency

The Q & A before the lesson even begins is very important so your pro can focus on the area you want to improve.
Get there early and tell him your recent history and I'm sure you'll be fine.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
many coaches will ask how you are playing then get you striking a few balls. They can normally then see where you need to improve with your swing. If you cant get out of bunkers or have a naff short game then just tell them. Always take a notepad and pen and make notes of things you need to work on.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I want is to have fun at the range. I think as most of my approach and short game will probably come back to me I am going to just make sure there are no big flaws and get some tips on driving with the 3 wood.

Thanks for the advice guys, I now have a great idea of what I want