3 iron or hybrid equivalent

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
28 handicap 76 yrs old play 3 times a week which club would you advise me to use from the fairaway

Mandofred

Visit site
Hybrid. I'm at 6.7 these days, I've junked a lot of my irons now. Current line-up is 5, 8,9,W,50,54,60....then 34, 29, 24 hybrids, an 11 wood, then a 5 wood and driver. Just trying leaving the 7 iron out since that lands where the 34 hybrid lands...then stuck the 5 iron back in for lower safe shots.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unless you're the exception to the rule, the vast majority of amateur golfers don't generate enough club head speed to use a 5 iron properly, let alone a 3 iron...
Hybrid...virtually every time...as there's always an exception to the rule....

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Unless you're the exception to the rule, the vast majority of amateur golfers don't generate enough club head speed to use a 5 iron properly, let alone a 3 iron...
Hybrid...virtually every time...as there's always an exception to the rule....
I understand this is generally the accepted thinking.
But when I was 12 years old, I was using junior sized Dunlop Blue Flash 3,5,7,9 irons. I could not have been generating much clubhead speed, yet I could not sense any special difficulty with the 3-iron in terms of "hitting it properly." I swung the club in the same way as the other irons with the same tempo. The longer shaft meant the clubhead was moving faster with me using the same swing and same swing speed as the other irons. I have that same approach today and I still find no increase in "difficulty" with the longer irons.
I dot understand why I am such a freak of nature when what I do seems so natural and normal to me.
I have a 3-iron in the bag as well as 16 and 20 degree hybrids.

I do notice many amateurs have a nice smooth swing with a 7-iron, but their swing goes to pot with a longer iron because they try to swing faster.

Even today and my age, I find a nice smooth effortless swing with a long iron, and the resulting shot going like a bullet down the fairway, one of the most enjoyable shots in golf.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You are the exception to the rule;)
I accept that.

But can you explain why?

I've never been able to understand other player's perceived "difficulty".

Longer shaft, less loft - it goes further. Use the same swing - hit it the same way - then there is no problem.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I understand this is generally the accepted thinking.
But when I was 12 years old, I was using junior sized Dunlop Blue Flash 3,5,7,9 irons. I could not have been generating much clubhead speed, yet I could not sense any special difficulty with the 3-iron in terms of "hitting it properly." I swung the club in the same way as the other irons with the same tempo. The longer shaft meant the clubhead was moving faster with me using the same swing and same swing speed as the other irons. I have that same approach today and I still find no increase in "difficulty" with the longer irons.
I dot understand why I am such a freak of nature when what I do seems so natural and normal to me.
I have a 3-iron in the bag as well as 16 and 20 degree hybrids.

I do notice many amateurs have a nice smooth swing with a 7-iron, but their swing goes to pot with a longer iron because they try to swing faster.

Even today and my age, I find a nice smooth effortless swing with a long iron, and the resulting shot going like a bullet down the fairway, one of the most enjoyable shots in golf.
I agree with Voyager. I have a 18.5 degree 4 iron, which I find is more consistent for me that either a hybrid or fairway wood. In fact I no longer carry a hybrid.

Ultimately it is what suits you best and I would recommend trying each of a hybrid, fairway wood and long iron to see what you are most comfortable with.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's always 2..why isnit always you 2....:rolleyes:;)

I used to play with an aged retired Army Colonel..the guy was late 70s, walked with a stoop, barely got his backswing above waist height but he could hit a bladed 3 iron 200 yards.....
Who knows....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I accept that.

But can you explain why?

Longer shaft, less loft - it goes further. Use the same swing - hit it the same way - then there is no problem.
Because you strike it well. Most people don't. You need to strike it well to launch a long iron. With a hybrid or 7 wood you can definitely get away with it being a little thin or even slightly fat depending on the lie.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I accept that.

But can you explain why?

I think there's also a confidence thing, if you're not confident you tend to rush the shot and try and hit it hard.
All people hear these days (from both the club marketers and their fellow players) is that long irons aren't for the average handicap golfer and so they wet their pants at the thought of hitting one and reach instead for a hybrid.

But as you say, a smooth swing gets the job done, never was the old adage "let the clubhead do the work" truer than with a long iron.

Lack of confidence can lead to a player snatching at the club from the top in a subconscious attempt to get the shot over with.
If I'm struggling with any club, but particularly long irons, then I try and make sure I take enough time at the top so that everything has a chance to catch up and get in synch before I swing through.

RichA

Visit site
I agree with Voyager. I have a 18.5 degree 4 iron, which I find is more consistent for me that either a hybrid or fairway wood. In fact I no longer carry a hybrid.

Ultimately it is what suits you best and I would recommend trying each of a hybrid, fairway wood and long iron to see what you are most comfortable with.
Likewise, I'm not a great ball striker like Voyager, but have way more confidence with a 3 or 4 iron than the equivalent fairway wood or hybrid. I don't carry them either.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My 3 iron is off the naughty step at the moment.

I don’t like hybrids so have 7 wood and it’s a great little club