2nd hand clubs for high handicapper? X-12?

JimBobxxxx

Visit site
Hi,

I currently have 2nd hand Swelkin Alta MkI irons, a clock golf set putter I've had since I was 10 and a 2nd hand Taylor Made F7 draw.

Although I used to slice, I'd say I'm slightly more likely to hook these days. But worse that is my general lack of directional competence. Landing on the green on an approach shot is rare and a drive down the middle still feels like luck.

Unfortunately I lost my 7 iron a few months ago. My favourite club of course... So it's made me think about replacing my clubs.

I'm 28+ due to the randomness of my play but I'll get about 3-4 pars a round, plus one 10+. Most of my friends reckon I should be hitting 90 at least, if not for the duffers. I'm thinking that it's time I either started playing to a acceptable handicap (15-20) or give up completely.

So the questions are:
What irons set should I get (£150-£200)? A semipro friend suggested Golf Bidder and 2nd hand Callaway X-12s. The other choices at about that price seems to be Wilson Staff Di7 or Mizuno MX-19? Or...

I don't really know how much my current clubs may be handicapping me? How do they compare?

Also what's a good putter to replace a lump of metal on a stick? Budget up to £50 but the lower the better - 2nd hand fine. Direction is normally fine, but I have problems with weight on fast greens.

Although I'll probably stick with the driver for now, any recommendations at VFM prices?

Cheers. I'm afraid I don't know much about golf equipment - I've had the current clubs for well over a decade...

BTW - I know practice is more important than clubs!

If it makes any difference I'm 6ft, right handed and weigh 12.5 stone.

Many thanks,

James

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For £200 you could probably get x-18's or x-20's, not sure why you'd opt for x-12's. There's plenty of choice out there for £200.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought some X-18 for £180 and find them excellent. Would I swap them for some MX-19s or Di Wilson....no, never. One of the easiest to use clubs ever made. Even on a bad day, they work well for me, which is more than I can say for my main set.