2022 World Cup.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was mentioned earlier, but I also believe he will just put the exact same team out again for the third time.
Yes I fear your right.
But when we hear Kane and others look tired and leggy there is no excuse for it.
Use the squad that’s what it’s there for.
Any team picked from the England squad should beat Wales no problem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I fear your right.
But when we hear Kane and others look tired and leggy there is no excuse for it.
Use the squad that’s what it’s there for.
Any team picked from the England squad should beat Wales no problem.
For me, we needed to win the USA game, then you might have seen a few players rested tomorrow as we'd have been more-or-less guaranteed top of the group. By not winning the game we've lost that luxury. If we can get an early goal or two then we have the chance to rest players second half.

As for your last sentence - how many times have we said that over the years for various opposition and not done the job?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As for your last sentence - how many times have we said that over the years for various opposition and not done the job?

The Hungary game where he made wholesale changes and we got humped. Southgate won’t change a thing, he has his favourites and has his idea of how to play the game, he never sways from that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Team I want to start v Wales

Ramsdale.....
Walker, White, Maguire, Shaw
Phillips
Foden, Maddison, Grealish
Wilson

Some of the lads need a rest and with the heart of the team being city players, they should actually play good football.

I know its only Wales but think we should start with 11.............

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having watch a bit of this WC Portugal could go well. They seem to be tough to score against and have got Ronaldo. (I'm a big fan of Ronnie and I've got the shirt, well from a few years ago you know the really smart one). On that subject, who's got the best kit?
I like the French kit. The blue has gone darker and the gold sits nicely on it. Very classy.

I miss Peru, I love a diagonal strip, but sadly they did not qualify.

I really don't like the central black stripe on the Germany kit o_O. They had a classic look, why mess with it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I feel like we're in for a hiding if we stick one of the opposition's midfielders in goal for us.

On a more serious note, never going to happen. We can't be resting players when we need a result to top the group. Maddison has not trained either apparently. Phillips can't be fit enough for a start. And White was clearly there as last resort back-up, that guy is not playing a minute.

Yep no point picking a form player who would massively help the issues we have trying to play out from the back...................

sunshine

Visit site
I like the French kit. The blue has gone darker and the gold sits nicely on it. Very classy.

I miss Peru, I love a diagonal strip, but sadly they did not qualify.

I really don't like the central black stripe on the Germany kit o_O. They had a classic look, why mess with it?

France and Portugal ?
France has been darker for a few years now, was dark at the last World Cup.
Netherlands always looks good.
I like the minimalist Denmark shirts, especially the black one.

Germany kit looks rubbish, mid 90s thick stripe revival and it doesn’t work.

sunshine

Visit site
This rubbish way of taking goal kicks - with the full backes either side of the goalie - ...what thenhell is that all about?
They pushy it around for 30 seconds, getting nowhere and giving the opposition a chance, and then hoof it upfield quickly...
Don't get it......

Ok I’m going to bite and state the obvious. The idea is to invite the press and draw the other team forward. This creates more space on the pitch.

If people don’t understand this it’s no wonder they are going to criticise every England performance. I’m waiting for the posts harking back to the glory days of Graham Taylor.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
France and Portugal ?
France has been darker for a few years now, was dark at the last World Cup.
Netherlands always looks good.
I like the minimalist Denmark shirts, especially the black one.

Germany kit looks rubbish, mid 90s thick stripe revival and it doesn’t work.
France - You are probably right and it has just taken me this long to notice :LOL:. I'd make a terrible police witness.

I'd like the Netherlands more if they went a more vibrant orange. I think this looks a bit subdued.

Any minimalist looks good, I like old school :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok I’m going to bite and state the obvious. The idea is to invite the press and draw the other team forward. This creates more space on the pitch.

If people don’t understand this it’s no wonder they are going to criticise every England performance. I’m waiting for the posts harking back to the glory days of Graham Taylor.
I don't think it's a problem understanding. The problem is a lot of teams try it despite not being good enough and they give away more chances than they benefit from. It only really works for City and Liverpool, everyone else should give it a wide berth.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's a problem understanding. The problem is a lot of teams try it despite not being good enough and they give away more chances than they benefit from. It only really works for City and Liverpool, everyone else should give it a wide berth.

Quite agree,
Recently seen two or three really daft goals given away when playing it out from the goalie is NOT on due to the opposing forwards pressing them.
A big hoof up the park should be the answer in those circumstances, if nothing else it will tire them out.;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yep really not worked for Arsenal at all so far this season lol

sunshine

Visit site
Normally there is a 3 week break from end of season to tournament start, time to recover, refresh and train. This year it's 1 week.

Normally England has 6-7 day break between 1st and 2nd games. This year it was 4 days, with the Wales game to follow 4 days later.

It didn't make sense for England to go all out guns blazing against USA. It's great they were able to play within themselves, although the performance was uninspiring. Southgate is too sensible for that.

England is the "big" team in the group. It's pretty common for teams to play for a draw against the big team and try to win the other two games. It was clear to me that Iran and USA both set themselves up to get a draw. Iran tried to frustrate England and were very negative, but once they conceded, their game plan was gone and they didn't know what to do. USA were very organised and played a high energy press.

The teams that thrash everyone in the group stages rarely go on to win the tournament. A dull 0-0 is no disaster.