2022 World Cup.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This rubbish way of taking goal kicks - with the full backes either side of the goalie - ...what thenhell is that all about?
They pushy it around for 30 seconds, getting nowhere and giving the opposition a chance, and then hoof it upfield quickly...
Don't get it......

like modern art. Just to be different.And if you rubbish it, it means you aren’t sophisticated enough in the subject.?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This rubbish way of taking goal kicks - with the full backes either side of the goalie - ...what thenhell is that all about?
They pushy it around for 30 seconds, getting nowhere and giving the opposition a chance, and then hoof it upfield quickly...
Don't get it......
The idea has been knocking around for a good few years.Pep started it at City and to be Frank it really was squeaky bum time. However now it is established and it works well.
However England are complete and utter rammel at it. It is embarrassing watching England trying to play out.

D

Deleted member 1740

The idea has been knocking around for a good few years.Pep started it at City and to be Frank it really was squeaky bum time. However now it is established and it works well.
However England are complete and utter rammel at it. It is embarrassing watching England trying to play out.

Lets be honest, they're not set up for it. Pickford cant do it, Maguire has 2 left feet and even Pep doesnt trust Stones that much.

Ramsdale,Dier, White are all comfortable of playing out from the back for their club sides.

Watch Pickford, how many time there's a simple ball on but he chooses to play it long and they lose possession because hes panicked and as a team theyre not set up to hold up the long ball!!

D

Deleted member 1740

Don't get it......

With respect, you need to understand how the teams who are successful at doing it set up tactically.

The best teams all have players who are comfortable on the ball. Its a system/style that has to be played throughout the side.

When the fullbacks get the ball the midfield must be in position A to receive it otherwise it fails. It works well buy every player has to be switched on.

D

Deleted member 1740

I know, it was an open goal for him and me ?. Had he held his run for a split second he would have had the same space and time. They, Spain, got away with it.

On Germany, remarkable that they don't have a genuine number 9. They fill in with Havertz and Muller but they aren't the same. A country that size, with so many footballers..........

Havertz is a strange player. Lots of potential and hype around him but from what i've seen i cant figure out where his best position is.

I'm sure BlueinMunich or the other Chelsea fans could tell us.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
With respect, you need to understand how the teams who are successful at doing it set up tactically.

The best teams all have players who are comfortable on the ball. Its a system/style that has to be played throughout the side.

When the fullbacks get the ball the midfield must be in position A to receive it otherwise it fails. It works well buy every player has to be switched on.

...and therein lies the problem with England....there are never any options for the player who is on the ball....no one moves to find space, and no one else moves to find space to receive the ball off the player who has just moved to find space.

D

Deleted member 1740

...and therein lies the problem with England....there are never any options for the player who is on the ball....no one moves to find space, and no one else moves to find space to receive the ball off the player who has just moved to find space.

It makes you wonder whats being coached.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Havertz is a strange player. Lots of potential and hype around him but from what i've seen i cant figure out where his best position is.

I'm sure BlueinMunich or the other Chelsea fans could tell us.
I don't watch Chelsea much but my impression of him is as a Lampard style player, a midfielder running through and feeding off a striker. Not a sole striker, where he has often been used. He looks lost there, as most midfielders do when the are played up top on their own.

As you say, he was talked about as the second coming when he arrived but I suspect he has had a bit of a bum deal and played out of position to cover holes up front.

I might be wrong, interested to hear what the Chelsea lads say.

D

Deleted member 1740

But most of the players do it for their clubs don’t they, make that movement for the 2nd and 3rd pass? Why can’t they do it for England?

You could've said exactly the same about those who played under Hoddle/Sven/McClaren and Hodgson.

The last time England players produced club form for country was 1996.

It's blatantly obvious to me that Southgate is a pragmatic,defensive coach.

That 2nd half the other night was as rubbish as i've seen over the years. 1 simple tactical change without making a sub would've improved.

Instead Kane was dropping so far back for the ball he was playing as the 3rd centre back.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You could've said exactly the same about those who played under Hoddle/Sven/McClaren and Hodgson.

The last time England players produced club form for country was 1996.

It's blatantly obvious to me that Southgate is a pragmatic,defensive coach.

That 2nd half the other night was as rubbish as i've seen over the years. 1 simple tactical change without making a sub would've improved.

Instead Kane was dropping so far back for the ball he was playing as the 3rd centre back.
Why do we all, from time to time, get involved in doing something that we shouldn’t have to, that is not our responsibility but is the responsibility of others to do? Usually because we don’t trust the others to not muck it up or get it done quick enough…

I sense a bit of lack of trust and faith within the team to get things right whenever there is any risk or exposure involved - and often that lacking will be rooted in a sense that the leadership is not quite as it should be, and needs to be. Words are fine, but results come from actions, and they often require faith and trust.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think the idea is to suck in the opposition and therefore create space behind the midfield. But it the people employed to do the passing about are bobbins at it, you're gonna give your supporters palpitations, and induce crys of beep beep LAUNCH IT !!!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having watch a bit of this WC Portugal could go well. They seem to be tough to score against and have got Ronaldo. (I'm a big fan of Ronnie and I've got the shirt, well from a few years ago you know the really smart one). On that subject, who's got the best kit?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Team I want to start v Wales

Ramsdale.....
Walker, White, Maguire, Shaw
Phillips
Foden, Maddison, Grealish
Wilson

Some of the lads need a rest and with the heart of the team being city players, they should actually play good football.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Team I want to start v Wales

Ramsey
Walker, White, Maguire, Shaw
Phillips
Foden, Maddison, Grealish
Wilson

Some of the lads need a rest and with the heart of the team being city players, they should actually play good football.
I feel like we're in for a hiding if we stick one of the opposition's midfielders in goal for us.

On a more serious note, never going to happen. We can't be resting players when we need a result to top the group. Maddison has not trained either apparently. Phillips can't be fit enough for a start. And White was clearly there as last resort back-up, that guy is not playing a minute.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think the idea is to suck in the opposition and therefore create space behind the midfield. But it the people employed to do the passing about are bobbins at it, you're gonna give your supporters palpitations, and induce crys of beep beep LAUNCH IT !!!!!

The idea of playing out from the back. Every player has a part to play.

Firstly the keeper has to have a football brain, City have Ederson who is one of the best in the world so he makes it look easy. Whether that be a short or very long pass he is very good.
He will play it to mainly the defenders but if a press is on, a midfielder will drop and one touch pass to the left back or right back. If there is too much of a press he will play longer to bypass the press. If it is on a ball over the top to the centre forward.
However. We are talking about England.
Pickfords passing is not the best, but he is the best of the three keepers. He is not a natural footballer with vision. Even when the ball is passed to the back four, no one is showing from midfield. The USA press was not the best I have seen, in a sense of putting players/ ball in the corner. But England/Southgate could not figure out how to beat it. Other teams will now smell blood when England have a goal kick. I would be gobsmacked if Wales don’t pressure England.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having watch a bit of this WC Portugal could go well. They seem to be tough to score against and have got Ronaldo. (I'm a big fan of Ronnie and I've got the shirt, well from a few years ago you know the really smart one). On that subject, who's got the best kit?
South Korea away kit is lovely.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I feel like we're in for a hiding if we stick one of the opposition's midfielders in goal for us.

On a more serious note, never going to happen. We can't be resting players when we need a result to top the group. Maddison has not trained either apparently. Phillips can't be fit enough for a start. And White was clearly there as last resort back-up, that guy is not playing a minute.

Oops my bad..... :ROFLMAO:

It wont happen no - but Id rather see these guys play than the ones currently getting a start. We just need to not lose heavily, and actually with that forward talent we would beat wales.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oops my bad..... :ROFLMAO:

It wont happen no - but Id rather see these guys play than the ones currently getting a start. We just need to not lose heavily, and actually with that forward talent we would beat wales.
It was mentioned earlier, but I also believe he will just put the exact same team out again for the third time.