2022 World Cup.

sunshine

Visit site
I have no stats to back this up....(!) But I'd be willing to bet that when the dimensions of the goals were first formalised, the average male was quite a bit shorter than they are now, and probably not much different to the size of the women currently playing in goal.
It's not that women's goals need to be smaller, it's that men's need to be bigger.

Even a generation ago (think Jennings, Shilton, Clemence) 'keepers were several inches shorter with a significantly lesser wingspan.

Did some research for you:

The dimensions of the goal were defined in 1863. The crossbar is 8 foot / 2.44m.

In 1871, the average British male height was 167cm, compared to 178cm today (Men's average height 'up 11cm since 1870s' - BBC News ). Today the average female height in the UK is 164cm, so not much difference from the average male height in 1863.

I'm sure women's football will evolve and we'll see tall keepers becoming more common as the popularity / quality / rewards increase.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did some research for you:

The dimensions of the goal were defined in 1863. The crossbar is 8 foot / 2.44m.

In 1871, the average British male height was 167cm, compared to 178cm today (Men's average height 'up 11cm since 1870s' - BBC News ). Today the average female height in the UK is 164cm, so not much difference from the average male height in 1863.

I'm sure women's football will evolve and we'll see tall keepers becoming more common as the popularity / quality / rewards increase.
I am pretty sure cm were not used in the 1870s ;)
Had to get my tape measure out.

D

Deleted member 1740

I heard today England won the Fair Play trophy with just 1 yellow card??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very true, however it's a bit different, you don't get the squad in kits for the final

Sergio would have been in that squad. He was robbed of the end of his career and is still very much part the "team" so to speak. He was messis room mate for the week

It's a nice tribute as opposed to the limelight stealing before
I believe he was part of the coaching staff as well. Not sure how much of an integral part or just a token role because they wanted him around, but still.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Harry Maguire against France. Hooligan ?
The real hooligans live over in Wales. More clean red cards than any other nation, and they didn’t even make it out of the group stage. Basically just there to beat the s..t out of others.

Basically, how can a tournament have a million yellows but only one red? Is that a VAR consequence? Fewer breaks that need to be stopped? Players playing less dirty because they will get a review?

Swango1980

Visit site
The real hooligans live over in Wales. More clean red cards than any other nation, and they didn’t even make it out of the group stage. Basically just there to beat the s..t out of others.

Basically, how can a tournament have a million yellows but only one red? Is that a VAR consequence? Fewer breaks that need to be stopped? Players playing less dirty because they will get a review?
Were there loads of yellows. Apart from one mental game with a record number of yellows, it struck me that referees were reluctant to dish out yellows.

It seems like referees have been asked to play on more, and give out less yellows for "trivial" incidents. Maybe to ensure less suspensions. Also, perhaps players are more careful in a tackle, as they know VAR will be able to review a high challenge. Before, they might hope to get away with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm with @Swango1980 on this. I think the refs were told to avoid yellows where possible for pull backs, cynical fouls, dives etc. Avoiding yellows means less chance of two yellows etc. I don't think I saw many straight red situations but there were definitely cases where players should have gone due to two yellows, what should have been, in a game.

Had it been the PL there would have been way more of both colours. I think this allowed too many players to get away with stuff, it was a backward step.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It didnt Morocco got one in the KO stages

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm with @Swango1980 on this. I think the refs were told to avoid yellows where possible for pull backs, cynical fouls, dives etc. Avoiding yellows means less chance of two yellows etc. I don't think I saw many straight red situations but there were definitely cases where players should have gone due to two yellows, what should have been, in a game.

Had it been the PL there would have been way more of both colours. I think this allowed too many players to get away with stuff, it was a backward step.
Me neither. One that springs to mind is when the Argentine player smashed ball into Netherlands dugout. Had he smashed the ball like that into the Netherlands fans (i.e. with intent, rather than just randomly hoofing it away), I assume it would be a red?