2022 World Cup.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they don’t look that tall with the size of modern players
Previous keepers or the current ones?

Many positions now have giants in them, not every player of course, but there is height in every team now. A bit like the discussion of comparing players from different eras in terms of skill, pace etc, we probably can't compare in term of height either on the whole. Food availability from birth, diet etc, means you are not comparing like with like (rugby is the biggest example of this)

I do also think that tv makes someone look much bigger. I've stood next to many footballers in different situations and none of them look the size that they do on tv. Shearer is one that stands out up here, or doesn't stand out as it happens. Same with golfers when you see them live at a tournament. Scottie Scheffler looked much slighter than I expected at the Scottish Open.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Previous keepers or the current ones?

Many positions now have giants in them, not every player of course, but there is height in every team now. A bit like the discussion of comparing players from different eras in terms of skill, pace etc, we probably can't compare in term of height either on the whole. Food availability from birth, diet etc, means you are not comparing like with like (rugby is the biggest example of this)

I do also think that tv makes someone look much bigger. I've stood next to many footballers in different situations and none of them look the size that they do on tv. Shearer is one that stands out up here, or doesn't stand out as it happens. Same with golfers when you see them live at a tournament. Scottie Scheffler looked much slighter than I expected at the Scottish Open.
Yes but years ago if you were tall you were a CF or CB .
The average height now is 6’ ish that’s what I meant the CB and CF are not picked for height any more they need to be mobile and good on the ball.
If they are 6’3” as well then that’s a bonus.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw a Newcastle game at St James a few weeks ago and all 3 goals were over the heads. Nothing special but if you shoot high it goes in. Really they need to reduce the goal size as at the moment that type of goal becomes a bit like kids football and it does the women a disservice. It wont happen, the expense and storage rule it out, but I think it is a shame.
This is just opening a can of worms. "it's not the same game" will be the most common reply. That's what Shaqille O'Neill (or Charles Barkley?) got to hear a thousand times when they recommended to lower the hoop at basketball. But that ladies already play with a smaller ball didn't occur to any of the critics.

I think volleyball is the only team sport where the 'playing field' is different, the net is lower. But nobody takes offence to that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is just opening a can of worms. "it's not the same game" will be the most common reply. That's what Shaqille O'Neill (or Charles Barkley?) got to hear a thousand times when they recommended to lower the hoop at basketball. But that ladies already play with a smaller ball didn't occur to any of the critics.

I think volleyball is the only team sport where the 'playing field' is different, the net is lower. But nobody takes offence to that.
In cricket the wicket length is the same but the boundary ropes are brought in significantly. It's just logical but it also helps that it is a relatively simple and easy thing to do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Terry was part of the squad and qualified to get a medal.

Very true, however it's a bit different, you don't get the squad in kits for the final

Sergio would have been in that squad. He was robbed of the end of his career and is still very much part the "team" so to speak. He was messis room mate for the week

It's a nice tribute as opposed to the limelight stealing before

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I don’t mind the Aguero thing.
And let’s be honest the only reason Terry got so much stick is because people don’t like him,that’s fine.
If a club legend had done the same for a team you support I’m sure you’d be ok with it ?‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And let’s be honest the only reason Terry got so much stick is because people don’t like him,that’s fine.
If a club legend had done the same for a team you support I’m sure you’d be ok with it ?‍♂️

The massive diff is look at Sergio he just shoved his shirt on

Terry had a full kit including boots ..

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Keane and Scholes didn't come on the pitch in full kit after the '99 Champs League final, they were team players.

sunshine

Visit site
I saw a Newcastle game at St James a few weeks ago and all 3 goals were over the heads. Nothing special but if you shoot high it goes in. Really they need to reduce the goal size as at the moment that type of goal becomes a bit like kids football and it does the women a disservice. It wont happen, the expense and storage rule it out, but I think it is a shame.

I'm guessing this is what the men's game was like over a hundred years ago when the dimensions of the goals were defined.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes no problem for me
Half the crowd has the shirts on.
Think the boots might be a bit much.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wow, that's quite amazing actually. I'd say 6'0 is definitely short for a keeper nowadays. Even a centre back you'd want them to be 6'0 minimum. I've always heard talk about Jennings being a big feller as well.

I’ve met Jennings a few times and saw him play a lot, it’s surprising how small he was for a goalie.

If you want a laugh have a look at his penalty saves at Anfield first was by Keagan second one Tommy Smith wouldn’t let him take it and took it himself and Jennings saved that as well?