2019 Etiquette

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What specific non-rules breach (ie misconduct, rudeness, not using the computer to enter scores etc) would be subject to a penalty involving 1 or 2 strokes? How would the penalty be awarded in a match? How would the number of strokes be determined?

I am still not convinced that golf penalties can be awarded for non golf rule offences. IMO the RBs have simply wrapped Rules and Discipline together in one section but the penalties are still relted to the type of offence.

If the Code of Conduct is adopted as a local rule, would a breach of the code not then be a golf rule offence? It would have to relate to matters occurring on the golf course, not the clubhouse.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the Code of Conduct is adopted as a local rule, would a breach of the code not then be a golf rule offence? It would have to relate to matters occurring on the golf course, not the clubhouse.
But when (in match play) would the penalty be applied and how many strokes for which offence? Who would ensure equity between committees?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
But when (in match play) would the penalty be applied and how many strokes for which offence? Who would ensure equity between committees?

It's all laid out in 5H, isn't it? A clear statement is needed in the Code of the kinds of behaviour which would contravene it and a penalty structure should be included which specifies the sanctions for offences which could range from a warning through one stroke and the general penalty to DQ. In both match play and stroke play, breaches of the Code would, I expect, generally have to be dealt after a round when a matter is reported to the Committee. In match play that would be in the form of a claim.

I'm not sure what you mean by ensuring equity between committees.

I'm puzzled as to why I'm not seeing this as you are. Also anxious lest I'm missing something!

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you happy that two different clubs may well impose different penalties for the same breach?
What limits are proposed? 5 strokes on one side of town for throwing a club, 2 stokes on the other side?
The devil may be in the detail - but there isn't any

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Code of conduct needs to tackle slow play, teeing off early- late, or other golf problems.
Not tantrums.
Put this in some clubs hands and you’ll get a two stroke penalty for odd socks.

As much as I’d like to deal out penalty’s because I don’t like people or their actions. It’s just not golf is it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a problem with what is bad and what’s not !
A 70yr old committee member and a 25yr old member have very different ideas of what is acceptable on a golf course/clubhouse.
I have seen thing that I thought questionable but others think it’s ok.
And vice versa.
Penalty shots or dqs for etiquette breaches sounds wrong imo.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know on the other thread in the lounge it was suggested that we come up with ideas. bt the thread has gone off on a tangent.

I know it would require a lot of serious thought from a committee about what would be 'golfing offences' and subject to a penalty and what would be club offence and subject to disciplinary procedures.

One area I can think of is the use of mobile phones on the course and distracting other players. EG if a course says that mobile phones must be set to silent and somebodies phone rings causing another players shot to be ruined, then the player who owns the phone should be penalised.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a problem with what is bad and what’s not !
A 70yr old committee member and a 25yr old member have very different ideas of what is acceptable on a golf course/clubhouse.
I have seen thing that I thought questionable but others think it’s ok.
And vice versa.
Penalty shots or dqs for etiquette breaches sounds wrong imo.

So somebody in the group deliberately shouts out or disturbs you in another way during your swing................

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you happy that two different clubs may well impose different penalties for the same breach?
What limits are proposed? 5 strokes on one side of town for throwing a club, 2 stokes on the other side?
The devil may be in the detail - but there isn't any

Is this not like Local Rules. What may be a LR at one course may not be at another eg the New Rule for OB and players must be aware of the LRs at different courses.

I do see the 'nightmare' of visitors following a club's code of conduct there are plenty who do not even bother to read the LRs on the back of the card and play by the ones at their own course at best.

DonW468

Visit site
Golf Etiquette
Respect for the course – leave the course as you would like to find it by repairing pitch-marks, replacing divots and raking bunkers
Respect for your fellow players – be sportsmanlike and polite, stay by the green to watch them hole out, and avoid distracting them
Respect for the game – by knowing the Rules and etiquette of golf