merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I've had a good think about this now, and mine are as follows -

Shoot under 70 in a competition
Average under 5 on par 5's in competitions
Positive strokes gained (against scratch) Putting & Off The Tee
Be Lower than 2.3 handicap
Finish top 5 Club Champs (3rd last year)

I think the strokes gained analysis is brilliant.

What system do you use to log the data?

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My goal is to just stop playing crap like I did in 2017. Have not started the year well with shanking and necking all my clubs :mmm:

I wouldn't normally worry but I am having lessons..........:rolleyes::eek:oo:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My goal is to just stop playing crap like I did in 2017. Have not started the year well with shanking and necking all my clubs :mmm:

I wouldn't normally worry but I am having lessons..........:rolleyes::eek:oo:
Maybe sack the guy giving the lessons?

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My targets and plans for 2018 are as follows.

Targets get handicap down from 18.9 to 15.4 or better. Shoot scratch 85 or better round Gailes off medal tees.

My plan for 2018 is

to identify my weaknesses.
play as often as I can
structure my week to give me practice time and state at beginning of week what I am going to do.
Make the practice time more constructive.
continue to have lessons and work on the technical changes.

Identify my weaknesses.

I need to have a more consistent pre shot routine and stick to it. - busy setting one up just now that feels comfortable. I have one that repeats for my driver but strangely not for any other club.

Be more relaxed / have a neutral reaction to each shot. Trying very hard with this as I get upset too quickly :(

Not keep my score in my head. I seem to get too up tight when I know exactly how I have scored. So for the last few Saturday sweeps I have been writing my score down and then trying to forget about it. Not easy but getting there, golf seems more consistent when I just write it down and move on.

Realise that there is not always a technical problem needing sorted if a shot doesn't go quite right.

play as often as I can

Pretty self explanatory, only stay 5 minutes from Gailes and it's never busy, so easy enough to play. Majority of the Saturday sweep are single figures from scratch up, so playing regularly with them will help as well.

structure my week to give me practice time and state at beginning of week what I am going to do.

again fairly self explanatory. Try and allocate time to practice, either at range or even at home and include reading books and watching you tube videos to do this. It's too easy to get to the end of the week and have done nothing. Home practice can include swinging in front of mirror and putting practice on rug on living room.

Have a series of drills to do at the range, prepared before I go and then follow it through. Setting up test sets for ball and ground striking and to certain distances. Having read Adam young's Practice Manual he has some great test sets to do. With parameters for success and failure based on handicap. Work on my weakest parts of the game the most, while keeping the stronger parts ticking over ?

Not have as many during the playing season, most off the work being done through the winter. Building drills in to the range sessions to work on changes from the pro.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My targets and plans for 2018 are as follows.

Targets get handicap down from 18.9 to 15.4 or better. Shoot scratch 85 or better round Gailes off medal tees.

My plan for 2018 is

to identify my weaknesses.
play as often as I can

Identify my weaknesses.

I need to have a more consistent pre shot routine and stick to it. - busy setting one up just now that feels comfortable. I have one that repeats for my driver but strangely not for any other club.

Be more relaxed / have a neutral reaction to each shot. Trying very hard with this as I get upset too quickly :(

Not keep my score in my head. I seem to get too up tight when I know exactly how I have scored. So for the last few Saturday sweeps I have been writing my score down and then trying to forget about it. Not easy but getting there, golf seems more consistent when I just write it down and move on.

Realise that there is not always a technical problem needing sorted if a shot doesn't go quite right.

play as often as I can

Pretty self explanatory, only stay 5 minutes from Gailes and it's never busy, so easy enough to play. Majority of the Saturday sweep are single figures from scratch up, so playing regularly with them will help as well.

again fairly self explanatory. Try and allocate time to practice, either at range or even at home and include reading books and watching you tube videos to do this. It's too easy to get to the end of the week and have done nothing. Home practice can include swinging in front of mirror and putting practice on rug on living room.

Have a series of drills to do at the range, prepared before I go and then follow it through. Setting up test sets for ball and ground striking and to certain distances. Having read Adam young's Practice Manual he has some great test sets to do. With parameters for success and failure based on handicap. Work on my weakest parts of the game the most, while keeping the stronger parts ticking over ?

Not have as many during the playing season, most off the work being done through the winter. Building drills in to the range sessions to work on changes from the pro.

You forgot to mention try to avoid scaffold poles

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the strokes gained analysis is brilliant.

What system do you use to log the data?

I've been really impressed with the Taylormade App, i dont like using it during the round though, so just note down distance to pins etc on a seperate card and log it after the round (whereas you can use the GPS as you go).

the main issue you will have (similar to me) is that scratch is based on the american scratch, which usually works out at about 2 over here. However its all relative i suppose.

this website is brilliant for putting strokes gained - https://www.golfrankingstats.com/strokes-gained-calculator/ i've learnt that i actually gain strokes quite often, not because i hole putts but because i 2 putt from long distance so often

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I use golfshot (after my round) to enter the data and analyse.

I've been considering the Arcoss 360 and i like that it's not intrusive, but it's a bit pricey for what it is so haven't taken the plunge yet.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve spent a few years in the doldrums. Got to single figures about six years ago without having ever had a lesson, and played to it for about six months. The trouble started when, rather than being happy with being a steady 9 handicap, I started to believe my own hype and went for lessons.

Alas, the coach I went to confused the daylights out of me, and my downward spiral started, one I couldn’t stop. I bottomed out at a fifteen year high handicap of 16 last autumn, and got so fed up that I nearly packed it all in. The problem with that would have been that my golf is a huge part of my social life.

So I sat down and tried to remember what made me, by the standard of the average UK player, a good golfer. It was simple. I used to play golf in an uncomplicated way and just go out to enjoy myself. Since then I’ve tried to empty my head of the technical rubbish and just go out and hit the ball and not get wound up by bad shots. The result is a 3 shot reduction back to 13 and a smile on my face.

So, my target for 2018? To enjoy myself. The rest will take care of itself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well - my own objective for 2018 was to get down to 6 h/cap - but my daughters b/friend (an Asst Pro at my club) has told me that as I have never knocked a ball round any course - ever - in par - then that is what he is going to get me to do this year...

Not sure that off 8 as I am that that is realistic. Or is it?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Well - my own objective for 2018 was to get down to 6 h/cap - but my daughters b/friend (an Asst Pro at my club) has told me that as I have never knocked a ball round any course - ever - in par - then that is what he is going to get me to do this year...

You just have to find the right course :D I play off 32, but I managed two rounds of two over par on our 6 hole short course last year and I absolutely plan to get rid of those last two shots some time this year. Golf is easy. The courses are just too long.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You just have to find the right course :D I play off 32, but I managed two rounds of two over par on our 6 hole short course last year and I absolutely plan to get rid of those last two shots some time this year. Golf is easy. The courses are just too long.

...aye - the fairways are too narrow and they are too far away; the greens are too wee and the holes keep moving...well that's my experience ;)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Coach thinks I’ll be off single figures by end of season. Highly possible but with a card in my hand I’ll prove him wrong! :rofl:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Planning to really get to work on the short and putting next week once the short game area dries out and so does the bunker. It's the weakest part of my game and if I can get that sorted I'll be happy. I'm taking a more organic approach, less lessons, less long game work, and more focus on better thinking on the course. Not sure I'll get from 14 to single figures in 2018 but if I can make the transition from 14-12 it makes the next step easier

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aim for single figures
Enjoy my golf
Play as many courses as I can
Improve my short game
Win a club competition

Think you'll find mine are well documented in those formats and on here

Planning to really get to work on the short and putting next week once the short game area dries out and so does the bunker. It's the weakest part of my game and if I can get that sorted I'll be happy. I'm taking a more organic approach, less lessons, less long game work, and more focus on better thinking on the course. Not sure I'll get from 14 to single figures in 2018 but if I can make the transition from 14-12 it makes the next step easier

any plans for your post count?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Join a club, get better, and enjoy it as much as I can is my main goals, I'd also like to play some good courses as well so I'll be checking for any Scottish trips planned

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Olly (Pov)?!