2010 course, buggy or not? Any other info?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

My 7 month old daughter has got me a round at Celtic manor 2010 course with both her grandads and her uncle (my brother in law) for Father's Day, angel that she is (my wife may have had something to do with it...). We're playing next Sunday.
I've never played it or any other course at Celtic Manor. I'm wondering whether we should get buggies?
My Dad isn't as mobile as he was, if there are lots of uphill walks or it is long to walk around I want to make sure he doesn't have to worry about tiring towards the end of the round. He's fine round a "normal" course but I know some of these resort courses have long walks.

Any other tips or info?

Cheers
Stu

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There aren't too many long walks on the 2010. In fact, everything seems a lot closer to each other than normal...for spectating purposes! Being set in the valley, it isn't hilly either, until you get towards 15-18, and you then start working your way back up to the clubhouse.

For me, I wouldn't get a buggy, especially as you can then take all the surroundings in, but ultimately, the decision is yours!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Wabinaz, that's good to know. I prefer not to use a buggy and so does Dad. I would only get one if it's a real grind on foot. Sounds like it's fine.

Cheers

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the 2010 and Roman road courses are both ok for walking, the Monty course is very hilly, you'll be fine on foot. Hopefully the weather will stay nice for you.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Maybe get an electric trolley? Can take in the views and don't have to worry about a heavy bag...

What CH said.

When I played on a corp day we were given buggies but had to stick to the buggie track along-side the fairway, by the time had walked out to ball and back to buggie not sure the resulting walk was any shorter at all (plus frustration of either carrying 4 clubs to each shot or always having the wrong one, esp first time round a new course!!!).

(we played in June but it was wet so not sure if buggie path only is normal of if this would be relaxed now given we've had some dry weather).

Simon

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The buggy's are a pain in the neck anyway as you cant drive them on the fairways. At times it was a 150 yard walk to your ball them 150 back to your cart. The course is fantastic and you should enjoy it. I would however stock up your golf bags with food and drink from your local super market. Their prices are just silly. £3.70 for a coke

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Mark Crossfield did a course vlog thing from the 2010 the other week. Might be worth a peak to see what it will be like?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched the crossfield match already, looks excellent.
As does the monty course, shame our tee time isn't earlier I would have gone for 36!