200 =/= 200 ?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I go to two driving ranges. In one the range is uphill and in the other the range is downhill.

Is the 200 yard marker equivalent at both if you consider the difference in slope?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have probably got to ask the people who run the range that question, and bearing in mind range balls don't travel as far as normal ones are the distances adjusted for that?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on a lot of things.
Are the balls regulated to be less than 100% distance?
Some are 60% some 70, some 80 etc depending on how much room the range has.
The 200 yard marker could be 200 yards or it could be a %age based on the balls..

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to go to a range which run parallel to a 130 yard par 3. Even with the range being a little bit back and the width of a green added to it I can’t see how they have a 200 yard sign out there. And from the 8th green it was easy to see that the 200 and 250 sign were barely 10 yards apart.

I don’t think all signs are what they say they are.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to take range distances with a huge pinch of salt. Add in the dodgy balls, do the distances really have any merit?

Hit the balls, you know yourself if it is a good strike, watch the trajectory. That is more worthy imo.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
200 yards is 200 yards regardless of whether it's uphill or downhill.

The question is which ball should fly further IF the distance is the same.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go with the comment about the balls and comparing a range with an actual golf course.

Personally I have never used a range to gather info about how far I hit a ball except to compare one club against another.

I use a range to check which direction I am hitting a ball and how the ball is getting to it's final resting point.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do both 200 markers say 'yards' on them?
they normally just say 200 don't they?

So on top of the other variables already mentioned, if there's a difference, one might be in meters

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do both 200 markers say 'yards' on them?
they normally just say 200 don't they?

So on top of the other variables already mentioned, if there's a difference, one might be in meters

Quite sure they are both yards. Just wondered if ranges make any slope related compensation when displaying their yardages.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I imagine they measure 200 yards across the ground and would not 'allow' for any slope up or down.

That aside, as others said you cannot take any yardage information from the driving range anyway, because the balls will be totally dead compared to the ones you use on the course and wouldn't fly as far.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In theory the uphill one will land short.
The downhill will land long.
But conditions and wind etc will make it impossible to judge.
Range balls are crap and I wouldn’t judge anything by them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Range balls are crap and I wouldn’t judge anything by them.
So very true. I never bother with distances when I go to the range given the variance in the condition of the range balls and not knowing for certain what % limitation they are it makes the whole thing pointless. It's a difficult one other than finding an uphill/downhill hole on the course and hitting a few proper balls and using a laser to measure them. Daft question but can you factor uphill/downhill onto a launch monitor. If so the OP could look to find somewhere that has one and hit the balls he plays with into the bay and measure

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So very true. I never bother with distances when I go to the range given the variance in the condition of the range balls and not knowing for certain what % limitation they are it makes the whole thing pointless. It's a difficult one other than finding an uphill/downhill hole on the course and hitting a few proper balls and using a laser to measure them. Daft question but can you factor uphill/downhill onto a launch monitor. If so the OP could look to find somewhere that has one and hit the balls he plays with into the bay and measure
At 200yds it makes no difference to most handicap players.
I usually just go one club more uphill and one less downhill.
Unless it’s a severe slope.