2 Scores out of 4ball count comp

gopher99

Visit site
I played in a captains charity day on Sunday, where the format was 2 scores out of the 4ball count. With each player playing off 85% handicap, in my group there was a 6, 9, 14 and a 16 handicapper. We scored 98 points which surprisingly won the comp, thinking about it afterwards is this a decent score for the rounds or about average. I rarely play in comps like this so i wouldn’t know.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have only played in one and I think that score would have won that as well. That is a stonker, well played.

If you think about it, 72 points would be par (please no one get nerdy about this, you know what I mean). Your group scored 26 points better. Nearly 5 1/2 points per hole, very consistent scoring across your team.

Swango1980

Visit site
I played in a captains charity day on Sunday, where the format was 2 scores out of the 4ball count. With each player playing off 85% handicap, in my group there was a 6, 9, 14 and a 16 handicapper. We scored 98 points which surprisingly won the comp, thinking about it afterwards is this a decent score for the rounds or about average. I rarely play in comps like this so i wouldn’t know.
Verging on the bandit type score, averaging 5.5 points per hole. Not bad, considering no one got a shot on 2 holes (assuming these are Playing Handicaps you are quoting), 3 players didn't get a shot for 4 holes, 2 players for 9 holes and 1 guy didn't get a shot on 12 holes. So, I'd expect a fair few 3 and 4 pointers on a score like that, especially if players didn't get birdies on the easiest holes.

98 points would normally smash the field in this type of format when I play in them. Usual winning scores maybe creep over 90, but certainly high 90's is possible on a fantastic day. Mind you, once the winning score was 128 points, but none of the four had official handicaps so the organiser allowed them to all play off 28.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played in one of these )pre WHS) at Royal Porthcawl on a February day where the seagulls were walking cos it was too windy to fly... the bulk of scores were high 70s/low 80s... one group came in with 96.

As they went up for their prizes, a low hissing sound came from the assembled others. They must have had a freaky good day, or were cheating like crazy!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
98 is an exceptional score and should win every time. We play quite a few and aim for 90 which should usually be in the prizes off 85%. Usually end up with low 80’s which misses out dependant upon the weather.

well done btw.

gopher99

Visit site
These were playing handicaps and in the 4ball was 1 senior and 2 super seniors in there early 70’s and myself at 47 who was the youngster in the group. I had 6 birdies in 8 holes, and 4 of the birdies were strokes 1-4 on the card. In total I think we had 10 birdies over the round, the second place was 95 points, and joint 3rd was 93 points. I have never played in a comp like this before so I really didn’t have any bench mark of what to score and also no expectations of winning, it was more for the charity day which cost me over £200 in bids for more tee time vouchers.

Swango1980

Visit site
These were playing handicaps and in the 4ball was 1 senior and 2 super seniors in there early 70’s and myself at 47 who was the youngster in the group. I had 6 birdies in 8 holes, and 4 of the birdies were strokes 1-4 on the card. In total I think we had 10 birdies over the round, the second place was 95 points, and joint 3rd was 93 points. I have never played in a comp like this before so I really didn’t have any bench mark of what to score and also no expectations of winning, it was more for the charity day which cost me over £200 in bids for more tee time vouchers.
6 birdies in 8 holes, which included birdies on the 4 hardest holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is your handicap?

I think my best is 6 birdies in a round, and I've played well over 1000 rounds, my lowest handicap being 6.

wjemather

Visit site
6 birdies in 8 holes, which included birdies on the 4 hardest holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is your handicap?

I think my best is 6 birdies in a round, and I've played well over 1000 rounds, my lowest handicap being 6.
It's often a mistake to assume that the lowest stroke index holes are the most difficult. It's only relatively recently that guidance has promoted SI allocation based on difficulty; many courses will not have reassessed with changing guidance, so theirs could be based on any one of a number of different criteria (e.g. likely benefit to the higher handicapper in match play) - for example, when we complete reassessment of ours, the current SI 5, 6 and 7 holes (all par 5s) will become 16, 17 and 18.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's often a mistake to assume that the lowest stroke index holes are the most difficult. It's only relatively recently that guidance has promoted SI allocation based on difficulty; many courses will not have reassessed with changing guidance, so theirs could be based on any one of a number of different criteria (e.g. likely benefit to the higher handicapper in match play) - for example, when we complete reassessment of ours, the current SI 5, 6 and 7 holes (all par 5s) will become 16, 17 and 18.
OK, my comment was a simplification rather than a detailed description of stroke indices. I realise that the SI was primarily set up to be used in match play, and thus the indices should be well spread out, try not to start with a SI 1 on Hole 1, etc. However, in general, the lower the SI the harder the hole.

Even if he had 6 birdies over 8 consecutive holes, on SI 12-18, I'd still be impressed. Even if his name was Rory McIlroy