1st tee time

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm playing in our regular winter Stableford comp next Saturday and I have just checked to see who else has their name down at this stage. The BRS system shows sunrise at 8.18, I'm booked in with a pp at 8.40. Somewhat bizarrely there is a group at 8.08 but even more odd is one at 7.52. That is 26 minutes before the sun will come up :unsure:.

I'm not quite sure what you are achieving by going out in the dark but more fool them. Does anyone's club prevent people going out before sunrise or do you just let them get on with it?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We quite commonly go out before proper dawn has broken.
Friday was quite a bright morning and we set off about 15 minutes before actual sunrise.
Bright enough to see

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are on BRS
Earliest Bookable tee times are sunrise, so change week to week, this time of year
Eg..... Today it was 808am
Wasn't possible to book a time before that
We are on BRS as well but presumably the golf manager has decided not to restrict the times.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The forecast latest time for sunrise where I play is 8.15 (mid winter). There is probably enough light for play to commence at first available time of 8.00 am.
I would not know for sure about the light because I only get up shortly before that time.:D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Where's Del when you need him. Think there's something called nautical sunrise, which is before sunrise, and thats when it starts to get light.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think you are about 250-300 miles south of us though. Practically a different country 😁
Good point well made. We do have a Saturday group that are on the tee while it's still dark and I'm sure it's not light enough to see the green from the 160 yards away off the yellows but they go off at the first chink of light. I can't even see balls to hit on the practice ground at time. They seem happy though but not something I'd do

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
officially first tee time is about 8am, as thats when it get light here. but a lady goes out every morning on her own at god knows what time as we see here playing the last 3 at around 9 ish and she's been all the way round.... every day, she is barking though;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where we are, sunrise is never later than 8:06 and as we are not allowed to tee off before 8:00, it never a problem.

I do sympathise though, with those of you who are much further north , where at this time of year, the sun doesnt come up till about Thursday.
That’s only because we put the clocks back for them!

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I think it depends on how your BRS is set up. Our usual first tee off is 7.15am although BRS automatially (or manually I'm not sure) adjust it each week as the sun rises later to put back the first tee off time according to sunrise. it then garadulaly adjusts earlier from the end of December until 7.15am is the first time again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interestingly enough I actually took notice of the daylight this morning. It was a clear morning, no clouds. You could have teed off at 8.00am. It was murky but you could have played the 1st and been just about okay. By 8.08 it was better and 8.16 it was definitely fine. Unless today was exceptionally clear BRS has been too negative on our system. The guys at 7.52am will not be able to see their golf balls after they have hit them though, that is still daft.