1st set of clubs, go all out out or stick to beginners set!?

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been looking about at getting my 1st set of clubs, been looking at both new and used, but either way im not sure how i should spend my money based on the fact im very very new to this having only played a round of golf for the first time this week!
I've been thinking of buying a decent used set and hopefully they'll last a long time as appose to buying a cheap new set and then wanting to upgrade in the near future, i dont think i'll be joining a club, i'll probably be playing on average only upto about 15-20 times a year i imagine with other commitments and work in mind
I dont even know where to start with what im looking at!? all ive looked at is names and prices etc!? im now also worried about fakes with what ive been reading etc about buying used etc rather than from a shop!
any advice appreciated
thanks

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some pro shops sell second hand sets. Possibly go in and speak to a pro and also get lessons would be my advice
yeah im definitely going to have some lessons, will also pop in a some local shops and ask advice about sets too cheers

jplkorea83

Assistant Pro
www.konglishkitchen.com
I wouldn't go crazy on your first set, just on the off chance that you discover you don't actually enjoy playing after all!
Your swing will change so dramatically that it's more important to buy clubs more suited to you once you have a solid foundation.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You are probably unlikely to encounter fakes on a used second hand set

My advice would be to pop into an american golf, hit a club of different irons and then go away with 2 or 3 that you like, also see if they have any advice on perhaps length/lie if you are paritcularly tall or short
Then try and source a second hand set off ebay, dont be in a rush. You will find something and dont let them talk you into buying straight away, go home, have a think. Post on here when you are narrowing it down, the amount fo experience and helpful advice on here is superb

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks for looking in everyone, i'll pop to the american golf next week some time, have a chat and check out some clubs, possibly wait until lessons are done too as im sure the pro will be able to add to the advice from here too, also been recommended by a few others all varying from ping i10's to x22 callaways to just getting a new 200 quid set of wilsons!

probably be looking to get 2nd hand as i feel it will be money better spend on better kit, going to set myself a budget of 250-300 tops for irons, woods, driver and bag i think, at least i can work with something then

A

Alex1975

I think you need to work out what you want out of golf, is there someone in your family or friends who can lend you a set for a few months? This would be ideal until you know that you "like to play but are not fussed about getting good" "are totally hooked and are going to move heaven and earth to get better" or somewhere in the middle.

If you are set on getting some clubs, and I would be... what sort of money are you looking to spend? do you want all clubs(14) or are you just looking for some irons?

I would personally avoid American Golf or any superstore of that ilk unless you know your own mind and exactly what you are looking for, you are currently a prime candidate to be sold what they want you to have, that being whatever has the grates percentage profit within the bank of clubs you are looking for.

Once you have set a budget and how many clubs you want then I/we can give you a list of things to try/look at and you can try them at AG or the local pro shop but maybe buy from ebay or a n other site.

Best you get armed with as much info as you can before you dive in to buying clubs, it can get addictive.... playing golf is fun too :D

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks Alex

i think if i were to be initially honest with myself, i think i'd probably from the off get into it a fiar bit, trying to get to a half decent level where i wouldnt be scared to go for a round should any of my better playing mates asked! then knowing my current social commitments and work etc probably fall back to having around 1-2 round's per month at most as an average, not going mental, certainly not for the immediate future, no matter how much i get into it, life will be getting in the way for now!

that said, i'd like a set of clubs that will last this sort of initial idea of how much id be playing, i'm going to give myself a budget of say £250 give or take maybe £50, but that will be for irons, woods, putter and driver with a bag!

i have shoes, and will pick up maybe a set of waterproofs and a shirt and shorts to go with what trousers and shirt i have for now, should be ok as beginner and someone who just need some kit to call on every few weeks!?

*also, before i came here and didnt really research, i was just gunna go out and spend about 750 of callaway razr x outfit just thinking they are new and look good so will last, so thanks to all for making me see the light lol

i'd appreciate any examples of clubs with bag in that price range, and will hold off until lessons are had still anyway

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
oh, and ive got a round in a few months at the ryder cup course at the celtic mannor, so want to try to play enough to be "ok" at least going round there! lol

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you are on the right lines

Most of the major manufactures 'normal' model, with regular shafts, lofts and lies from about 4 years ago should be adequate for you for many years, and be well within your range.

Realistically you are in the best position to purchase SH - there will be a lot of people out there who should (realistically) be happy to sell such a set of irons for 120, and a driver, 3/4 wood and some sort of rescue, 3 or 4 again, should be about the same. Go back to 6-8 year old models, or older, and the prices should be dirt cheap - I recently gave away a Taylor Made Titanium 1/3/5 Burners on Bubble II shafts as an example; no real value. However something like the Callaway x14 irons would still be a reasonable buy for you, and get newer 'woods'.
Any putter will do to learn - after which you will either start collecting them or be happy with what you have!

A Bag's a bag, until it has to be a certain colour, have a badge etc - a good twin shoulder carry strap is however a good investment.

Hope you enjoy the addicition

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anymore freebies goings!? Lol

Yeah it's looking likely that of I use my head and not spend pointlessly I'll just pick up some used like you say, again though choosing and being clueless is my only problem lol

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Callaway-...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item27c5f2a61c

This would be perfect set of irons for a beginner and a driver aswell

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ping-G5-1...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item256f4b5e9a

A good 3 wood that again is perfect for a beginner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ping-G5-R...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item2c64c43d3c

A hybrid that is the same make as the 3 wood

As you can see there are plenty of bargains to be had out there, all from just a 5 minute search. With regards to a putter I would just go into an american golf etc and just find one you like as putters are very personal, after that you'll be pretty much set, invest in a few lessons to get the basics such as stance grip etc and then youll be good to go :)

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
again thnks for looking in, wil cntinue to try to hold off until lessons are had, but will keep an eye out for such bargains, just been offerd a motocaddy S1 push trolley with maxfly trolley bag for £60 though! very nive trolley, so may buy it!