1st Post: rate my Sept Trip to Scotland

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
People here at work wonder if I'll even come back! I was actually looking forward to the micro-mini car....
If you know of Jacque Tati, French film maker in the 1940s-60s, you'll know just how I feel "on the road."

Last edited:

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well I lived for a winter in the Rocky Mountains of Montana, bathing in a cast-iron tub filled with the last spring water of Fall, warmed by a fire underneath, under falling snow....no pix, so don't ask.
After that I'm ready for anything.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well I lived for a winter in the Rocky Mountains of Montana, bathing in a cast-iron tub filled with the last spring water of Fall, warmed by a fire underneath, under falling snow....no pix, so don't ask.
After that I'm ready for anything.

Yes but i expect you knew it was snowing, here its sunny one minuet, blizzard next.

was lovely here yesterday morning (again today) played and was sweltering, took my dogs for a walk and it was like winter... from 18 deg down to about 5 in no time at all.

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
I just booked Pitlochry in place of Boat of Garten....tough choice, but the mountain air will be a nice "breather" from the links. It's on my circle route through the Cairngorms so it is a perfect choice.

The course is like the one I played as a kid oh so many years ago. I may leave a couple of clubs behind to lighten the load on this hike.

and this...I'm playing Dornoch (in addition to Tain, Brora and Golspie) rather than Hopeman...I've got that whole area covered...a very intensive week of golf.

...and have been invited to Machrihanish Dunes...I'm going as much for the ride down the peninsula where few foreigners go as much as for the game.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I just booked Pitlochry in place of Boat of Garten....tough choice, but the mountain air will be a nice "breather" from the links. It's on my circle route through the Cairngorms so it is a perfect choice.

The course is like the one I played as a kid oh so many years ago. I may leave a couple of clubs behind to lighten the load on this hike.

and this...I'm playing Dornoch (in addition to Tain, Brora and Golspie) rather than Hopeman...I've got that whole area covered...a very intensive week of golf.

...and have been invited to Machrihanish Dunes...I'm going as much for the ride down the peninsula where few foreigners go as much as for the game.

Pitlochry isn't a patch on BOG and i imagine BOG also higher altitude wise as well.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Excellent choice..... for both the ride down & the course :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Patrick...BoG is still a possibility the next day!

last time i played it, it was very wet underfoot and TBH i didn't think much of it either time I've played. people always mention the views, but you could get those for free elsewhere.

Also Pitlochry is only 120m ASL where Bog is 220, i would imagine the highest course up here is Kingussie.. off the A9 anyway

Last edited:

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
last time i played it, it was very wet underfoot and TBH i didn't think much of it either time I've played. people always mention the views, but you could get those for free elsewhere.

Also Pitlochry is only 120m ASL where Bog is 220, i would imagine the highest course up here is Kingussie.. off the A9 anyway

Boat of Garten, Grantown on Spey and Kinguisse were all in fantastic condition 2 weeks ago when we played them, especially Grantown on Spey. Views from all 3 courses are lovely but BOG would get my vote for being the best, but Grantown on Spey was the pic of the courses.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Boat of Garten, Grantown on Spey and Kinguisse were all in fantastic condition 2 weeks ago when we played them, especially Grantown on Spey. Views from all 3 courses are lovely but BOG would get my vote for being the best, but Grantown on Spey was the pic of the courses.

i was talking about Pitlochry Andy.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If your going down to Machrihanish and are a fan of small courses try Carradale on the way back up a wee nine hole course with lovely views, though its a slow road on that side single track with passing places. If you are wanting to see Scotalnd rather than driving round Loch Fyne take the ferry to Arran and see a bit of Arran there is a 12 hole course there (Shiskine ) which is the only one in Britian and another cracker but Arran is well worth seeing even without the golf and more pleasant than driving round Loch Fyne.
If those ferries look a bit pricey I would take the ferry over to the Cowal peninsula instead, which is more scenic and quieter than going back over to Loch Lomond.

Visit site
Shiskine is great, really enjoyed Lamlash too.
The ferry trips taking you through Tighnabruich live long in the memory.

Finally, on the topic of small golf courses Dunaverty down south of Machrihanish is only short but is great fun with some playing off the beach potential.

My point earlier, I've been to Scotland every year for 2 weeks of golf and exploring and never feel we've "done" anywhere, just identified it for more attention another time !

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've only access to the net on my phone, and so will have to be brief for now.

Two great guys on different forums independent of each other took me on unforgettable rounds at Prestwick St Nick and Machrihanish Dunes. I found it difficult to gauge distance along the flat terrain at PSN, and I clearly don't have the power or enough skill against the high winds of Dunes, but I was treated to two wonderful rounds by two nice who it turns out know each other! Small world.
I didn't play well and was disappointed, but those courses were what I'd come for.

This week I fared better at Boat of Gartens, a place like my childhood golf courses in New York State. A couple of guys I was following waited after their round to talk (about my play...I played much better that round...and my hiking with my bag) and one who'd been to NY agreed. Small world.

I played my best thus far yesterday at Brora...no wind or rain... but the course itself was a pleasure. Today at Tain the car wobbled in the lot as I changed shoes! Machrihanish weather all over again. "You're going to play today?" a club employee asked with a bit of disbelief.
I could barely walk through the wind but I could follow the ball (easier than Dunes thankfully), and unlike Dunes I could actually post a score. 86 at Brora, 94 a Tain with a bunch of pars and a bird at both.

Pix to come.

Last edited: