17 holes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course is going to 17 holes for the next few months while they rebuild one of them. How does that work in competitions? The stroke index 17 is out of action, so does that mean 17 handicappers are out of luck and are basically off 16? Or do they get a shot on the stroke 18 instead?

They've said there will still be competitions, and the hole in question will just be blocked out.

MACM85

Visit site
Our course has just closed the 16th while doing some work. They have changed the par 5 into two holes to make up for it. SI's are still staying the same. All Comps are non qualifying.

D-S

Visit site
It just means that for handicap purposes that hole is deemed to be not started and players get net par for that hole.
For competitions the hole is just ignored.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course has just closed the 16th while doing some work. They have changed the par 5 into two holes to make up for it. SI's are still staying the same. All Comps are non qualifying.
This idea was proposed but the members rejected it. They were happier just playing 17 holes.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Our course is going to 17 holes for the next few months while they rebuild one of them. How does that work in competitions? The stroke index 17 is out of action, so does that mean 17 handicappers are out of luck and are basically off 16? Or do they get a shot on the stroke 18 instead?

They've said there will still be competitions, and the hole in question will just be blocked out.
It would be up to the committee, but that would be the sensible way.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It just means that for handicap purposes that hole is deemed to be not started and players get net par for that hole.
For competitions the hole is just ignored.
That is what EG recommended to us.

We have introduced a short par 3 for non qualifying competitions but wasn't worth getting a new rating for the few qualifiers over the winter.

Reactions: D-S

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have had 2 holes at my course do the same. We are lucky in that they were 2 bland, straight par 5's, one after the other, running side by side. Easy to drop a couple of mini greens in and who misses a long par 5 in winter?

Interesting thread ?. It's another learning day.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

Presumably you're talking about the 14th, and I guess they are building a new green a long way back from Mr Pain-in-the-a***'s garden?

What are their plans for the old 14th green? I suggest holding all night raves on it :devilish:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Presumably you're talking about the 14th, and I guess they are building a new green a long way back from Mr Pain-in-the-a***'s garden?

What are their plans for the old 14th green? I suggest holding all night raves on it :devilish:
That's right - new green on the short side of the bunker, will end up being a mid-length downhill par 3.

sunshine

Visit site
We have a similar situation, and have split a par 5 into two holes to maintain 18 holes. Every time I've played, our group has just agreed to play the par 5 as normal. Everyone would rather play 17 proper holes instead of 16 holes and 2 mickey mouse holes including a temp green.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We once had a hole temporarily shortened. It was just calculated as played to handicap irrespective of score.