150th Open @ St Andrews ballot

C7usk

Visit site
Yeah just heard from good lady we have 4no for Sat and Sun... Kinda hoping they are individual tickets and not a weekend ticket.. As we will prob just go on the Sat and watch the final day on the tele.

C7usk

Visit site
Wow, never actually realised they would be so difficult to get.. ?.. I reckon there will be a lot for sale come early next year when people who have been successful can put the ones they never wanted back for resale legitimately at cost price...

TigerTime

Visit site
I stupidly applied for Thurs - Sun thinking I could opt out if I didn't get the day I wanted.

Now I have a ticket for all 4. I mean, delighted and all that but there is a slim chance I'll be able to make all 4. I presume if I just purchase the 4, I can sell on the ones I don't need? Or am I stuffed?

C7usk

Visit site
I think you need to take the lot of them GGTTH. Or not at all... Which is a healthy outlay.... You can resale to others who want unwanted tickets early next year.... I also hope you can split the tickets so to speak...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-184132_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-184132_Chrome.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20211018-184242_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-184242_Chrome.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 34

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have managed to get tickets in the ballot for the Tuesday practice session.

The plan is to fly up from Bristol to Edinburgh on the Monday evening, stay overnight and then fly back on the Tuesday after the practice round although I’ve heard the traffic will be crap and we may end up having to leave reasonably early to get to the airport in time.

What are my best options for somewhere to stay on the Monday evening?

I was thinking perhaps the Open puts on a free bus from outside of St Andrew’s for the tournament and we stay near there?

Any advice appreciated (y)

C7usk

Visit site
Hi Dogma, am impressed.. Flying up for the practice day. You have a lot of options really. Although these will quickly disappear as folk get told whether they have tickets or not. Staying in the Fife / Dundee area on the Monday your looking at £120 give or take ( much dearer if you want) . I know the open puts on bus transfers from Leuchars train station. ( nearest station to st andrews) on playing days. Am not sure bout practice days. You could stay in Edinburgh ( not cheap but decent night out) or even a town outside for a cheaper stay and get the train up on the Tuesday... The traffic won't be bad as vast majority get the train and the bus transfer... I'm goin from Livingston... Train into Edinburgh.. Get connection to Leuchars... Jump on bus... Job done.
P.S there is a tram stop at Edinburgh Airport now which you can take to get into Edinburgh centre to get a connecting train... Hope ya have a good one and the weather's good... I actually can't wait already. Buzzing... Even though St Andrews is flat as hell and you can't see much unless your in a stand... Who cares.. Get next to a tee and watch the pros in action... Get some overpriced Stella in a plastic glass n spend freely at the merch tent.. Lol. Njoy.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once you have tickets, the Open's own camping/glamping village may be of interest: https://www.stayattheopen.com/camping

Details on the Park & Rides haven't been announced yet that I can see. In my experience these are generally the best way to shuttle in. Extra trains are generally scheduled to run to Leuchars station but at peak times they are busier options than the Park & Ride, again just in my experience from the last couple of times.

Good luck finding any accommodation in Fife. It seems to be fully booked unless you're willing to spend five figures as a group.

Dundee & Angus are better travel options than Edinburgh in my opinion but there isn't as much hotel capacity as there is in Edinburgh. Also appreciate people prefer the Edinburgh nightlife but plan for over 2 hours of travelling between Edinburgh and St Andrews compared to much less than 1 hour from Dundee.

evemccc

Visit site
This ballot for the Open is I think the R&A trying and make tickets for future Opens seem as prized and as hard to come by as Wimbledon show-court tickets...therefore price hikes over and above inflation will come to, by creating the illusion of demand outstripping supply

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The Open really has become a must see event. I remember just rocking up on the day to Lytham, Carnoustie, Hoylake and St Andrews and paying for a day ticket on tehe door with no issue!

It's the best tournament in golf for me so I am super happy that it sells out now.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Assume they will wait to see who accepts or declines the tickets and then re- offer declined tickets to the rest of us but not am thinking the chances are pretty slim! In some ways it solves the issues of where I’d stay over, heard some silly prices for areas close by being banded about.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Assume they will wait to see who accepts or declines the tickets and then re- offer declined tickets to the rest of us but not am thinking the chances are pretty slim! In some ways it solves the issues of where I’d stay over, heard some silly prices for areas close by being banded about.
We have accommodation in Dunfermline now I need the tickets.
I haven't given up hope yet, as per the R&A Website; "Due to the huge level of interest, we anticipate that this process could take a number of weeks and individuals may be notified about the success of their application at different stages".
There's hpoe yet.

Fabia999

Visit site
We have accommodation in Dunfermline now I need the tickets.
I haven't given up hope yet, as per the R&A Website; "Due to the huge level of interest, we anticipate that this process could take a number of weeks and individuals may be notified about the success of their application at different stages".
There's hpoe yet.
You are given 10 days buy your tickets before they are released. I expect the next wave might be the 28th

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Dogma, am impressed.. Flying up for the practice day. You have a lot of options really. Although these will quickly disappear as folk get told whether they have tickets or not. Staying in the Fife / Dundee area on the Monday your looking at £120 give or take ( much dearer if you want) . I know the open puts on bus transfers from Leuchars train station. ( nearest station to st andrews) on playing days. Am not sure bout practice days. You could stay in Edinburgh ( not cheap but decent night out) or even a town outside for a cheaper stay and get the train up on the Tuesday... The traffic won't be bad as vast majority get the train and the bus transfer... I'm goin from Livingston... Train into Edinburgh.. Get connection to Leuchars... Jump on bus... Job done.
P.S there is a tram stop at Edinburgh Airport now which you can take to get into Edinburgh centre to get a connecting train... Hope ya have a good one and the weather's good... I actually can't wait already. Buzzing... Even though St Andrews is flat as hell and you can't see much unless your in a stand... Who cares.. Get next to a tee and watch the pros in action... Get some overpriced Stella in a plastic glass n spend freely at the merch tent.. Lol. Njoy.
Appreciate the reply!

Starting to think it may not be worth the hassle :ROFLMAO:
Train from the airport seems to take over two hours and I can’t seem to find anything reasonable accommodation wise.

Would a taxi take us from the airport to St Andrew’s?