15 Clubs

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
For over a decade I only carried 13 clubs and never felt the urge to have another one in the bag as I didn’t need it. How things change! Now, I would really like to be able to carry 15 as I genuinely feel I need a 3 iron and 5 wood, plus a PW, 50 degree wedge, 54 degree wedge and a lob wedge.

I never thought this would be the case as have always thought too many wedges spoil the broth but have either evolved as a golfer, succumbed to marketing nonsense or am entirely wrong.

Does anyone else wish they could stick another stick in their bag?

I do not carry 14 clubs. Driver, 3w set to 16.5, 19* utility iron, 4-PW, 50 & 58. Never have I thought that in the last round I would have shot lower had I had 14 clubs. If I was to add anything though it would probably be a 5w or 7w. I really do not see any advantage to having 15 clubs. Rick shiels has done a couple of good videos on this. He has one were he takes a ton of golf clubs out, I mean like about 30 and doesn't shoot any lower. He has one where a good golfer goes out and shoots under par with 4 clubs.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Like @jim8flog I carry 14 clubs because I can. In reality I don't use them all with some being used far more than others. I play in the winter with half a set for carrying and still get decent scores. You just have to think about your shots more. I could probably drop a few clubs from my set without really feeling the impact.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Last time our club ran a 4-club 9-hole comp was 2012. I went out with 21d hybrid, 6-iron, PW and putter. Made 2 birdies, three bogeys and smashed the comp with 20 points. Everyone was p'ed off with me and they have never run such a comp again.
As I have said before, I learned to play with a cut-down spoon, mashie, mashie-niblick and putter and broke 100 round Barnsley municipal before my 11th birthday. It does not feel weird to me at all if playing with only 4 clubs.
I always take 14 clubs out, would probably take a couple more if allowed. Nothing to be gained by taking fewer than 14 by choice.
But I would not mind much if the limit were reduced. I would do what jim8flog suggests and increase the difference in lofts in the irons set up. So instead of 8 clubs 3-PW reduce this to 6 clubs but starting and finishing with the same lofts. Only really need a driver and a 4-wood/hybrid, two more wedges and a putter - that would be 11 clubs, no problem.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm currently at 14 but reckon I could live without my 58d and my 3W. I also have a 5i and a hybrid that are both 24* and go a similar distanc. Ideally I'd lose the hybrid and replace with a 4i but I can't bring myself to do it as when all my other mid to long clubs go to pot (which can happen quite a lot) the old 24* Benross hybrid becomes my go to club from, well, anywhere.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Four wedges eeeek
In my pomp I did most of my pitching with a 9 iron,
I learned to play a half shot, cut up, low gripper, bump and run etc to suit whatever challenge I was set.
I used my eight iron quite a bit for bounce and run shots
I carried a wedge but seldom used it except for a full shot.
SI was for greenside bunkers of hack outs.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think a good set up would be...
12 deg driver
15 deg 3 wood
17 deg 5 wood
3&4 hybrid
5-pw*
52 & 58 wedges
Putter

*Only if the PW is around 46 deg
Sadly the 42 deg PW ruins that plan

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry 13 at the moment.

Driver, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, 52, 56, 60, Putter

Big gap between my PW and my 52 degree that im considering plugging due to my Irons being very strong lofted - 42 degree PW!!!

Dont carry any woods but do carry 2 hybrids, so I've got plenty of wiggle room! 4H is great out the rough, 3H is much better off the tee. Could replace with a 3W at some point but not so fussed!

Surely a 50 degree wedge would replace the 52 and gap it better?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
More like a 48 and 54.

God knows what the loft on the 5 iron is like if PW is 42 degrees....
My PW is 44 and the 5 iron was 23 I believe. (I say was because it hasn't been in the bag for over three years.) So extrapolating from that I guess his one is 21?? Essentially a 3 iron.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More like a 48 and 54.

God knows what the loft on the 5 iron is like if PW is 42 degrees....

My pw is 43 with a gap of 50 then 56 sand

A pro explained it to me once that whilst loft has been cranked it's not that much as they are more forgiving so had to crank the loft to get the distance back as people don't like seeing their clubs go less distance

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think I’ve got 12 clubs in the bag and some of the irons I only use once or twice in a round, 9 wood is the club I use most now.

Boomy

Visit site
I’m happy with my 14 at present.

Driver, 3 wood, 2 iron, 4 hybrid (sometimes swap to 4 iron) 5-9 irons, 48pw, 52gap, 56sand, 58 with custom bounce for tight lie fairways/lobby shots. Putter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve always played my best with 13 clubs, only currently carrying 14 as it’s a new course and I’m finding a 2h more useful than a 4w but they both have their space respectively ... for now.

My wedges go Pw, 52, 58 and I’d never want more than that

Driver, 4w, 18* 20* and 23* hybrids, 5~pw plus 52/58 wedges.

May mess around with the hybrids and a 4i in the winter

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
people will alwys carry 14 clubs just because they can and think that it will make them score lower. I carry a 50* and 58* as I really do not see the point of wasting money on a SW as it will never get used, but people will argue that a full set of wedges is needed.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
people will alwys carry 14 clubs just because they can and think that it will make them score lower. I carry a 50* and 58* as I really do not see the point of wasting money on a SW as it will never get used, but people will argue that a full set of wedges is needed.
Similar to you in a way, 46PW, 52 and 64 for me. The 64 is for getting out of or getting over greenside bunkers. We have some small tight greens. Don't feel the need for any more loft than 52 from 95 yards in.