12 degree driver

blowup

Hacker
Visit site
can anybody tell what distance if any i would lose by going from a 10.5 deg driver to a 12 deg driver and would the ball trajectory be noticably diffrent i have tried a 9 deg and that didnt seem much diffrent thanks

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends on the make blowup, callaways are notorious for quoting a degree but in reality it usually plays more, ie a 9 plays a little higher. Where I find titleists a either spot on or maybe send the ball a little lower than id have expected.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Doesn't Monty use a 12 degree Driver.

Not entirely sure how relevant that is to this particular thread but thought i'd chuck it in anyway ;)

DHM.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As much depends on the shaft, and your set up and swing speed. Usual comments about custom fit apply really. Difficult to guess these things.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a 13 degree driver and has made very little difference with regards distance. It has, however, helped kill off my slice

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get custom fit, find you swing speed and your launch angle. This will then determin what loft / flex shaft you need.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you prone to the odd off center hit I would also recommend a slighty shorter shaft. Coming down to 43 incheshas increased my consistency no end.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 12 degree and a 10 degree driver, both with the same length shaft. I'd guess the distance difference is about 10-12 yards. I notice a small difference in the shots going nastily right or left, it is worse with the 10, no question.
If you have a 10.5 don't expect going to 12 to save you more than the odd yd right or left. Unless you hit the ball high, you'd be ok with either. My launch is 13-15 degrees with the 10 degree, it is approx 15-16 with the 12, meaning I'd certainly be losing distance (considering my swing) with using my 12.

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
GB72, what did you change from when you went to 13?
I have a killer slice off 10.5 but also lately a very high launch angle that's definitely stealing yards.
It has been suggested that a bigger loft will help the slice and a stiffer shaft the high launch. (Lessons before I change clubs though!)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been through a number of drivers. had a huge slice with both a Burner and an R7460 both with regular shafts. Since changing to a 13 degree loft and a 43 inch shaft I am actually hitting fairways and the bad shots tend to only be in the light rough.