10-15yds from green, in the rough.....chip or lob?

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've recently started playing Heaton Park par 3 course with my Dad and Uncle and I've found that any off-target shots are constantly ending up in the rough around 10-15yds from the green. They are within chipping distance but due to the variable lie and the tiny greens, I've been opening up my 56 degree wedge and playing a flop shot to stop the ball before it rolls off the other side.

Is this the optimal shot to be playing?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it works, then it's the shot to play.

You are not going to stop it from the rough, so probably a tiny target for a 'regular' chip.

And good fun when it comes off too!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When a flop is the only way to pitch a ball on the green and have it stay on, sometimes you just have to go with it. It'll be good practice for when you get on a bigger course if nothing else.

If there's a bank up to the green I'll sometimes bang an 8 or 9 iron into the bank so that it kills just enough of the pace for it to hop up gently onto the green and roll out.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends how much green you have to play with. If you have a fair fit then I mostly use my pw and just chip and run a shot and with the lob wedge you need to figure out what the ball averagely runs and then play accordingly. So if it runs 5-10ft then don't pitch to the flag. I try to picture the flag where I think the ball will land and this seems to help pretending the ball won't run. Hope that makes sense as I now feel dizzy...lol

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a bad little pitch and put course is it. Would not have called it a par 3 course myself?

I was just going by the scorecard really. Considering most holes are less than 100yds, its more like a putting green :D.

It's a shot I rarely play on proper courses as there isn't usually rough this thick so close to the greens and the greens aren't the size of dinner plates. I usually just chip and run but most of the greens are also surrounded by mounds or up/down a slope so it can be risky.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When a flop is the only way to pitch a ball on the green and have it stay on, sometimes you just have to go with it. It'll be good practice for when you get on a bigger course if nothing else.

If there's a bank up to the green I'll sometimes bang an 8 or 9 iron into the bank so that it kills just enough of the pace for it to hop up gently onto the green and roll out.

i NEVER EVER play the bump into the bank shot. it just seems to me to be so unpredictable. i will always go for the flop over this any day. i dont even practice it. it just never enters my mind.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was just going by the scorecard really. Considering most holes are less than 100yds, its more like a putting green :D..

Only pulling your leg. It a great way of practising your approach play etc. Try taking just one club. The one that will reach the longest hole. Then use it to manufacture shorter shotss. Will give you great feel for around the greens etc.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rule is, in the rough take more loft! Also you need to be steeper into the ball or your just going to miss-hit.

I take my 56* wedge and play a half pitch shot with quiet hands (see last GM mag), its not a chip and its not a lob (as a lob requires a shallow angle of attack to slide under the ball). Its a most like a pitch shot, the same could be done with a 52 or a 60.

I generally do well from that range, from the fairway I would probably have a 9 or an 8 in my hand but in the rough is a different matter!

Just remember, your probably not going to get that close, just get safe and leave an easy putt!

Last edited:

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only pulling your leg. It a great way of practising your approach play etc. Try taking just one club. The one that will reach the longest hole. Then use it to manufacture shorter shotss. Will give you great feel for around the greens etc.

Yeah, I play it with just my 55* wedge and a putter. If you tee off from the grass without a teee, it's a brilliant way of getting better at those <100yd approach shots.

I think I probably play all of my shots too shallow as I very rarely take a divot, even with the cleanest of hits. I might have to go out and pick up the GM mag from this month and have a read of that article ScienceBoy.