Your thoughts/advice apreciated

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Struggling with one particular shot at the min.. our rough is long & thick right now, if its down in it it can be a hack out job
but what im struggling worse with is the one 50/60 yards or even closer thats sitting way up you nearly have to pick it off it . but still needs a bit of hitting , ive tried all the wedges even punching (or trying should i say) 8 iron ...
im either blading it or going straight under it
its wrecking my head & my score card at the min .. any thoughts ?

thanks

Bill

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Struggling with one particular shot at the min.. our rough is long & thick right now, if its down in it it can be a hack out job
but what im struggling worse with is the one 50/60 yards or even closer thats sitting way up you nearly have to pick it off it . but still needs a bit of hitting , ive tried all the wedges even punching (or trying should i say) 8 iron ...
im either blading it or going straight under it
its wrecking my head & my score card at the min .. any thoughts ?

thanks

Bill

For what its worth Bill and im 6 shots worse than you at the moment...The way id probably approach it is to take a few practice swings just grazing the top of the rough to find my address height....
Swing smooth as any speed will just cause a loss in posture i think....Try and take it clean rather than looking to chop on it.
Im steep into the ball by nature and i can see why it causes you problems......Id find a quite hole some evening at that distance and just hit a few balls to see.....Maybe move the ball a little more forward too to catch it a little later in the swing.

You've got all the loft you need with the ball sitting up.....You could try a really short swing with a mid iron....A 1/4 swing with a 7 iron or something like that.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
For what its worth Bill and im 6 shots worse than you at the moment...The way id probably approach it is to take a few practice swings just grazing the top of the rough to find my address height....
Swing smooth as any speed will just cause a loss in posture i think....Try and take it clean rather than looking to chop on it.
Im steep into the ball by nature and i can see why it causes you problems......Id find a quite hole some evening at that distance and just hit a few balls to see.....Maybe move the ball a little more forward too to catch it a little later in the swing.

You've got all the loft you need with the ball sitting up.....You could try a really short swing with a mid iron....A 1/4 swing with a 7 iron or something like that.

Il try anything mate .. nearly need physcological help now rather than golf help ha ha

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Il try anything mate .. nearly need physcological help now rather than golf help ha ha

Still everything worth a gamble......The worst thing with the ball sitting up and i had it happen to me a few weeks ago.....I had 152mtrs to a raised 2 tier green.....Pulled a 6 iron as i wanted to hit the front third of the green...
Swung what i thought was decently only to go under the ball and catch it with the top 2 or three grooves on the club....My fingers didnt thank me for it at the time...:whistle:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
This guy knows how to do it. I strongly recommend his short game book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iHZPIvGe-8

Nice video. Thanks for posting. With the rough like it is this year I think most of us will have had the ball buried or sitting up and neither are easy shots, unless you are Lefty!

Had one yesterday sitting up on a down slope 15 yards from, and 5 feet below, the hole. Nasty little shot and went right under it.

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know the feeling all too well after yesterday. I had hit my 2nd into deep rough so played a provisional which i managed to get to about 15ft. Thought i would have a quick scout in the rough to see if i could see it and sure enough it was sitting nicely 3 shots later i was out the rough and ended up with a 9 when i could have been putting for a 5!

Won't make that mistake again.

S

Snelly

I would focus on keeping your eye on the back of the ball and hitting down on to it steeply.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably a stupid idea but why not play a bump and run style of shot with a fairway wood?

Deep face, smooth sole through the grass?

:mmm:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would focus on keeping your eye on the back of the ball and hitting down on to it steeply.
Any preference or thought on best club to use ?

Probably a stupid idea but why not play a bump and run style of shot with a fairway wood?

Deep face, smooth sole through the grass?

:mmm:
did think of this also mate... couldnt do it on our second hole as there was a bunker in the way .. did consider it on the 9th tho .. actualy considered down the shaft on the driver & bump & running it .. but stubbornly tried to play the shot id nessed up previously .. & messed up again ..

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is there one from 70 yards??? should have been the question .. not the mumbo jumbo above sorry

You can play exactly the same shot as in the video but with a different club. From 70 yards you could open the face a bit with a pitching wedge and level out the swing if its sat up, or hit down if its buried.