Your Break-Up Tales (or Radio 1: Our Tune stories)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Read an article online about a guy having to ‘break up’ with his long time golf partner (due to moving clubs). Thought it might be fun to hear your experiences and how you broke the news perhaps saying, ‘it’s over mate, it’s not you it’s me’…… and what is it (our tune) that brings the memories flooding back?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trying to imagine Simon Bates telling the Tiger Woods story now. "He was lying on his back unable to move. He thought he'd never play golf again. Then he heard this song by Gabrielle - Rise. Now he's a major champion again".

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Trying to imagine Simon Bates telling the Tiger Woods story now. "He was lying on his back unable to move. He thought he'd never play golf again. Then he heard this song by Gabrielle - Rise. Now he's a major champion again".

Like it

Maybe if forumers want to stay anonymous they can simply write to Mike and he can start a monthly GM column in the mag (called Dear Mike obviously) that tells tales of heartache, despair, sorrow and woe on the golf course?
Whether its a break up or something more serious like losing a treasured headcover, a shoe started leaking after 2 years together or slicing that ball way right that you've played for 53 consecutive holes

Naturally it'll be better if it doesn't have a happy ending (maybe you were dumped out of a pairs team because your partner found someone else!) and Mike gives away a sleeve of balls to the most pathetic deserving story each month :cry:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got dumped by a pairs partner by text saying he was hooking up with another guy from the club. Classy and we'd even reached the winter knockout semi finals. Granted the new pairing went on to win it but that's not the point. Not as bad as old HawkeyeMS (where did he go) moving from my club down to Blackmoor to escape playing with me

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I got dumped by a pairs partner by text saying he was hooking up with another guy from the club. Classy and we'd even reached the winter knockout semi finals. Granted the new pairing went on to win it but that's not the point. Not as bad as old HawkeyeMS (where did he go) moving from my club down to Blackmoor to escape playing with me

Thanks for sharing <group hug smiley>

We kinda need to know what the text message actually said as best you can remember (seems heartless to just say 'i've hooked up with someone else' but I guess some people are really like that :cry: )
Had you guys been together long?
What do you think was the underlying reason for any change to even be considered? Something one of you said/did. Was it a performance issue maybe?

Change can be an uncomfortable period for lots of people, did it happen around the time you got new sticks or maybe went linear?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was pretty much a case of I'm playing with x now in the pairs events. We'd been together for a couple of seasons but I think it was simply a case of him and this other bloke being good mates on and off the course and nothing to do with gear, technique or performance. I can't wait to get drawn against one of them in the singles or them in the pairs. Revenge is a dish best served cold...so not sure I'm totally over it yet

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It was pretty much a case of I'm playing with x now in the pairs events. We'd been together for a couple of seasons but I think it was simply a case of him and this other bloke being good mates on and off the course and nothing to do with gear, technique or performance. I can't wait to get drawn against one of them in the singles or them in the pairs. Revenge is a dish best served cold...so not sure I'm totally over it yet

For my part, & living what is basically an expat lifestyle, I’ve lost my fair share of PP’s over the years too. The revolving community inevitably means folk are going to end contracts/change jobs etc and move away on a fairly regular basis. I really don’t think it me or anything I said but it doesn’t take away the hurt when you’re left behind and it’s not fun having to get back ‘out there’ to find new partners

Also I know one day it will be me that moves on and I really can’t imagine the fallout it’ll leave behind. I mean how do you even prepare for something like that?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played with a guy at Notts a couple of months ago. He had dumped his long time doubles partner. Entered a comp with another guy and went and won it, the final was southport way the last month or so. The winners get to play at TPC Sawgrass. He had to shoot off quick to go to work whe we finished at Notts. I shouted to him " good luck at Sawgrass". His ex playing partner shouted " I hope you get gout". Apparently as winners you can take a caddy and he is taking ex playing partner, so alls well.