Yet Another Rules Query

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is one from the charity day last week. The hole had a water hazard around which a shallow furrow had been scraped and then painted yellow to mark the hazard. Is a ball that comes to rest in the furrow in the hazard or not? Is there any form of relief available?

I played the ball as if it were in the hazard but, despite having a rule book etc to hand we could not find any comment

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a discrepancy in the rule regarding boundaries which may cause some confusion here.

For a ball out of bounds it is only deemed so when all of the ball lie beyond the boundary. So if the ball was touching the out of bounds line but the edge of the ball is over the line and in bounds then the ball is classed as being in bounds. (See Definition of Out of bounds)

For water hazards the idea above is reversed. The ball is classed as being in the hazard if any part of it touches the boundary of a water hazard. This line extends vertically so even if the outer edge of the ball which is not in contact with the ground crosses over the line the ball is deemed to be in the hazard. Decision 26/1 and 26/1.5

The only relief is that which is granted within the rules under penalty of one stroke. See Rule 26-1

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Not wanting to hijack this thread (I think we have the answer already) but I had a similar incident this weekend......
There was a painted line around the front of the green about 40 yards short with notice saying buggies keep outside the line. My ball was right on the line and therefore had a quite bad lie as the line was proper lining paint and not the normal spray can type. I played as it lies but could I have got relief as the line is artificial and therefore technically an obstruction?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This the nearest I could find:

24-2b/20 Interference by Line or Mark on Ground Consisting of Lime or Paint
Q. A ball comes to rest on a line or other mark on the ground consisting of lime or paint that has been drawn for gallery-control purposes or for providing fixed reference points relating to yardage. Is the player entitled to relief under Rule 24-2b?
A. No. Such lines or marks are not obstructions.
However, the Committee may, by Local Rule, declare such areas to be ground under repair.