Yardage difference

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all;
My 3 wood wilson staff FY 3W im hitting only 20 yards shorter than my Ping G10 driver
3wood...... about 230--260
Driver ...... 240--270
is this normal or am i doing something wrong.
My dad reckons i dont really need a driver is this right...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
10 yards is a club length, roughly, so 2 club lengths between driver and 3w is probably about right.

Why would you not need one? On average, it goes further, hence it is useful.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
So im not completely bonkers so as regards my distances....
i thought i mite have been way out....
has anyone any opinions on the macgregor mactec NVG2 driver

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
A 3w struck well and in the right hands will go as far as a driver if you catch the ball well enough. Thing is, the 3w normally finds itself being used on fairways so frequently that its potential against driver are not often seen.

Take your driver and 3w down the range and use a tee for both and see what you get. If you are more suited to your 3w type/shaft/length etc you may even out perform your driver with some shots. Nothing wrong with it at all, it just lets you know what you can do with it. ;)

I often cream a 3w as far as my driver averages, though not as far as my better drives.

You are not bonkers, just know what you can do with it and make choices accordingly.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi HNJ...
Makes sense alright doesnt it
i think my advantage with the 3 wood is that when i fisrt bought my clubs i could only afford a 3 wood so i played maybe 25 rounds or so with it as a driver replacement maybe thats why im hitting it so well..... i didnt know any better at the time i suppose.... im constantly within 5 yards or so with my playing partners with my 3 wood so i suppose if it aint broke dont fix it ;)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi HNJ...
Makes sense alright doesnt it
i think my advantage with the 3 wood is that when i fisrt bought my clubs i could only afford a 3 wood so i played maybe 25 rounds or so with it as a driver replacement maybe thats why im hitting it so well..... i didnt know any better at the time i suppose.... im constantly within 5 yards or so with my playing partners with my 3 wood so i suppose if it aint broke dont fix it ;)

First few years of golf I had nothing but a 3w to hit the big distances, which is why, on a good day I often hit well with the 3w. You are absolutely right, if it aint broke..... ;)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ya i suppose your on the ball alright HNJ
what i get a kick out of is when people see me using the 3 w off the tee and realise iv either matched there drive distance or outdrove them with their big dogs is the expression on there faces :D
and then after its lying up nicely for me the big man upstairs brings me down to earth with a duffed mid iron :eek:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
is this normal or am i doing something wrong.
My dad reckons i dont really need a driver is this right...

Sounds all good to me, and
No, your Dad is wrong.

Any of us on here could probably play perfectly well without a driver, maybe even get in less trouble....but

Golf is about having fun! Where's the fun in not taking a Driver out now and again.

PS...as you've been following my thread on W/S Spine, you'll know that IF you can find the right driver, there's no better feeling than boshing it miles (or a decent length, in my case) and being even closer to those long holes.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ya your spot on there alright RGDave..
as iv said in the other posts iv a G10 10.5 stiff now and am getting on ok with it i only haveit 4 months or so .
maybe if i give it till the ebd of the year and see what happens.....id love a wilson driver in my bag again though....but there definately is no better feeling than bombing one away straight as a die.....

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
give yourself all the options that you can. there are days (all too many of them) when one or another club goes on strike.

at my level with its inherent inconsistencies hitting something else as far as my driver isn't guaranteed but it's nice when it happens. scared myself the other day - 240 with a 3-iron. (didn't last though!)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Viscount17,
I definately get days when clubs go on strike with me too... my 4 iron is constantly at it.. my wilson Di7 set only has 4 - SW and im considering changing my 4 iron for a 4 hybrid although id love to be able to get on with my long irons..... :eek:

Espada

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surely if you have a driver in your bag is a personal decision? Try a couple of rounds without one and see how you get on.

I know that I would have a miserable time if I took my driver out with me, so I use my 3 wood instead and still enjoy playing with it but that doesn't mean you would.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey espada,
Its the confidence thing again isnt it,
all it takes is 1 or 2 bad shots with it and its 3 wood time.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your last post is spot on kid, my driver works on a strict 3 strikes it's out policy, 3 bad drives on a bounce and it's 3w time for the next 3 holes. As a junior (15/16) I never had a driver as I got in too much trouble, my Old vantage 3w was good for 210/225 and was bullet straight, I didn't start hitting drivers until I was 27 and my lowest handicaps have all been without a driver ;)

What does that tell you

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tight tree lined fairways, or a bunker at 250 on the right. Do you still want to be hitting driver. It's about playing the percentages and "trying" to keep it in play. There a several holes at my place where 3 wood is a better play.