XP 95 shaft ball fight

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having a look at the Ping shaft options and the XP 95 is listed as the lightest with highest ball flight.

Anyone have these in irons that could comment on this.

Ta.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've had them.
They are light and they launch the ball high.
Just as it says on the tin!
I found them too light. Didn't mind the high flight too much but I had trouble controlling the club

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've got them in my Mizzies. Don't seem to launch any higher than standard weight r300 shafts. When I was fitted it was the only shaft that I could hit straight, the 105 & 125 shafts I pushed right all the time. I hit them very straight with my 85 to 90 mph driver swingspeed.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm with you on this one 'Imurg' ball flight was stratospheric and for me 'completely uncontrollable' my experience with them was riddled with everything from a full on hook to a massive slice, just couldn't work with'em...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 2 mate with a much faster swing than me who get on with them fine

1 has them on AP1 and hits the ball very high

1 has them on M2s but is low 'flighter' of the ball so he hits what I would call standard flight.

For me I hit the ball too high with a tendency to hook if the shaft is much below a 110 weight.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it isn't the shaft thats launching them into orbit. its the head and/or your technique.

I'll try and dig out the video of rick shiels testing the highest launching shaft against the lowest. the difference was about 1.5 degrees.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it isn't the shaft thats launching them into orbit. its the head and/or your technique.

I'll try and dig out the video of rick shiels testing the highest launching shaft against the lowest. the difference was about 1.5 degrees.

Is this iron shafts? I've never hit an iron shaft that made my ball go miles in the air. i'd quite like to try it.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just gone with these in my new 718's the fitter tried numerous options and these gave me the best combination of distance and dispersion, I don't feel as if I am hitting them any higher than previous clubs. When struck well they seem to produce a good trajectory and a nice straight ball flight

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is this iron shafts? I've never hit an iron shaft that made my ball go miles in the air. i'd quite like to try it.

Apparently it's nothing to do with shaft technology 'apparently' it's all to do with our poor swing issues, if this is the case then personally I just don't understand why shaft manufacturers bother going to all the trouble of manufacturing different shafts for different swing speeds etc when 'apparently the one shaft should suffice...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tried them after being given a demo club with X100 in. i really liked the flight TBH, but had too much spin according to the fitter

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently it's nothing to do with shaft technology 'apparently' it's all to do with our poor swing issues, if this is the case then personally I just don't understand why shaft manufacturers bother going to all the trouble of manufacturing different shafts for different swing speeds etc when 'apparently the one shaft should suffice...

well, there's a ton of gullible people that think the engine is in the shaft. these people believe a shaft can turn there slice into a draw. there is major money in shafts so why not exploit it?. shafts definitely have a part to play in custom fitting but believe me it more fine tuning than game changing.

to get the most out of a custom shaft you have to have a consistent swing. the vast majority of us dont. its a fitters worst nightmare to have a customer that swing it all over the place to them want results from the equipment.

worth a watch
https://youtu.be/dCT9RWhSTEM

Last edited:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
well, there's a ton of gullible people that think the engine is in the shaft. these people believe a shaft can turn there slice into a draw. there is major money in shafts so why not exploit it?. shafts definitely have a part to play in custom fitting but believe me it more fine tuning than game changing.

to get the most out of a custom shaft you have to have a consistent swing. the vast majority of us dont. its a fitters worst nightmare to have a customer that swing it all over the place to them want results from the equipment.

worth a watch
https://youtu.be/dCT9RWhSTEM

All I can say on the subject is I had a set of 'Speedblades' with 'XP95 regular' shafts in, standard length/lie etc which I couldn't hit for the life of me, all over the place they were, I now own a set of 'King Cobra 3100i/h' irons with 'Nippon NS Pro 1030h' shafts in which a also regular flex which I hit a spot on 'straight as an arrow' still get the odd shank/slice/hook here and there but at least I know it's definitely down to me this time, so as far as I can see (from my own personal experience) different shafts to a greater or lesser extent definitely have an influence over the outcome of your swing...

ps, what is it they say again 'don't change yer swing to fit the club, you change the club to fit yer swing' something like that anyway !...

Last edited: