WW3 -All Russia / Ukraine stuff here please-

Swango1980

Visit site
Heard reported today that UK has actually admitted all of 500 Ukrainian refugees. 500! When there are 200,000 offers of accommodation registered, and such as the Republic of Ireland has admitted more than 20,000. Three weeks after the 'system' was launched (18th March I think) we have admitted 500 - maybe even 1000, it's utterly shameful and embarrassing. What the he** is going on. And please if all that we've got is 'security concerns' then I despair - as if the UK is the only country in Europe that has terrorist security concerns.

It's either a Home Office shambles or something that can't be mentioned never mind discussed. Can anyone explain in a non-P way please why our verification and vetting system is - or has to be - so drawn out. If the answer to that question is 'No' - then so be it. I can draw my own conclusions.
Not sure of the numbers. Are you comparing apples with pears? You say Republic of Ireland has admitted more than 20,000. Is that in the 3 weeks since the UK system was launched (in which you are comparing the 500 UK figure to), or for the entire crisis so far?

I also read an article, dated from 4 days ago, that says 2,700 Visas have been granted in the UK under the new scheme, although the total figure since the beginning of March is 25,500.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not sure of the numbers. Are you comparing apples with pears? You say Republic of Ireland has admitted more than 20,000. Is that in the 3 weeks since the UK system was launched (in which you are comparing the 500 UK figure to), or for the entire crisis so far?

I also read an article, dated from 4 days ago, that says 2,700 Visas have been granted in the UK under the new scheme, although the total figure since the beginning of March is 25,500.

You only have to listen to any one of the thousands that have offer places to refugees to know that the entire system is a shambles. Those who registered on the very first day haven't heard a thing, now it transpires that the department may have lost a load of data which in itself is a serious breach of GDPR but that's another matter. I would tend to agree with SILH in the sense that I think it is embarrassing, asking people to fill in a 50 odd page document when most are on mobile phones and requiring various documentation which a lot haven't got as they weren't exactly thinking that proof of address or a utility bill was top of their list when trying to escape the bombing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Not sure - numbers were given by Nick Ferrari on LBC this morning. Number of visas is one thing - number actually admitted is what Ferrari was having a 'flip' over - though the clip doesn't mention the numbers they were mentioned earlier in his programme - but I think you can tell he's not impressed...

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/passionate-rant-homes-ukraine-scheme/

That said - On Iain Dale's programme a couple or three of days ago Lord Harrington said that he is aiming to have 15,000 visas a week being processed - with each application taking about 48hrs. He will go back on ID show in about two weeks to report back on whether the system has achieved that target and will take responsibility one way or the other. One particular newspaper reported on this a few days ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-hours-applying-aim-15-000-refugees-week.html

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You only have to listen to any one of the thousands that have offer places to refugees to know that the entire system is a shambles. Those who registered on the very first day haven't heard a thing, now it transpires that the department may have lost a load of data which in itself is a serious breach of GDPR but that's another matter. I would tend to agree with SILH in the sense that I think it is embarrassing, asking people to fill in a 50 odd page document when most are on mobile phones and requiring various documentation which a lot haven't got as they weren't exactly thinking that proof of address or a utility bill was top of their list when trying to escape the bombing.
Yes spot on ,especially when that address isn’t there anymore.
It’s just a pile of bricks.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm not saying it isn't poor. My point was, are we genuinely comparing 500 new refugees entering the UK in the last 3 weeks against 20,000 that have entered Ireland in the last 3 weeks? I am very mistrusting when I see statistics being used to make a point, I always like to find out if they are comparing like with like. I'm sure we can all point to media headlines, social media posts and even mainstream journalists quote figures simply to paint a story, yet in reality they are incomparable. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not saying it isn't poor. My point was, are we genuinely comparing 500 new refugees entering the UK in the last 3 weeks against 20,000 that have entered Ireland in the last 3 weeks? I am very mistrusting when I see statistics being used to make a point, I always like to find out if they are comparing like with like. I'm sure we can all point to media headlines, social media posts and even mainstream journalists quote figures simply to paint a story, yet in reality they are incomparable. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
I suggest that if Nick Ferrari and the DM are raising the concerns and making the point, then regardless of the exact numbers then it's probable that the numbers are consistent...there are other LBC presenters and newspapers for whom your scepticism might well be well grounded.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tax cuts NHS struggling like hell, schools under performing and have been for years, and yet we find 100 MILLION QUID. at the drop of a hat for ammo for Ukraine. What the hell is going on?
Also, whilst I'm on, just who is going to prosecute Putin for these war crimes. What a bloody joke.

Swango1980

Visit site
Tax cuts NHS struggling like hell, schools under performing and have been for years, and yet we find 100 MILLION QUID. at the drop of a hat for ammo for Ukraine. What the hell is going on?
Also, whilst I'm on, just who is going to prosecute Putin for these war crimes. What a bloody joke.
Did we find the money, or was it already part of the military budget? I'm assuming there is contingency money for potential global conflicts?

I'm sure most want to prosecute Putin for war crimes. If you have any cast iron ideas on doing that right now, I'm all ears. I'm sure it is quite the conundrum whilst he is still the Russian leader.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putin will never be brought to justice, in court anyway. Imo
One of his own will take him out or he will just live under the protection of Russia until he dies.

4LEX

Visit site
The next few weeks will be interesting.

Russian military under new leadership, regrouped and rearmed. Ukraine emboldened by the defeat of Russia from the mainland, fuelled by the disgusting war crimes and armed to the teeth from Nato and the West. Russia will once against be taught a lesson in modern warfare, probably claim minor wins in the East and hopefully enter peace talks at the end of the month.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Russian military under new leadership, regrouped and rearmed. Ukraine emboldened by the defeat of Russia from the mainland, fuelled by the disgusting war crimes and armed to the teeth from Nato and the West. Russia will once against be taught a lesson in modern warfare, probably claim minor wins in the East and hopefully enter peace talks at the end of the month.
Imo Russia only want a corridor to Crimea. ( I might be wrong).
All the fighting to the West was to split the defence troops over a large area.
They will get what they want as we seem to be standing watching .
But they will have a Ukrainian resistance war forever.
That’s not a good thing imo as how long will the west arm the resistance fighters ?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Apparently the Russian’s aren’t taking any chances, the new guy was responsible for a lot of the going on’s in Syria and it’s unlikely to end well for an awful lot of Ukrainian’s and he’s not going to want to fail as the previous lot have.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
From 23rd March
Russia are finished. Come back and big yourself up in 2 weeks.
Well those 2 weeks are well and truly up!
:rolleyes:
I'd hardly call a civilian catastrophe 'interesting'!

Though I do think the 'proper' strategy - for Russia - is to consolidate the 'predominantly Russian speaking' regions in the areas it still has control of - East and South East before any further attempts in North East or against Kyiv. Of course, Ukraine should try to prevent that!

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just thinking out loud, but I have just had a peruse on the BBC news site and it mentions that Sweden and Finland are seriously thinking of joining NATO. Has Putins quest to invade and try to conquer more land in Ukraine done more harm in strengthening NATO than he could ever imagine.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just thinking out loud, but I have just had a peruse on the BBC news site and it mentions that Sweden and Finland are seriously thinking of joining NATO. Has Putins quest to invade and try to conquer more land in Ukraine done more harm in strengthening NATO than he could ever imagine.
I'm pretty sure as soon as Russia invaded Ukraine, NATO was strengthened more than ever.

RichA

Visit site
Possibly, although judging from today's news it looks like the French are already drafting the terms of their surrender to Russia.

marksman

Visit site
To try and brighten things up a bit . My wife has a very close friend from work who is Ukrainian. Her friend has obviously been extremely anxious since the start of the war for her friends and family back home. Even more so because her mother in Ukraine wasn’t at all worried and didn’t think she needed to leave . Anyway, things moved forward and her friends Mother and niece left Ukraine via Hungary and landed at Edinburgh airport last night. ?. Then travelled back to the North East . The whole process has only taken 7 to 8 days . Made us all unbelievably happy for them and we hope this kind of thing is repeated many times over .