WW3 -All Russia / Ukraine stuff here please-

greenone

Visit site
Another question for you knowledgeable guys:-

The UK seems heavily involved, with Boris in a couple of countries earlier in the week, Lyn Truss in Estonia or somewhere near there with another Minister today.
What are other European Countries doing; I see Macron at times, but very little else?

Why do we always have/ appear to want to take the lead?
Because we are watching British coverage probably.

Swango1980

Visit site

The UK seems heavily involved, with Boris in a couple of countries earlier in the week, Lyn Truss in Estonia or somewhere near there with another Minister today.
What are other European Countries doing; I see Macron at times, but very little else?

Are we taking the lead, or does it just appear that way because, naturally, our media will focus on what the British are doing primarily?

Besides, the UK is one of the biggest (if I can put it that way) NATO countries, with the USA by far the biggest, so it is probably not that surprising to see UK delegates taking a lead with a handful of other countries.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site

I would say the head of the EU and the head of NATO have been on TV all this time - even more than UK ministers/PM. The German Chancellor announced a major major change in the defense budget and arms export philosophy, specifically blaming Russian actions. The French foreign minister has been publicly scathing in his description of Putin. And almost all of Europe except Ireland have now ditched their no arms export to Ukraine stance and are now supplying weapons including anti-tank and anti-air missiles. According to UN and BBC, 1mm refugees have fled Ukraine with Poland having taken in over 500k - in just over a week.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

As others have posted....Our News coverage concentrates on what OUR leaders are doing. No doubt, the same applies to other countries and their leaders.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess as well (this is not a comment on whether it is good or bad before anyone starts) that a number of other nations work their response through the EU to show a united front whereas we are acting on our own. Seen plenty from the EU and NATO.

Going to be interesting for the EU with a couple of requests to join. That would very much move it from a social and commerical pact to a defensive one was well and we would be back on the topic of a standing EU army.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Both are correct.

Other than the reinstatement of the Soviet Bloc, I can see not Russian Motive for this.

Russians per se (from those I've worked with) have no love for war. They suffered greatly in WW2 and the stories are passed down. Mind you, there's a separation of "people" and "politicians" in most places.
Likewise from the several that I have worked with. Not exactly 'typical examples' as they stated they won't be going back, but they did suggest that there's a huge gulf between the approach to life of their politicians (local as well as national) and the general population. There is huge potential for corruption at every level.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess as well (this is not a comment on whether it is good or bad before anyone starts) that a number of other nations work their response through the EU to show a united front whereas we are acting on our own. Seen plenty from the EU and NATO.

Going to be interesting for the EU with a couple of requests to join. That would very much move it from a social and commerical pact to a defensive one was well and we would be back on the topic of a standing EU army.
I can't see how those applying come anywhere close to passing the financial tests to join. There may be an emotional push for this but the cold hard facts will not let them through the door.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't see how those applying come anywhere close to passing the financial tests to join. There may be an emotional push for this but the cold hard facts will not let them through the door.

Agreed but, in the meantime, the EU are going to come under a lot of emotional pressure and it is not easy to come out of it looking good. Not their fault but sadly inevitable.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

If one was cynical/realistic (delete as applicable), one might suggest that it's because it draws attention away from other matters that we can't discuss on here. ;)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off to see my nephew shortly. He's ex army and flies to Poland on Monday and will be taken across the border to fight with the Ukranians. I'm going to try and persuade him otherwise but he is determined and it's all in place for him to go. I admire him but don't want him to go. My poor sister is in bits and flying in from Spain tomorrow to see him.
Quite a few going, unfortunately it could be an own goal propaganda whys if they are caught and wear their old gear.

”NATO forces fighting in Ukraine “ will be the headline.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know it is so easy to be cynical about media manipulation but the video of Ukrainians calling the mum of a Russian soldier so as he could let her know that he was alive and OK but had been captured was hearwarming and gives me some faith in humanity.

From the more hard nosed point, from what i have read, the mothers of deceased russian soldiers in any conflict can be a fierce political power if they turn on the government.
Good tactical move by the Ukraine, good way of the true story to get out to the back woods of Russia.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

All the border countries who are members of NATO are involved heavily reinforced with Brigade size units from UK (my Regiment has been in Estonia since November) and larger forces from the USA. French and German still absent.
The head of the Bundeswher openly slated his politicians for running down the German capabilities over the last 15 years.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yes this. It is organised and he will join one of 150 TA defence battalions or the International Brigade that has been set up. So he's going alone in terms of booking flight and getting to Poland but then is met and crosses the border. He's got a list of kit they want him to try and get and his ex amy pals have worked hard to get him all they can. Otherwise he admits he's not sure what he'll be doing, what arms will be provided etc but is prepared to do anything that's needed. He describes himself as "wired to be a soldier" and is also "fit, healthy and without commitments".

Never served but involved with the RBL. It’s strange talking to some lads re when they come out of the forces. Some of them just cannot adjust, cannot switch off. It’s all they really know. Suffice to say some rejoin or are active involved in the TA. Thoughts and best of luck and love with him.
NoT sure who mentioned it re him taking kit and it/ him being construed as British or NATO. Yesterdays news showed a bloke at a military hardware store offloading loads of military gear and clothing. He was taking all union jack flags off and categorically saying “ that’s it’s to ensure there is no misunderstanding that the British are not in Ukraine” Should anyone be captured wearing the stuff.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never served but involved with the RBL. It’s strange talking to some lads re when they come out of the forces. Some of them just cannot adjust, cannot switch off. It’s all they really know. Suffice to say some rejoin or are active involved in the TA. Thoughts and best of luck and love with him.
NoT sure who mentioned it re him taking kit and it/ him being construed as British or NATO. Yesterdays news showed a bloke at a military hardware store offloading loads of military gear and clothing. He was taking all union jack flags off and categorically saying “ that’s it’s to ensure there is no misunderstanding that the British are not in Ukraine” Should anyone be captured wearing the stuff.
Hopefully you don’t refer to anyone in the Army Reserve as TA :ROFLMAO: although the acronym STAB & SAS can still be used :cool:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thanks for your 4 replies. Appreciated and valid comments.

One thing that this war has done is to “ force” the germans to now pay 2% of its GDP into the military. Before it was 1% and stuck in the throat of Trump when he was President. There’s a clip of him somewhere and he is not happy with Germany. He tells them we are protecting Europe through NATO and yet you are giving Billions to Russia in gas money.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That Russian 40km army convoy has stalled apparently because it has run out of fuel. And Russia is the world’s largest producer of hydrocarbons. Yes, as Putin says, it is all going to plan