WW3 -All Russia / Ukraine stuff here please-

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I haven't seen any public condemnation of Pakistan's PM, Imran Kahn, who visited Putin today to discuss strengthening relations between the 2 countries.
On the very day that Russia waged war with Ukraine, and all as if nothing had happened.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I haven't seen any public condemnation of Pakistan's PM, Imran Kahn, who visited Putin today to discuss strengthening relations between the 2 countries.
On the very day that Russia waged war with Ukraine, and all as if nothing had happened.

Imran Khan is as dodgy as they come

How long until China declare their support for Russia?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dictatorship versus democracy. Pause. Rewind. Play. Sad times. I never thought I'd see a war in Europe during my lifetime.

The world needs to show Russia (and China) by coming together and freezing assets and doubling down on sanctions ASAP. The UK sanctions agency (OFSI) has only designated 5 banks and 3 oligarchs (Timchenko and Boris and Igor Rotenberg) so far, which means their assets have been frozen, and funds can't be made available to them. The proposed package of sanctions include 351 individuals and 27 high profile individuals and entities. There's been no date regarding when the regulations will come into effect but an announcement is expected today.

i wish they would hurry up. We're essentially funding the Russians while they are invading.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dictatorship versus democracy. Pause. Rewind. Play. Sad times. I never thought I'd see a war in Europe during my lifetime.

The world needs to show Russia (and China) by coming together and freezing assets and doubling down on sanctions ASAP. The UK sanctions agency (OFSI) has only designated 5 banks and 3 oligarchs (Timchenko and Boris and Igor Rotenberg) so far, which means their assets have been frozen, and funds can't be made available to them. The proposed package of sanctions include 351 individuals and 27 high profile individuals and entities. There's been no date regarding when the regulations will come into effect but an announcement is expected today.

i wish they would hurry up. We're essentially funding the Russians while they are invading.
The new sanctions that can be applied will be done today with legislation on Monday to enable the rest.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The new sanctions that can be applied will be done today with legislation on Monday to enable the rest.
Had a lie in this morning, so Missis T said that the “ SWIFT “ money system. (I honestly don’t know what it is), but she said “a couple of countries are loathe to stop the Russians from using it at the moment”. But Ave not see out on the box, would all countries need to agree to this for it to happen.

Swango1980

Visit site
Imran Khan is as dodgy as they come

How long until China declare their support for Russia?
The China situation interests me. Before all this really kicked off, I understand Russian troops were stationed on the Chinese border, as they were nervous about what China may do. I think they have a temporary resolution, which has allowed Russia to go full steam ahead into Ukraine, seemingly with Chinese support.

However, does China REALLY want a strong, powerful neighbour in Russia? China have their own personal interests. I'm wondering if China are supporting Russia's invasion of Ukraine, but only because they suspect it will make Russia much weaker (and even the western world). In fact, if Russia start getting battered, could China then come in and finish them off?

It is really difficulty to read anyone in this, it is just like a real world game of Risk or Civilisation.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The crazy despot Putin.
Yes but one man should not have this much power.
His generals will be loving it, gives them a reason to exist.
So nobody with any influence will confront him sadly.
Ordinary Russians will be devastated by this.
Just a big dog attacking a small dog.
But I fear he has calculated these sanctions into the plan.
So we need a radical plan now.
Maybe ban them from international trade with the West for 10 yrs minimum.
I don’t know what we can do without hurting ourselves and others that is where he has been very clever.
Our politico’s have been to close to Russia and others for far to long making us dependant on them far to much.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The China situation interests me. Before all this really kicked off, I understand Russian troops were stationed on the Chinese border, as they were nervous about what China may do. I think they have a temporary resolution, which has allowed Russia to go full steam ahead into Ukraine, seemingly with Chinese support.

However, does China REALLY want a strong, powerful neighbour in Russia? China have their own personal interests. I'm wondering if China are supporting Russia's invasion of Ukraine, but only because they suspect it will make Russia much weaker (and even the western world). In fact, if Russia start getting battered, could China then come in and finish them off?

It is really difficulty to read anyone in this, it is just like a real world game of Risk or Civilisation.
Yes it’s good when your opponents start fighting with each other.

Swango1980

Visit site
Had a lie in this morning, so Missis T said that the “ SWIFT “ money system. (I honestly don’t know what it is), but she said “a couple of countries are loathe to stop the Russians from using it at the moment”. But Ave not see out on the box, would all countries need to agree to this for it to happen.
I believe ALL sanctions are being set as joint decisions between all the western nations, rather than individual nations doing what they like.

Obviously a lot has been made of SWIFT, and I guess if that was the only sanction then it would really hurt Russia. But, given all the other major Sanctions, then would the addition of including SWIFT really hurt them much more relatively? Or, could it actually cause more pain to some western nations, like Germany?

I guess it is a balancing act. If you scaled sanctions from 1-10, 10 being the most damaging to a country, then you could include SWIFT in the sanctions and have an impact of 10 on Russia. However, the impact on western nations (or some western nations) could be a 7. Whereas, if you didn't include SWIFT, then the impact on Russia might be slightly reduced, say a scale of 9. However, the impact on western nations would only be 4. So, relatively speaking between Russia and the west, the damage is higher to Russia NOT including SWIFT, even though the absolute greatest damage to Russia is by including SWIFT.

I'm assuming this must be the case, because unlike things like Brexit / Covid, I am pretty sure everyone is fully united against the Russians, and so I am sure the west want to ensure they enforce the most severe sanctions on them, whilst limiting the damage to ourselves

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We can't overly punish China. Everything is from there or made there.

We can't massively punish Russian money. A lot of it is involved in our government rightly or wrongly

It's all a mess.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Without wishing to dilute the atrocities playing out at the moment, but I think it's tenuously linked to sanctions but there was mention on Sky Sports this morning that sport needs to do more and every Russian team and national association across all sports need to be banned until Putin leaves Ukraine. Great to see Vettel coming out and saying that even if the F1 goes ahead in Russia later in the year he'll not be driving

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We can't overly punish China. Everything is from there or made there.

We can't massively punish Russian money. A lot of it is involved in our government rightly or wrongly

It's all a mess.
Yes spot on ,we are in a mess of our own making.
There is to much dependency on other countries here.
It’s like Putin planned this over the years he has outmanovered the west.
We can’t sanction him without hurting ourselves.
He’s very clever.