wtd. mp33s

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
ive been offered some mizuno Mp33s now I LOVE these clubs.

they are good nick and reasonable money. I currently play of 20, but my biggest let down is putting.

I have off days were confidence deserts me but on average im a pretty solid striker of the ball,

obviously any mp club will not be ideal for my ability but previously I had a problem with my driving and I change to a mp001 driver
which actually let me feel how bad much some of my drives were coming of the club face and since playing it I have improved(abit)

I could probably afford to keep my current mx100 irons and just hit these mp33s down the range, would they be a useful training tool?
a club with more feedback>?

help.

Phil

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
MP33s are a Tour quality blade, and are still very popular among good players. Probably not for the average handicapper, though. If you respond to feedback from ballstriking, they may help your practice. Some players find that they are forced to concentrate on making a good strike with blades.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’m a reasonable ball striker myself and have the MP32. If they are really cheap get them and learn to use them.
But I would say if you are not right on your game they would be very hard to hit consistently for a 20 handicapper. Plenty of people tell me I’m to high a handicap to use them.
But only you can decide

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dodgy condition ratings alert!!!

How the hell can he rate those faces and grips @ 7.5 minimum!!??

Looks a good player from his strike marks though.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Philm, my only concern would be the shafts.
Do you use stiff or regular shafts in your present irons?
I think you'll find most sets of Mp 33s will be fitted with stiff shafts (s300/s400), however, having said that, I've just found these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIZUNO-MP-33-IRONS...lf_GolfClubs_JN

How do they compare price wise?

that’s the ones bobmac, he said I could have them for 145 so I think ill take him up on his offer.

do they look alright to your trained eye?

and yes they are reg shafts.

Phil

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't bother buying a set of clubs I didn't think I could use and certainly not a whole set just to use as range clubs. I'd be investing in some lessons to getting my handicap down and my swing more consistant. That way you'll open up a myriad of clubs that you will be able to play with. A lot of top players (including pros) are shying away from blades in favour of minimal cavity backs. Why not look at those instead and at least give yourself some margin of forgiveness on the mis-hit ones.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
thanks guys for the insight, have an offer for 135 lodged but if he wants more than that ill have to pull out.

if i could retract my offer i would.

but they are just soo pretty.

Phil

A

Alex1975

I have been following and enjoying this post as I was going to make one the same but for the Callaway X forged clubs. I know the answer though so i did not make the post. I love the clubs, they feel so so nice and they go pretty cheep now but it would just not be a good buy long turm. Even as I write this I still want them.

Anyway I sota posted to fellow on from what Homer said about better players going away from blades to slight cavaty backs, the Cally X forge are just that, maybe get a cheep 6 iron for the range, there are alot of them out there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Callaway-X-Forged-...=item27b6aeb138

I do have a question though, why is it us high/mid handicapers lust over smaller clubs so badly, I know I do. I fell on love when I saw the Ping 56s and when I hit the X forged. What is it about a small head that turns us on?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Alex, I think its due to believing and buying into all of the hype.
Hearing of classic pros using tiny headed 2 irons etc. In all honesty, I wouldn't want them, I am too inconsistent to do the justice. My titleists are great in that they are far from oversize but are certainly not tiny either. Wouldn't change them for the world. Id bet Ben Hogan et al would have been better golfers with todays small cavity back styled clubs.

lee trevinos 1 iron, 1971, tell me you would want that? :eek:
08gh3e9p0319.jpg

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am guessing here but that looks like lead up the back of the club to allow a little more forgiveness. Could be wrong though as it is well up the back and wouldnt be helping the ball into the air with the COG being raised.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over the years, I have used proper blades, starting with Mizuno Pro Originals in the late 80s and including Slazenger Seve irons, but also used GI clubs such as Mizuno Comp EZ, which would be a MX-type club today, and players cavity backs such as MP60s.

I recently went back to blades with a set of MP68s. I didn't do that to make life harder for myself or play worse golf, but I think the importance of the head design and forgiveness is over-rated and over-sold. The shaft is a much more important consideration and has a much greater effect on shots than the head anyway.

If you have been brought up on Callaway shovels or Pings, sure, a blade might look pretty unhittable, but for someone who likes a simple clean look, they offer some advantages, particularly in the short irons. I am much happier hitting a blade 8 iron than a Callaway Big bertha any day of the week, and i don't have much trouble getting my 4 iron (the longest iron I carry) away.

Anyone who fancies a go with blades should give them a bash. Head down to the local Mizuno dealer with a demo cart and take a MP68, a MP63 and a MP53 and hit them side by side. The differences may be less than you think.

A

Alex1975

went ahead and got mx200s instead ill let you all know how they go!

Phil

I think thats a good call, I think you will like them, how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

I am looking at a set of MX-25s, they are aimed at the same player as the MX200s but a little older.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think thats a good call, I think you will like them, how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

I am looking at a set of MX-25s, they are aimed at the same player as the MX200s but a little older.

paid 250 new and hope to get 140ish for my mx100s so a 110 pound turn around.

Phil