Wrong shaft?

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought my driver Cobra S2 offset from ebay last year. With what I thought was a regualr shaft.

I was cleaning the club yesterday and noticed the shaft is 55g lite which I looked up and is a senior shaft.

My question is.....How much of a difference does it make?

A

Alex1975

does it feel ok when you play with it? Is the flight as you would like? does it feel very whippy? are you getting good distance compared to your old driver? does it feel like it hooks or pushed too easy?

Are you senior?

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was a strong mid 20s with a tumbling handicap but my smooth tempo swing fitted a stiff shaft designed for the low handicapper senior or lady player. It was more due to my smooth style, fairway drives were in the 250+ area!

If I tried for a faster swing style with the driver I would have needed a stiffer shaft but I was told that as I got better I would build up the speed through technique, it was more of a shaft for the "now" than for the future and I would need to change once I swung faster consistently.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been playing a year and noticed my shots were progressively going higher...and rpfurther right. Changed my amateur shaft to a regular shaft and everything is straight again for now...cost me £11 for a new club lol...and mine old one is worth about £40 so made some money and yardage!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought my driver Cobra S2 offset from ebay last year. With what I thought was a regualr shaft.

I was cleaning the club yesterday and noticed the shaft is 55g lite which I looked up and is a senior shaft.

My question is.....How much of a difference does it make?

Up to 25 years!

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Using range balls I am pretty inconsistant. I was at range today and used some balls from my bag at end of session. A titleist and a few callaway Hx's and the difference was unreal. All the branded balls when straight and hitting around the 200 marker or a bit farther. Very high ball flight and thus not much run.

Would shaft make difference on distance?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would shaft make difference on distance?

Yes, it might. The right shaft is the one which gives you enough, but not too much elevation and spin, and getting the right combination of those will give the optimal trajectory. Too stiff or heavy and you won't get the ball flighted, too soft and or light and you will hit it all over the place, left and right, and probably too high and soft too.

Range balls are not a great test of what you will expect on the course, so I would go by the branded balls instead. If they performed well, then maybe no need to change at all.

How far do you hot your 6 iron, and what shaft is in it?

Last edited: