Wrap style grips

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really like the look of wrap grips and I'm due for a re-grip on my clubs (Golfpride MCC4'S,) but have always associated them with being terrible in damp conditions. As I play in the UK and lets face it, it loves to be damp/wet for about 90% of the year it feels! I don't want to fork out for a new set of grips only to have to change them in the winter/wet seasons, if I win the lottery then it won't make any difference, but as I haven't (yet) I was wondering if anyone uses them year round and any feedback?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I like and use wraps style grips, unless you're talking about leather wraps they're no different to ordinary grips in my experience.

I buy cheap on ebay, a grip is just rubber after all, if it loses it's tackiness just replace.

There are bargains to be had on ebay, I recently picked these up for £30, 12 grips and a bargain IMHO.

I also have leather wraps on some of my clubs but I never play with those in the rain so can't help you there.

116436392_218287192736298_8020896330318235971_n.png

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Saturday in heavy rain with golf pride wrap grips, they were fine but I used a pair of FJ rain gloves when it was really wet.
Only started using the grips this year and really like them, I find they absorb vibrations well and feel nice and tacky which is great as I have dry hands.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like and use wraps style grips, unless you're talking about leather wraps they're no different to ordinary grips in my experience.

I buy cheap on ebay, a grip is just rubber after all, if it loses it's tackiness just replace.

There are bargains to be had on ebay, I recently picked these up for £30, 12 grips and a bargain IMHO.

I also have leather wraps on some of my clubs but I never play with those in the rain so can't help you there.

116436392_218287192736298_8020896330318235971_n.png

I agree with the comment about these being terrible in wet weather conditions. The full cord version were superb.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like the look of wrap grips and I'm due for a re-grip on my clubs (Golfpride MCC4'S,) but have always associated them with being terrible in damp conditions. As I play in the UK and lets face it, it loves to be damp/wet for about 90% of the year it feels! I don't want to fork out for a new set of grips only to have to change them in the winter/wet seasons, if I win the lottery then it won't make any difference, but as I haven't (yet) I was wondering if anyone uses them year round and any feedback?

The ones like Crow posted a picture of were terrible in the wet. I once ripped them off a brand new full set of irons because they were so bad. The ones the Golf Pride currently offer do not look a lot different to me.

If you look at the patterning and compare with the ones suggested by spongebob you will see the difference.
or against somethng like these

http://www.adoregolfgrips.com/royal-grip-interlocking-wrap-grips-black/
http://www.adoregolfgrips.com/royal-grip-v-sand-wrap-grips-black/

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The ones like Crow posted a picture of were terrible in the wet. I once ripped them off a brand new full set of irons because they were so bad. The ones the Golf Pride currently offer do not look a lot different to me.

If you look at the patterning and compare with the ones suggested by spongebob you will see the difference.
or against somethng like these

http://www.adoregolfgrips.com/royal-grip-interlocking-wrap-grips-black/
http://www.adoregolfgrips.com/royal-grip-v-sand-wrap-grips-black/
Crikey! Those first ones look like the tread on my car tyres. :oops:

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
I love corded wrap grips bit they tend to get discontinued after a couple of years and I have to move on to another type. Got bored of this and I've used the tour velvet ever since ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Came this morning so slipped on one for a trial ( can't get to the range so just swung a club in the garden)

Excellent grip/ traction in the dry with and without a glove and also with a all weather glove . Soaked the grip and was still ok with a glove but tended to slip once I took the glove off ( certainly not as bad as other wraps Ive used).
I then soaked the glove and grip and it still felt
ok in the gloved hand but the right hand grip didn't feel.secure in my fingers.
Guess I need to try them in the rain but if be happy to use them in the dry

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Put nine on, even had a spare for a putter that had an awful grip.
I was tempted to do the sand iron but that's got an original leather wrap so I left it, no OCD issues for me. ;)

I'm not fussed about wet grips for these as if there's any inkling of rain then I'll play a less cherished set.

116418833_2198521280273078_4794722282895736067_n.png

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Put nine on, even had a spare for a putter that had an awful grip.
I was tempted to do the sand iron but that's got an original leather wrap so I left it, no OCD issues for me. ;)

I'm not fussed about wet grips for these as if there's any inkling of rain then I'll play a less cherished set.

116418833_2198521280273078_4794722282895736067_n.png

Just to get it right, are these golf pride rubbish in the wet, as I'm thinking of finally getting a new set of grips put on my Hogan apex ii's to match some that are fitted on my newly bought Ben hogan woods?

I may only use them about 4-6 times a year, and probably only in the dry, but in case I start to play at vintage tournaments, would like something that is good in all weathers.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just to get it right, are these golf pride rubbish in the wet, as I'm thinking of finally getting a new set of grips put on my Hogan apex ii's to match some that are fitted on my newly bought Ben hogan woods?

I may only use them about 4-6 times a year, and probably only in the dry, but in case I start to play at vintage tournaments, would like something that is good in all weathers.

No idea Peter, I've never used these before, only bought them because they were going cheap. I normally buy cheap-as-chips grips and wear Mac-Wets in the rain.

But talking of vintage tournaments, it might be too late for you but there's one at Morecambe GC this Friday, I'm playing and I see that Jason Dolman is down too, currently with a spare slot in his tee time.

https://www.morecambegolfclub.com/competition.php?compid=711

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No idea Peter, I've never used these before, only bought them because they were going cheap. I normally buy cheap-as-chips grips and wear Mac-Wets in the rain.

But talking of vintage tournaments, it might be too late for you but there's one at Morecambe GC this Friday, I'm playing and I see that Jason Dolman is down too, currently with a spare slot in his tee time.

https://www.morecambegolfclub.com/competition.php?compid=711

Yeah mate, Jay told me about this the other week, but I'm up at Close house this Friday.