Wow: New Wedge: 52deg Titelist Vokey.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Having previously coped with only standard 48deg PW and 56deg Sand Wedge, I tool the plunge and bought a 52deg Titleist Vokey wedge. What a club: the feel and control that this gives me, especially from 30 yds and closer, are night and day from older clubs. Apparently the fact that the Vokey is forged and not cast gives it more feel.

Now, Vokey replacements for the 48deg and 56 deg are on the Wish List (although below a Sky Caddie, that's still #1 on the list)

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Certainly the control with short-ish chips shots is great; you can really get the ball to bite on landing. Our greens are brick hard and running very fast and the Vokey has been a revelation.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Parmo, do you think the fact that your Mizuno is forged makes a big difference? A few people (my pro included) mentioned to me that forged wedges are much better; now that I'm using one I think they are streets ahead.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Parmo, do you think the fact that your Mizuno is forged makes a big difference? A few people (my pro included) mentioned to me that forged wedges are much better; now that I'm using one I think they are streets ahead.

For control they are streets ahead of cast irons, I use my SW & PW MX19s and although good I like more control around the greens than they give.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
vokeys are not forged i remember watching a video about them they cant make enough of them for the tour players quick enough,they feel lovelly though as i got 3 one standard vokey 52 which is good pitching club,a 56 with high bounce for soft fairways rough and heavy sand and a 60 deg with low bounce for tight lies hard fairways and bunkers with not much/compact sand they my babies

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Wow, someones doing well selling 52's at the moment, recently got one myself. Must be because of the huge, umm, gap, between the PW and SW nowadays. Or are we just bad at playing more imaginative shots with the PW and SW?

Either way don't care, I like my wedges, and I had to lose other clubs to get it back down to 14.

Glad that you're happy with it Andy, very worthwhile weapon to carry.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Hapless,

I bought the 52deg to fill the gap between the SW (100yds absolute max) and the 48deg PW (130 max) but funnily enough it was around the greens that I really felt that the Vokey came into it's own. On Monday I got up and down from off the green 5 holes in a row, 4 from 4-6ft and one from 10ft. On the v fast greens at my course, it seemed to get the ball to bite on landing and roll gently to the hole instead of shooting 15yds past (as per previous experience)

As for distance, it's about 115 max.

Before I only carried 12 clubs, so now up to 13 with space for the 60deg Vokey ;)

Key stats for Andy Richmond (Hcap: 12)

Fairways Hit: 54% (Hcap Std: 9)
Greens In Reg: 26% (Hcap Std: 12)
Putts Per Round: 33.12 (Hcap Std: 15)
Sand Saves: 10% (Hcap Std: 18)
Birdie Conversion: 13% (Hcap Std: 16)
Par Scrambles: 19% (Hcap Std: 16)
Driving Distance: 240 (Hcap Std: 7)
Penalties Per Round: 1.28 (Hcap Std: 13)

Rounds Recorded: 20
Date Range: Current Year: 01/01/2008 to 27/05/2008
Produced by Scoresaver 2. www.scoresaver.co.uk