Would you give up amateur status for a hole-in-one prize?

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got talking about this subject in the office. If you played at a golf day and scored a hole in one, would you be prepared to give up your amateur status for the prize. If it was a car I wouldn't have much trouble deciding.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sleeve of Top Flites?

Maybe for a dozen 'Tour Edition' or Molitor.

I would take the car, sell it, and spend the cash on getting Old Bill Torrance to straighten me up and get me off 3 or 4.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think handicap matters where amateur status is concerned. If you get an ace and are off 28 - claim the car and you're a pro! Just how much is your weekly medal and handicap worth to you. I'm off 20 and would REALLY miss the banter of club competitions. I reckon the prize would have to be worth £5,000 or more to tempt me.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the prize limit for amateur tournaments is £500. If you accept more then you lose your amateur status (although you don't become a pro - it's golfing limbo-land - no more medals for you). You can apply to be re-instated but you may be asked to wait 2 years.

I heard that Sir Bobby Charlton had this problem. Hole in one - car. Had to give it to charity, which is the only way of accepting the car and retaining your status within the rules.

I dare say if it was a nice Merc then I'd forego the medals for a couple of years !

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It did indeed happen to Bobby Charlton:

http://www.christie.nhs.uk/PressRelease/2004/080904_1.htm

The same thing happened to Derek Lawrenson, who I think was golf correspondent for the Sunday Telegraph at the time. He won a £180,000 Lamborghini Diablo for a hole in one at Mill Ride golf club in Berkshire in May 1999 but needless to say he didn't have to think too long about whether or not to keep it! Well, sell it actually but you know what I mean.

Apparently he has to wait till 2009 before he can apply to have his amateur status back. I think I could live with that...