Would new clubs really help me?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read Golf Monthly every month and spend a fair bit of time (too much) on here. There is a common theme in the magazine that having modern, up to date clubs, which have specifically been fitted to me is the best way to go.

I'm sure that is right, but is that a reason for me to replace my clubs?

I currently play with a set of Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl's, the black pearl finish is all but faded away now, but that doesn't really bother me. The clubs were first released in 2009 I think, so relatively old, has the technology in irons moved on much in the last 7 or 8 years? I bought my set in 2012, they're completely standard and I got them for a good price (£279 inc. a free wedge).

My eye is now roving though for a new set of irons. I've got my eye on a set of Srixon Z565's or perhaps Mizuno JPX900's. Something that to my eye has clean lines and is classy looking, but actually still pretty forgiving. I've never been a fan of super game improvement clubs as I like to feel whether I hit the middle of the club face or not and find some super game improvement clubs have a slightly numb feel. My CG7s are pretty much where I like a club to be; some feedback, but plenty of forgiveness.

Given I'm 5'8, my assumption is that if I had a fitting for a new set, I probably wouldn't be too far from the standard specification, so it would be a matter of identifying the shaft that works best for me.

The main reason I'm considering changing my irons is because I want to. In my opinion, that's a great reason in itself. I just wondered if people actually think there might be some read benefit to me too? i.e. custom fitting might help, or a more modern up to date set might help.

I don't really want this to descend into another debate around custom fitting, if I was buying a new set, I would definitely be custom fitted for them, my question is really limited to whether a new set of clubs would actually be likely to help me play better golf. My gut instinct is that the difference would probably be marginal, but if I want a new set, I should just go ahead and buy one anyway!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am in a similar place at the moment. I bought my current iron set (MacGregor VFoil M455) used on ebay about 1 1/2 years ago for very little money. My intention was to play them maximum for one season, until I could afford to get a "real" fitted set. But I am now faced with the dilemma that I absolutely love those irons. Okay, admittedly, they are dead ugly. But they are super forgiving while at the same time being forged, which gives them a really nice soft feel and even allows me to shape the ball a little, even though they are game improvement irons. So while part of me still craves something shiny and new, and I feel like I fully deserve to spend some money on new clubs, on the other hand I doubt that there are any current iron sets out there that would actually serve my game better than what I have.

I haven't completely made my mind up yet, but I think what I will do is to invest in an independent club fitting. It will cost about 100 € to do that, but at least according to his reputation, the guy I am thinking about using is not trying to sell you something if it does not really benefit your game.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey Canary, I'm 5'8 in shoes and while I was custom fit at Pings HQ for a minor lie alteration (blue dot), I bought my currents irons on ebay and they are perfect. Had the lie and loft checked on them and when I struck the board they were spot on - at standard lie.

Reason for change? Started striking the ball better after lessons (with Bobmac) and was advised that the G15s I was rocking were no longer needed, that I'd get a better result from something more workable. And I certainly do, love my Mizzys.

Just after Xmas I picked up a Titleist 915 to replace my G15 driver. I've gained real distance, noticable both on course and at my local range. The reason? I certainly "feel" like when I middle one with this I know it, whereas anywhere ballpark sweetspot with the Ping felt the same. Not sure if that translates to distance. What more likely does is the shaft. The Titleist one is still regular but feels much stiffer than the Ping one, possibly it's heavier. Regardless I can get into it more, am middling it more, and like I say I'm now in parts of the fairway previously unreachable.

Do new bats work? Yes they do. Will I change again for a few years? No. Should you change? If you have the money and you fancy those shiney irons, why the hell not.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting - thank you both.

If I did buy a new set, I'd be buying them with a view to keeping them for 5 years plus. I don't even really think of my current set as being old, but I guess they are a bit now. I think that's an investment I can justify!

Adding a further question then....

If I'm interested in something like the Srizon Z565 and the Mizuno JPX 900, what else should I be giving a test drive?

D

Deleted member 1147

Titleist AP2s don't look too dissimilar to those Srixons, and they are a very good club.

G

guest100718

a lot of the articels out there have a tendancy to massively overstate the benefits of getting fitted for modern kit, making claims like it will knock 5 shots off your handicap... it wont make much differnce at all. Ive been fitted a few times and while its fun, dont expect miracles, but like you say, who doesnt like new stuff.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
a lot of the articels out there have a tendancy to massively overstate the benefits of getting fitted for modern kit, making claims like it will knock 5 shots off your handicap... it wont make much differnce at all. Ive been fitted a few times and while its fun, dont expect miracles, but like you say, who doesnt like new stuff.
Seems like a mental thing to me. Rather than fitted clubs actually performing massively better, I would say more than half of any improvement you see would just be from the confidence of knowing your clubs have been fitted to you. The only club I had a fitting for was my putter, but that's certainly the feeling I get from using that now. My putting has got better since then, but also I could have bought the same putter without being fitted for it, and it would be interesting whether the improvement would have been the same without that confidence of knowing for sure it's right for me, rather than just 'trying it out'. (Impossible to prove one way or the other though really.)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That thread about delusions....

New kit improving golfers must rank pretty highly on that.

Remember that golf mags are sponsored by equipment manufacturers. They have every possible interest in selling you stuff you don't need. Preferably for the highest possible price.

Of course, if you just want to, because you want to, then fair enough. Just don't imagine it'll make any difference. Me? I'd rather spend it on playing nice courses or going for a trip with a couple of mates.

D

Deleted member 1147

New clubs (especially CF'd) can help you get the most out of the game you have, ie to get fit to your current swing. But they will not make you a better golfer, that's what lessons and practice are for, and don't be surprised if after improving your game you need different clubs.

Adverts can be misleading, particularly the distances quoted.
With a driver a fitter could make up a club which puts very little spin on the ball, this could go miles when hit well, but could be awful if hit badly. Conversely too much spin can go nice and straight but lose distance easily. So the best club set up may not give you the extra 20 yds advertised in the magazines, but should add some distance and add some accuracy.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That thread about delusions....

New kit improving golfers must rank pretty highly on that.

Remember that golf mags are sponsored by equipment manufacturers. They have every possible interest in selling you stuff you don't need. Preferably for the highest possible price.

Of course, if you just want to, because you want to, then fair enough. Just don't imagine it'll make any difference. Me? I'd rather spend it on playing nice courses or going for a trip with a couple of mates.

What's in your bag Pendodave? Do you use old kit?

I was going to put a comment in my original post about the mutual benefit of hyping up new equipment that exists between club manufacturers and golf magazines but thought it didn't need to be said, it's something of a statement of the obvious.

I agree with what you're saying though, as I noted, I wouldn't expect it to make anything more than a marginal difference.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New clubs (especially CF'd) can help you get the most out of the game you have, ie to get fit to your current swing. But they will not make you a better golfer, that's what lessons and practice are for, and don't be surprised if after improving your game you need different clubs.

Adverts can be misleading, particularly the distances quoted.
With a driver a fitter could make up a club which puts very little spin on the ball, this could go miles when hit well, but could be awful if hit badly. Conversely too much spin can go nice and straight but lose distance easily. So the best club set up may not give you the extra 20 yds advertised in the magazines, but should add some distance and add some accuracy.

Thanks James, sensible stuff.

I was fitted as part of a GM feature for the SLDR. Only problem was, I couldn't launch the SLDR as it didn't have enough loft for my swing given the low and forward centre of gravity. So I ended up with an RBZ2. Which is exactly to your point I think; the SLDR probably was TaylorMade's longest ever driver, it certainly was not for me though!

I'm not really bothered about distance, more consistency. The main driver of that is of course me, and not my clubs.

Still, not necessarily a reason not to get new clubs, just not a reason to help me justify it! I still think just wanting to buy some new clubs is the best justification though...

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Let's face it, you're going to buy new irons.

Once you've looked there's no turning back. We've all been there. Page after page, listing after lising, row after row of new shineys or classics from years gone by for an price you just can't turn down.

Then you see the ones! Your brain starts ticking and the excuses for the latest splurge start rolling around in your mind until you've convinced yourself you were stupid to have doubts in the first place. Anyhow, your tv bill went down this year and your MOT was £100 less than you thought it was so aren't you pretty much in the black anyway???

It's over in a flash, somehow the 'Buy it now' button was clicked or money has mysteriously levitated from pocket to till and it's done.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's in your bag Pendodave? Do you use old kit?

Cobra fly z driver (2nd hand ebay)
Callaway razr 5 wood (bought from mate)
ping g10 24/21 hybrids (12 years old)
ping g5 or mizuno comp ez irons depending on how I'm striking (both old enough not to have an AG trade in value)
Ping ketsch putter - brand new last year. the shame...

I practice what I preach!!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My entire set is now ebay/forum 2nd hand purchases. I guess I could reiterate what I said in a single sentence:

Don't buy clubs to get better, get better to deserve better clubs.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
New clubs are unlikely to help your game, but if you've got the disposable income to treat yourself then they're nice to have. Unlikely to make things worse.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an infrequent golfer spending the £129 on lessons that I have done for this year (1 every 4 weeks) is going to make 10-15 shots difference for me out on the course. A club for the same price won't do that.
My current swing has a chance of me breaking 90 for my 1st 18 this year, my swing 2 months ago had barely a hope of breaking 100

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
New custom fitted bats won't make you better, but give you a better chance to improve.

I think most of us would get new irons. Just because you can; that feeling of buying, unwrapping and putting them into play. They say you can't buy happiness, but in this case, I think you can :D